The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Firing on only two cylinders

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garputo2

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 17, 2010
Walla Walla, Washington
The coils are good if you switch the wires on them in the back the other one will work but they both wont work at the same time. I belive the cam sensor has a crack but I dont think this will cause no spark on one of the coils and not the other any ideas?

power transistor or aka ignition control module check it could be bad 100 part from the zone

replace the cam shaft sensor. It has a crack you stated, and that all it needs to throw the computer off. Its worth the try. I had the same problem in my eclipse 420A happen to me. A $40.00 part became 6 months of trouble shooting just because of a hairline crack in the camshaft magnet. And this was at a mitsu dealership that couldn't figure it out, and tried billing me a $10,000.00 bill for labor and a few parts. I still ended up having to fork out $5,000.00 to get my car out of there. This is why i hate satan and i will never go back to the dealer for anything again. My car was doing the exact same thing only running off of 2 cyclinders. I think its worth the try. Don't go through the hell like i did.

It just really sucks because I started the car for 3 secs and it ran then I shut it off and put the radiator in and now two cylinders have no spark putting in sensor now will keep updated

Same thing was wrong with my gs-t. I replaced the crank and cam sensors, also replaced the ICM and both coils, and still nothing on 1-4 coil. It ended up being a dead spot in one of the wires on the harness that plugs into the coil packs. It was the Blue with red stripe wire.

Get the ignition control module tested and go from there, also if you know anyone who has a know good ecu, swap your out with the known good one and see if the problem still occurs. Then replace the CAS

if your talking about a turbo eclipse mine amazingly was no compression in 2 and 3 so i wasn't getting spark but in the non turbo 1 and 4 are controlled by the crank sensor 2 and 3 are controlled by the cam sensor...

Ok posting on this because now I'm confused. I have no spark on cylinders 2 and 3 on my 1995 Eclipse GS, (420A).. and I've read here that 2 and 3 no spark means cam sensor... and other threads I've read 1 and 4 no spark is the cam sensor. Which is it?

I believe I'm getting no spark on 2 and 3 because they have fuel on the tips, 1 and 4 are look like they are firing fine, I have put in brand new plugs, wires, and tested with a fully working coil pack (off my 2nd 95 NT), fuel filter, fuel pump, and all vac lines are attached.

It turns over strong and tries to fire once by sputtering like it wants to fire and then it wont. I have to turn it off fully, then re-crank to get the same results. I dont have access to a scanner at the moment, but I didnt think it was a cam sensor at first because my other 95 N/T would start after about 10 turnovers, and i found out later that my cam sensor was just unplugged, the point is, it was unplugged and still started and ran fine (bad gas mileage though), this one has me stumped sorta, but all the search threads have pointed at a possible "cracked" cam sensor, and thats IF 2 and 3 really are the cam sensor cylinders. (would explain fuel on the plugs...I hope)

Also, when people refer to the cam sensor magnet being cracked, is it the mini piston lookin thing that sits right above the cam sensor or is this just a ground that has nothing to do with the cam sensor. (It sits directly above it, bottom left of the valve cover)

Ok posting on this because now I'm confused. I have no spark on cylinders 2 and 3 on my 1995 Eclipse GS, (420A).. and I've read here that 2 and 3 no spark means cam sensor... and other threads I've read 1 and 4 no spark is the cam sensor. Which is it?

When your reading stuff you have to remember that the 4G63 and 420A are quite different beasts and you should confine yourself to the 420A threads when looking for possible solutions.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back