The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

CA Smog Check Reference Guide, State Ref.. FMICS, etc ok

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedTurboEclipse

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 29, 2002
Bay Area, California
woot woot water and meth injection is legal also!!

Anybody know what is a category I or II intake manifold?

NICE! this is good stuff. No wonder I just got smog and they didn't say anything about my 2g maf convertion for 1g and my tubular header and fmic and fpr and let's see what else oh "no cat" j/k on no cat part. Anyways definitely good news.

NICE! this is good stuff. No wonder I just got smog and they didn't say anything about my 2g maf convertion for 1g and my tubular header and fmic and fpr and let's see what else oh "no cat" j/k on no cat part. Anyways definitely good news.

LOL...so...what shop was this? I remember trying to get smogged at a local chevron and I got laughed at when I popped my hood for less than that : P

Hmm so I can have just a crankcase filter attached to the nipple or does it still have to circulate back to the intake somehow?

What if you don't have stickers?

I have a jr. frank 19c from E.M. but no sticker for it. It's not OEM replacement status, so am I screwed?

Curious if they would catch a dump tube too.
What do you guys think?

I spoke to a smog ref in person and he told me that aftermarket intercoolers aren't illegal if your car comes, from the factory, turbocharged with an intercooler.

So, t25's and 14b's with bigger core's are fine; doesn't require a CARB sticker.

All of you are getting away with the manifolds, but are there any aftermarket manifolds that are CARB approved? If I'm understanding this correctly, then they shouldn't be allowed on your car if they aren't (I haven't actually looked into manifolds so I have no idea).

I'm still curious about the piping, I have all aftermarket IC piping but am running the stock sidemount. I wonder if this is okay with the refs, as well as the 1g bov. At this point my car should be fine to pass at any test only station...other than the 14b I think and the downpipe.

And to follow up on my blowby question, if I simply added an inline filter from my vc to the intake pipe, that should be fine right?

i believe the sbr/evo manifolds are fine they look stock, or any other one that can fit the stock heatshield.

as for piping, that too I'm not sure about.

if you have a 14b/16g turbo and stock sidemount, the best way to make it look stock is to use the 1g j-pipe and the stock flex hose. any aftermarket jpipe just makes it look too obvious its upgraded

Shoo, no wonder.
My nephew smog his gst spyder with and apexi intercooler and exhaust. The smog tech was just like, hop right in... When he told me i was like what, aren't you suppose to fail visual inspection. He said no and passed with flying colors

Just watch out for state ref and STRICT test only/or regular smog checks..

starting in 09 if you replaced the cat, even with a regular cat, IT HAS to be the one LABELED FOR YOUR CAR..

so after they check the EO # , part #, etc.. and it shows its not for your car--even though its same diameter and you actually pass emissions, THEY WILL FAIL YOU. So everything has to match showing its for your vehicle. this is a FACT.. don't ask me how i know :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back