The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

car only firing on two cylinders

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenneth

Probationary Member
Jan 17, 2011
cottondale, Alabama
im buying a car from a friend of mine and the car is only firing on 1 & 4 cylinders 2 & 3 dont even have fire coming from the coil even tho the coil has already been changed... any suggestions? thanks

That issue usually is coil pack or power transistor or happen to have 2 bad spark plug wires

swap out the plug wires with the ones that do work (unplug it completely and swap it so to not change the firing order.) and with the car on, unplug wire from valve cover if you c ark then its the wire. if you dont its the coil.

do one at a time.

its a process of elimination.

check the wires to the coil pack make sure there not cracked. But most likely when no spark in 2 cylinders power transistor burned out.

Just because that was your problem, doesnt mean its his. Theres several things that could be wrong.

I'm going to put all my money on power transistor. Cheap, easy fix. Just don't let him know you know what it is and try and get it for cheap. :thumb:

I understand your trying to help maxter22, but dont say its 100% this. Cause if he goes out and buys it, and its not it then hes out x amount of dollars. Better to give out an idea of what it is. Unfortunately his problem could be several things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back