1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G Canister some hoses unhooked

Posted by Sjd6795, May 9, 2020

Please Support VR Speed Factory
Please Support Morrison Fabrication
  1. Sjd6795

Sjd6795 Proven Member

Joined May 14, 2014
    Wilsonville, Oregon
    So going over all the vacuum lines and replacing any bad ones on my car and I noticed this has some hoses missing from it. I don't know exactly where they all go to but it seems to be half assed removed. Can I get rid of it completely or what are some issues I may have?

Attached Files:

Street Build 491  11

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
    Sjd6795

Street Build 1K  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  2. Dreadsm

Dreadsm Probationary Member

Joined May 5, 2018
    Lacey, Washington
    It helps to have setup to pass emissions testing. It has a purpose, i just can't remember it right now.
    There is a tech guide you can download if you scroll on the home page here, and go to maintenance, and you'll find tech guides. Hopefully someone gets online soon that knows more than me, that can help more.

242  6

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    Sjd6795 likes this.
  3. John Miller

John Miller Proven Member

Joined Jan 27, 2020
    Juneau, Wisconsin
    I may be wrong, but you can "delete" the entire canister entirely I think. Just put a hose on the fuel tank vent line and run it out of the engine bay. The other hoses you can either leave or cap off. However your car will throw a check engine code, but if it doesn't bug you then it isnt an issue.

269  1

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    Sjd6795 likes this.
  4. Sjd6795

Sjd6795 Proven Member

Joined May 14, 2014
    Wilsonville, Oregon
    No check engine code currently I do get a random one that flashes for like 0.1 seconds occasionally never stores a code though or stays on long enough to read. At the moment the only hose hooked up to it is the fuel vent hose. Other then that all the other lines aren't even there and the one just leads out near the turbo intake pipe. I have a FP intake so the nipples aren't there to bother connecting it. I am assuming he left them there to vent the fuel tank fumes? I will probably just remove the whole canister I guess.

Street Build 491  11

awd · manual · 2G DSM
    Sjd6795

Street Build 1K  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  5. John Miller

John Miller Proven Member

Joined Jan 27, 2020
    Juneau, Wisconsin
    Yeah just remove it that is what I am doing right now with my 2g eclipse. If you have emission testing to pass then maybe don't but if not, then pull it out. I agree that it was left there to just vent the fumes, but if you just take the line and route it our of the engine bay that will be fine. I would, however, highly recommend you either put the end of the hose somewhere so water and crud can not get into it. An other easy way it to connect it to a filter.

269  1

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  6. SNAKE_15

SNAKE_15 Proven Member

Joined Aug 28, 2012
    Bakersfield, California
    Assuming you have a 97, this is where the lines route.
    2G_Turbo_Vacuum_Diagram.jpg

If you guys don't do smogs then you can delete the canister and do the egr delete

2K  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 1K  0

1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    manual · Galant VR-4
  7. Hickory-NC-2Ggsx

Hickory-NC-2Ggsx Proven Member

Joined Dec 27, 2018
    Lincolnton, North Carolina
    I know here in the county i live in only requires a safety inspection. Maybe see what your local requirements are. Because i just delete all the non sense just to slim down the chance of a future boost leaks.

Street Build 320  1

Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    manual · 4G63t Swapped

Street Build 626  1

awd · manual · 2G DSM
  8. Sjd6795

Sjd6795 Proven Member

Joined May 14, 2014
    Wilsonville, Oregon
    I don't have to worry about deq or smogs so going to rip it out. I just fixed several boost leaks no idea where they was coming from, my car is back up to full power. I literally removed all my intake, intercooler, and vacuum lines. I replaced what looked in bad shape, went out for a drive and the car took off until it shot a huge backfire and I found this has completely blown a hole in it LOL. The hose isn't in bad shape either, but replacing it with a much thicker silicon line to prevent it from happening again. 20200509_171854.jpg

Street Build 491  11

awd · manual · 2G DSM
    Sjd6795

Street Build 1K  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
    Hickory-NC-2Ggsx likes this.
  9. Dusty Landrum

Dusty Landrum Supporting VIP

Joined Jul 15, 2019
    San Francisco, California
    So yeah the vacuum stuff you mentioned earlier in the post are definitely part of the EVAP and EGR systems. You are not throwing a code because as long as the SENSORS are plugged in the ECU is cool. They can stay unhooked if you wanted. My guess is someone has already done an EGR block-off and like you said, half ass did the rest of the delete on the car. There are numerous write ups for the correct way to do it on here and vfaqs as well.

The second line you said blew apart looks kinda like a boost controller but I cant really tell since the picture is taken so close.

Street Build 550  3

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  10. Sjd6795

Sjd6795 Proven Member

Joined May 14, 2014
    Wilsonville, Oregon
    Yes the second line if my MBC it blew the j pipe side of the line out. Prior to this it blew the wastegate side LOL.

Street Build 491  11

awd · manual · 2G DSM
    Sjd6795

Street Build 1K  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM