The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

BPR7ES spark plugs

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewG

Proven Member
Jul 30, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
I changed out my plugs today. The previous plugs were BPR7ES plugs I replaced them with BPR6ES plugs. Any idea why it might have had those plugs in previously?

FYI I have only had the car 4 days now.

Here is pick of the plugs that come out of it.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Attachments

• log.2017.08.01-01.elg
    183 KB · Views: 45
BRP7's are one step colder of a plug compared to the BRP6's.

What do you know about the car? How much boost is it running. They are needed when you start running more boost.

https://www.ngksparkplugs.com/about-ngk/tech-talk/spark-plug-basics

It's running 20lbs of boost out of an FP 68hta turbo. I am trying to get it to pass emissions so maybe running the 6's will help. It failed once now because of HC and CO is too high. I am hoping to get it to pass with out having to dive into the ECU. I am still learning DSMlink so that is not something I want to get into without more knowledge first.

I've never heard of spark plugs effecting emissions, but I could be wrong. Do a few searches on best sparkplug to run and you'll find more than enough info about why the 7s are in the car.

I've never heard of spark plugs effecting emissions, but I could be wrong. Do a few searches on best sparkplug to run and you'll find more than enough info about why the 7s are in the car.
3rd gen and newer hemi motors all have 2 plugs a cylinder because they couldn't meet emissions requirements with just one.
As for OP colder plugs with help with knock to a point but they foul quicker. With that said I'd be running 7s in your case.

Here in Arizona if it's a 96 and up they do the obd check. If it's 95 or below and awd they let it idle and slowly increase the rpms. OP, check to make sure u have a working cat. U can pass emissions by adjusting your fuel trims. I know u said its not something u want to do but u will need to learn how to tune with link eventually.

Agreed. I would put the 7's back in. Is emissions done at idle? Or so they rev it a bit?

Emissions is done on rollers I'm guessing to simulate driving conditions. I took it after changing the plugs out and it did better then the first time but still didn't pass. Gonna try and put e85 in it. The issue I am running into is CO emissions being too high after shifting.

Do you have a Air/Fuel gauge? What does it show when you are shifting?
I believe I have a wideband O2 sensor. I have an air fuel gauge that also displays air fuel ratio. I would think those values would show in DSM link but not sure how to read the info from that yet. Still trying to remember all this stuff from 10 years ago, 3 days in and the learning curve is steep with this car. :idontknow::hmm:

Those plugs look great to me......

Might even want to look at your ignition timing, if its off from stock and the potential to retard it a little. After all, you are not looking for max power here. There is a documented correlation between ignition timing and HC output..
that is, if you are looking to get crafty

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back