The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

State Ref...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin_Bailey

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 29, 2004
Fremont, California
Hey everyone, I just got a fix it ticket for modified intake and exhaust in Fremont. :mad: My question is, can I pass at the state ref with the K&N filter charger with the carb. # for a Eclipse because I have an Eagle Talon. And will the Greddy BOV be a problem there too? And along with that, I only have a cat-back exhaust.. it'll pass smog, but will I have to take it off for the ref. or do I really need to put the oem stock one on? Any help would be appreciated because I don't have the stock parts...

Justin_Bailey said:
Hey everyone, I just got a fix it ticket for modified intake and exhaust in Fremont. :mad: My question is, can I pass at the state ref with the K&N filter charger with the carb. # for a Eclipse because I have an Eagle Talon. And will the Greddy BOV be a problem there too? And along with that, I only have a cat-back exhaust.. it'll pass smog, but will I have to take it off for the ref. or do I really need to put the oem stock one on? Any help would be appreciated because I don't have the stock parts...

Save yourself time and put everything back to OEM that dosen't have a CARB sticker on it. Friend of mine had to put his complete car back to stock trim with just the intake that had the CARB sticker. Good luck! BTW Even if your exhaust isn't loud you'll fail the ref if you have an aftermarket one on there.

R.

O.k... here's the thing. I need the stock exhaust and air box. Know anyone who has these things that would let me borrow them? How bout the BOV. Will this be o.k. with the ref? How bout I spray paint it black, think that would pass? Anywho, I may need a stock BOV too so if there's anyone out there with these things that could perhaps lend them to me till everything blows over, I'd be very grateful.. =)

The BOV will not be ok to stay on there. Why didnt you keep the OEM stuff for situations like this? Everything will have to be stock unless there is a CARB number on there. If the carb number is for eclipses, then it wont pass if its on a talon or galant. Thats just the way it is, you cannot argue that. Ive been there and done that. :thumb: :talon:

oh yeah, just get a stock looking exhaust put on there. Make sure there is a Cat and a muffler on there and you should be fine. Check out my pics, I passed with my exhaust.

Yea, I normally keep all my stock stuff, but I had bought this Talon the way it is. It came with the Greddy BOV and aftermarket exhaust and the previous owner didn't have the stock stuff anymore. So I guess I gotta find someone with those parts eh?

that or a local tuner that will let you borrow stuff until its all cleared up.

Heres a question...Someone has probably already thought of it but....Couldn't you borrow someone's car same model (unmodded) and swap vin tags and plates. Goto a dealership...tell'em you are interested in a car there and that you want to get a third party opinion for a check up (most of the time they'll be cool with it). Get yo check up and be on yo way.

Dont know if it would work....I'm glad I dont have to worry about it though. REGISTERED IN IL BEEEEYAAAATCH!!

I was justing talking to a dude who just got pulled over today, and told me he got off on the fix-ticket for his exhust because its a factory replacement. As long as its CARB legal, and doesn't fail the Db reader, and bolts into the factory hangers, then its legal. And he's got a lil 91 civic hatch, with that honda high pitched noise. And he still got off.

BigRand said:
I was justing talking to a dude who just got pulled over today, and told me he got off on the fix-ticket for his exhust because its a factory replacement. As long as its CARB legal, and doesn't fail the Db reader, and bolts into the factory hangers, then its legal. And he's got a lil 91 civic hatch, with that honda high pitched noise. And he still got off.

The big difference here is this is in Washington, where any exhaust under 95Db (or is it 93Db?) is legal. The thread is about eco-nazi California, where the inspectors actually know what aftermarket parts look like and are super strict about you either having CARB stickers or stock parts.

cops are pricks LOL, i got pulled over in salinas, ca on friday night feb, 19, i got a ticket for emissions and exaust, i gots to go to state ref to get it checked out. im going to put the 1s gen bov and stock exaust back on. suxx cuz stupid cop busted everyone that was in the parkin lot cuz of our gathering. Salinas cops are gettting trained to pop people w/ aftermarket stuff and they have the knowledge now LOL, but they where mainly giving me crap about my BOV, i swear they where just asking me hella ? about my stupid greddy BOV. not my exaust my BOV i was a lil pissed cuz they could of gave me a fix a ticket but they decided to put a stupid REF sticker on the ticket LOL, but yea just sharing my situation

State Ref - no question, revert to stock EVERYTHING.

Im always assigned to TEST ONLY centers, and I had always passed with everything stock except the K&N Intake and the Greddy Type-S BOV.

c5chris said:
State Ref - no question, revert to stock EVERYTHING.

Im always assigned to TEST ONLY centers, and I had always passed with everything stock except the K&N Intake and the Greddy Type-S BOV.

i be ok with k&n FIPK w/ carb sticker ?

Justin_Bailey said:
Ya I remember that moment, My reasoning was that I passed smog with that muffler and the cop want me to sign the ticket, too bad i didn't so I went to court and the cop didn't show up so the case was dismissed and they didn't bother me anymore for my "modified exhaust" what they call it. Oh he ask me what's under the hood? just to let you know you don't have to answer that, like what I did. They just don't have anything to do but to bust your balls. Anyway good luck man.

flipboy i smoged this year with safc setting stock,16g,tialwastegate, the only things i put back on was stock exhaust and stock fuel pumpand stock air filter. i passed in hayward test only center.

i got my sh!t reffed for my gs at the school in san pablo the guy there seemed cool and he says as long as w\e you have has a smog sticker\c.a.r.b sticker your cool. i had exsuast and intake on my GS before i got it reffed and i had to put all the stock parts back on (b!tch to do) so now im rolling with a retarded stock muffler off some 95 sebring or something but i passed at 81DB (sound test) and the guy even smogged it for me for only $35 got a certif and everyting but he said the cost of smog there went up in september to 80 :notgood:

PokinatchaPunk said:
Heres a question...Someone has probably already thought of it but....Couldn't you borrow someone's car same model (unmodded) and swap vin tags and plates. Goto a dealership...tell'em you are interested in a car there and that you want to get a third party opinion for a check up (most of the time they'll be cool with it). Get yo check up and be on yo way.

Dont know if it would work....I'm glad I dont have to worry about it though. REGISTERED IN IL BEEEEYAAAATCH!!

No, that won't work, because it's a lot of effort to get to the VIN tag in the first place (unless you like pulling windshields). Then there's the problem of the VIN being right there on the firewall on that big DSM sticker, along with the VIN being inside the driver's door jamb. I'm sure they check things like that, and I'm sure that if you're caught you're triply ####ed than if you had just reverted your car back to stock to get through the ref station.

What about being registered in a county that doesn't require smog? I live in a county right now while going to school that requires it and I'm very skeptical of getting pulled over and being given a fix-it ticket, but on the same thought my parents live in a county that doesn't require smog so I just have my car registered there. Can I still be pinched?

poweradeTSI said:
flipboy i smoged this year with safc setting stock,16g,tialwastegate, the only things i put back on was stock exhaust and stock fuel pumpand stock air filter. i passed in hayward test only center.
Was this as a state ref or a regular down the street test only center ?? Anyone else had experiences going to the State Ref with a FMIC and a 16g ?????

stupid hassle!

I had to go to the state ref last Oct. I put everything except for the fuel pump back to stock. I passed the actual smog test easily, the visual I passed easily too but they questioned the stock upper ic pipe (the mesh looking one), they thought it wasn't stock but I assured them it was. They look at the EGR too so make sure it's not blocked off-also make sure all your vacuum lines are hooked up as well.

The dB limit is 95 +/- 1.5dB...I got 87dB so there's not much room to play around with, though I THINK my car would pass the dB test if I had just the catback I have now (it has two resonators on it). They said, and I quote them, "the catback has nothing to do with emissions, only decibels," so it can be custom or aftermarket...it just has to test below the dB limit. That's common sense, though I just wanted to hear it for myself. But if you have any doubt, just slap that stocker back on.

Also, they send you a notice in the mail from your cities courthouse. It says, either you fix the problems on your car and pay the "lower fine," or you just go to court on the date printed and pay the fee to just clear it without touching your car (of course it's much more expensive). The thing about the 2nd choice, is that they will mark your car for future reference, and as soon as you get pulled over, they'll write you up for those same reasons because you never got it fixed. Here is what I did though, immediately after I got the ticket, I went home and started wrenching away. I setup an appointment for the following week at the ref center-passed it and got my cert (paid like 50 for the test), went to the court showed them the cert and paid the paperwork fee and that was it.

I didn't have to go to court or anything, altogether it cost me about 90 bucks as opposed to the 300 or 2xx that they said I would have to pay on the notice.

2GeNTSi said:
I had to go to the state ref last Oct. I put everything except for the fuel pump back to stock. I passed the actual smog test easily, the visual I passed easily too but they questioned the stock upper ic pipe (the mesh looking one), they thought it wasn't stock but I assured them it was. They look at the EGR too so make sure it's not blocked off-also make sure all your vacuum lines are hooked up as well.

The dB limit is 95 +/- 1.5dB...I got 87dB so there's not much room to play around with, though I THINK my car would pass the dB test if I had just the catback I have now (it has two resonators on it). They said, and I quote them, "the catback has nothing to do with emissions, only decibels," so it can be custom or aftermarket...it just has to test below the dB limit. That's common sense, though I just wanted to hear it for myself. But if you have any doubt, just slap that stocker back on.

Also, they send you a notice in the mail from your cities courthouse. It says, either you fix the problems on your car and pay the "lower fine," or you just go to court on the date printed and pay the fee to just clear it without touching your car (of course it's much more expensive). The thing about the 2nd choice, is that they will mark your car for future reference, and as soon as you get pulled over, they'll write you up for those same reasons because you never got it fixed. Here is what I did though, immediately after I got the ticket, I went home and started wrenching away. I setup an appointment for the following week at the ref center-passed it and got my cert (paid like 50 for the test), went to the court showed them the cert and paid the paperwork fee and that was it.

I didn't have to go to court or anything, altogether it cost me about 90 bucks as opposed to the 300 or 2xx that they said I would have to pay on the notice.

wow sounds like a hassle.. even more for those who have tons of mods.. wat made you have to go to the state ref?

Bs exhaust crap...I seriously couldn't believe he said that because any Civic that I point out with JUST a muffler would seriously be louder and sound like crap. He then got me for my front plate which I explained to the officer I bought it used and I didn't have a front plate to put on. I went to the DMV and they told me that it's mandatory, though I had no idea.

Resulting from all the was a relocation of my turbo timer (used to be on my steering column), now it's under my radio tucked back a bit, removed my Pocketlogger license frame (LOL), magnaflow dual-tip muffler, ALL my piping painted flat black as well as my 1g bov, hid my breather filter coming off of the vc, and bought a fipk. It was all little things but this way it looks legal and doesn't give an officer a reason to pull me over.

2GeNTSi said:
The thing about the 2nd choice, is that they will mark your car for future reference, and as soon as you get pulled over, they'll write you up for those same reasons because you never got it fixed.
I've yet to run across any kind of parts notice on a DMV printout. That's in 14+ years of doing this every day. If there's any kind of record keeping, it must be with the CARB.

Defiant said:
I've yet to run across any kind of parts notice on a DMV printout. That's in 14+ years of doing this every day. If there's any kind of record keeping, it must be with the CARB.

Well, I didn't mean that they would keep an official record of it. But knowing how they are so strict around here, I wouldn't be surprised if each precinct kept some sort of record of known modified cars in their area.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back