The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Can't remove grenade pin from tensioner

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kdouglas89

Proven Member
Jul 8, 2013
Davenport, Iowa
I have done timing on my old 2g several times, and never had an issue. I replaced the timing belt on my recent 1g. I took the tensioner off, depressed it, inserted pin, and bolted onto block. I am turning tensioner pulley clockwise, but there is never a point when the tensioner wants to free up the pin. No matter how far clockwise I turn, it's still tight. Any help?

You will need to use the threaded rod timing tool to depress the tensioner arm, then remove the pin prior to setting the timing belt tensioner pulley.

I replaced the timing belt on my recent 1g.

Since your profile is for your 2G, please share the details of this 1G. The big question is 6 bolt or 7 bolt. IIRC, that equates to rotating the pulley clockwise or counter clockwise into the belt.

Guys, there is no reason/need to use the long bolt for the tensioner. The tool for rotating the tensioner pulley will let you preload the belt.

This is a 6 bolt block. I was using an Allen key for the grenade pin. I have never needed the tensioner bolt to depress it enough to pull pin out. Is 6 bolt block different? I would usually just use tension pulley, pull pin out, and tighten screw to lock in the tension. I was able compress tensioner with a c clamp and insert the pin, so id assume its still good.

Kevin

Last edited:
Are you turning the tensioner clockwise, or counterclockwise?
Clockwise. The tensioner gets real tight, then it sorta resets if you turn it too far. My 2g hits a
"sweet spot" where you can pull the grenade pin out and lock in the tension. It is not happening on this 1g :banghead:.

Would a bad tensioner cause too much pressure? As in, it's too tough to depress it with the tensioner pulley?

Check to see if there is wear on the tensioner arm where the pin rests. If there is a indent in it, it may not be able to depress the plunger far enough. It would have to be a lot of wear, but its possible I guess.

Or maybe the pin is just a tad too big and is stuck in the holes of the body of the tensioner? Or you could have maybe bent it and its just wedged in there. Try ripping it out and recompressing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or maybe the pin is just a tad too big and is stuck in the holes of the body of the tensioner? Or you could have maybe bent it and its just wedged in there. Try ripping it out and recompressing it.
I had to rip it out, but now I need to reset it due to me taking timing belt back off. I don't want to throw it back on if If i have to go through the same trouble getting it back out haha.

I ordered a new tensioner, so we'll see how it goes. I can't see any other reason except it's getting old, and the pulley isn't strong enough to compress it down enough to pull the pin out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use small allen wrenches so they don't get bent and caught.

Most of the pins I’ve used that aren’t actual tensioner pins get bent by the tensioner and don’t pull out smooth.

Giggidy :sneaky: a new tensioner is always a good idea anyway but I agree. I just use the one that comes with the OEM tensioner.

I have done timing on my old 2g several times, and never had an issue. I replaced the timing belt on my recent 1g. I took the tensioner off, depressed it, inserted pin, and bolted onto block. I am turning tensioner pulley clockwise, but there is never a point when the tensioner wants to free up the pin. No matter how far clockwise I turn, it's still tight. Any help?
I just did my timing belt on my 2g. ...You have to adjust the camshaft timing belt tensioner pulley. Loosen center bolt..
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
and then use a prybar wrapped with something to protect the metal ring around tensioner (I used my leather work glove) until there’s enough tension that will allow the grenade pin to easily slide in and out. Be careful not to over-tighten. ‍♂️
Here’s a link that might help..
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The op has a 1g and lacks the necessary and needed tools

If he doesn't have the threaded rod he damn sure doesn't have the pulley adjuster tool
I definitely do have the cam tool, and pulley adjuster tool. You sure as hell don't need that $25 threaded rod LOL. Pin should come out with proper tension on tensioner pulley... If you read the post, you would have realized I was doing everything correct. The tensioner was bad. Go be a dickbag elsewear.

I definitely do have the cam tool, and pulley adjuster tool. You sure as hell don't need that $25 threaded rod LOL. Pin should come out with proper tension on tensioner pulley... If you read the post, you would have realized I was doing everything correct. The tensioner was bad. Go be a dickbag elsewear.

Or you could just go back out to your garage and resume being a cheap ass. I'll continue to be a dickbag with a running car with spare time on my couch ROFL

If it's in the manual it's in the tool box

Last edited:
Or you could just go back out to your garage and resume being a cheap ass. I'll continue to be a dickbag with a running car with spare time on my couch ROFL

If it's in the manual it's in the tool box
Your username is very fitting :thumb:. Have a good one.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back