The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Built a phone mount for video taping speedometer.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v8s_are_slow

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 30, 2002
Panama City, Florida
So I wanted to video tape my speedo without having to hold my phone. So decided to make this. Probably wouldn't feel too good if I wreck, so I'll have to try not to do that I suppose. Lol. Anyway, phone just fits in the slot nice and firm and doesn't go anywhere.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Took a video but only problem I see is that when under boost, the whole thing moves up. Not really tuned in this vid though and still fwd so I'm spinning of course. Just trying to give an idea of how well it functions is all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXPv2tzIgCY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I would definitely tweak that design a lot. In a front end collision the airbag is going to push that metal tube right through your head. Also if you got t-boned on the drivers side your head would smack that thing pretty good also. They make mounts for cameras that attach to a harness bar or something of that sort and are behind you and out of the way in case you crash.

Nothing i'd recommend to anyone. And don't plan to ever really use it. I for sure know the cons of this thing.

Man, that's a death trap waiting to happen. Neat that you accomplished your goals but I think you might want to consider safety in a redesign. Anyway, kudos for fabricating the first iteration of your solution :)

I would highly suggest you re do your design. That is a HUGE! safety risk that will kill you or have a high chance of killing or causing serious bodily injury.

Lol, I KNOW it's a huge risk. I'm not recommending this to anyone AT ALL. Lemme put up a disclaimer. I'm an idiot. And if you do it like I did, you're an idiot too. Lol.

I will very rarely ever use this thing. I want a gopro or whatever it's called. But it's hard spending my mod money on other things. Just wanted to make something for the camera that'll also film outside the window as well. Only thing I could think up to do.....for now.

How about trying to make a mount that goes on the steering console? You know right on that little plastic piece that goes on top; that might be a little safer. I'm thinking about making a custom gauge pod there for my wideband.

That looks like one of those camera mounts they put on people to filmtheir faces on things like some of the older reality shows and stufff LOL I agree though, in a wreck that could be something that snapped yuour neck kinda easily :( Good work though, and the fabircatiopn is what it's about, not safety tech inspection here LOL

now you can refine it, get it out of your neck's way and mount the camera up by the dash/column since you've already got the jist of the phone mount taken care of

Just trying to think of a better place to put it. The wideband is staying. And only wanna use my phone for now. Was gonna have a bar to the side of my seat but the steering wheel gets in the way so it's hard to see the speedo. Only reason I moved it closer.

I may relocate it beside the headrest. But don't think I'll be able to see the speedometer.

Wouldn't something fabbed up to fit around the steering column be safer and work better?

Well, if I had the funds to buy one, I already would've. But I'm always willing to accept donations :)

Dude, 3m tape your phone to the side of your dash. Holy fail.

I imagine you got bored at started dinkin around. We all do that. We just don't admit to it..

Props fosho

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back