The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

firing on all cylinders?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Gina2G

10+ Year Contributor
May 6, 2011
Beaufort, South_Carolina
how does one tell if there's misfires, or if all cylinders are firing? How would the engine sound while running?

there would be a noticeable difference in sound at idle. What I have always done is start at the number 1 plug and while car is running pull it up off the spark plug. If that cylinder is missing and not firing then there will be no change in sound. If you pull it off and the engine idle sounds different then that cylinder is firing. Do this for all 4 cylinders. If you do all four and each one changes the sound then they are all firing

there would be a noticeable difference in sound at idle. What I have always done is start at the number 1 plug and while car is running pull it up off the spark plug. If that cylinder is missing and not firing then there will be no change in sound. If you pull it off and the engine idle sounds different then that cylinder is firing. Do this for all 4 cylinders. If you do all four and each one changes the sound then they are all firing

Thanks alot for the reply. Always reading about people who find that one or more of their cylinders aren't firing, never figured out how they could tell.

I was also wondering, since I have a inductive timing light, would I be able to use the spark plug sensor to see if all the wires light up? That should work right?

IMO misfires on 4 bangers are very easy to identify. you will hear a short hesitation or shudder. as to what cylinder it is coming from, remove one plug wire from the plug at a time. listen to the rmp at idle of the car. it the rmp drops when you remove that plug wire that cylinder is firing. if the rmp doesn't change once a wire is removed that is a "dead" cylinder. good luck

You can tell if your care is misfiring, if you gas it, and you feel a loss of power when increasing pressure on the pedal. Also u will notice the change in feel of the car as it happens.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back