The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Borg Warner S200 (Bullseye S256) Review

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The S200s are not that hard to get ahold of you just have to know where to order them at. Martin at VIP garage usually has them.

I think I may have bought the last one from them though. :D

Hey Scott it's Rich, How that S258 coming along?

Any tuning done on it?

I've been trying to call Ron for the last week and I finally gave up on him (I think he's on his period) he hasn't been the same ol' Ron for a while now.

Anyways, I'd like to here some info over the new setup as I have sold my 50 trim and currently looking at SCM6152(DBB)/S256/S258's. I will be running a stock bottom end (for now) with the mods in profile being mostly up to date :sneaky:

We carry them at our shop too. GVAutosport.com. Give us a hollar at 215-675-8204.

Hey Scott it's Rich, How that S258 coming along?

Any tuning done on it?

I've been trying to call Ron for the last week and I finally gave up on him (I think he's on his period) he hasn't been the same ol' Ron for a while now.

Anyways, I'd like to here some info over the new setup as I have sold my 50 trim and currently looking at SCM6152(DBB)/S256/S258's. I will be running a stock bottom end (for now) with the mods in profile being mostly up to date :sneaky:

What's up dude. S258s are amazing. they're a great turbo in every shape and form. Still tuning on pump, seeing what I can get outta her - so far 26 PSI no knock.

Getting some things to do the switch over to E85... some 280s magically apeared into my possession and will be installed shortly. Still need that second fuel pump for the E85.

Off Topic:
Anyway, Ron is a really busy guy. He doesn't answer my calls all the time either - especially when he's @ work. but we're working the same shift as of right now. If you have questions or something PM me or check out the website below here for my contact info.

On Topic
As far a BW turbo - these things are mint. I highly suggest them, their response, compressor maps, and their drivability is incredible. Best decision I made - 'cept I shoulda started with a T3 setup - but damn does FP make a nice cast manifold.

For those reading this thread - I switched from a Vtrim to an S258. this turbo loves boost and will get pushed into the high 30s before I O-Ring my engine. 2.4L+S285 = awesome. :dsm:

It's pretty fun - minus all the problems - leaks and breaking things. Sooner or later I'll get her all tuned up and ready to rock - I'd like to see 10's - maybe that's wishful thinking.

Still waiting on cam install - I have to pull the power steering rack again to attempt to seal it again. I'll get some work done this weekend.. then back to tuning.

I'll post an update.

Ok, heres some updates on my NET S256....

I finally took it to the track and kept its completely detuned so the car would not break...LOL. The car had no boost controller on it (20 psi), Pep Boys special all-seasoners, very very consevative pump gas tune (a/f's of 11.0:1 and no timing), and anything else you can think of to keep the car from breaking.

On the boost and a/f's mentioned above, tires spinning through 1st and 2nd gear, with a horrible 1-2 due to beat syncros....the car went 12.4@114. I knwo if the 1-2 was better and the timing was upped with a half decent launch, the car would of went high 11's. Im happy with where its at now though. The weather in PA has been horrible with 100 degree temps.

Now time to get the DR's on there and up the boost, after fixing the trans of course.

P.S...dont mind the timeslip on teh left, that was my old setup and car.

So Scott, have you got that thing up and running again yet?

I'm anxiously waiting to hear how the bolt-on spools with the 2.4L. I'm trying to finish a 4G64 swap by the end of this year and I've had my eye on the S256/258 since they first came out.

So a buddy of mine has this mustang twin turbo project going on and he has a pair of S200 turbos he's trying to sell me that he claims are ETT. He's obviously using a large turbine housing though on them. It's a divided T4 1.15 A/R. He offered to sell them to me for cheap... I'm wondering though if I can even use them. I haven't seen them in person as he lives a few hours from me, and the compressor covers aren't the anti-surge style, but I believe the compressor wheels are the same as the 258.

Can someone confirm for me if I have to use the smaller 69.5/61.5 turbine wheel in the bolt-on housing? Or can I use the bigger 74/64 turbine wheel? I cannot go T3, I don't have the money to switch away from the parts I've already bought. EDIT: Nevermind, I checked the Bullseye site. Apparently I can use either turbine wheel.

Here's some pics he emailed me:

Attachments

• S200s.JPG
    S200s.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 542
  • turbine.JPG
    turbine.JPG
    9.5 KB · Views: 521
  • S200 serial numbers.JPG
    S200 serial numbers.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 543
Ahhh, I seen those floating around ebay. Hope hes giving ou a deal on it b/c they werent that expensive for the set.

If you pull the compressor cover off you'll be able to see the ETT - measure the diameter of the compressor wheel and you should be able to tell what size they are 56 or 58mm.

My car is up and running. Still leaks like I put holes in the powersteering rack, but it runs and drives. Still have some tuning hiccups to fix with these 1600ccs. No knock @24ish psi, 11.5:1 a/fs I'm going to try to push the boost up a little more tomorrow to about 26-28ish lbs.

Then, I need a boost gauge that reads higher than 30 - because I'm gonna be on that corn juice and runnin 35+ psi. :D

got the car back from the shop today!!! now i understand what turbo lag is! haha Im going to be getting great gas mileage from here on out. THis turbo does almost nothing until 4k and then BAM! im at 7 grand and i need to shift haha. Im still running my pumpgas tune from my 16g and i had to pull a lot of timing from that little torque monster, so i think i can get spoolup down a lot with some tuning. THis turbo feels like it wants me to crank the hell out of my boost controller. Top end feels crazy.

I did one studderbox launch through 2nd gear pull and it felt very nice! Almost like a better 60ft than my 16g so ill see what it can do when i get it tuned and at the track.

Im going to try to see what i can get out of the setup as it sits now with my 660s probably this weekend sometime. I'll post up logs when i do. Man i cant wait to crank up the boost, this thing seems like it loves pump gas and top end!!

Sorry no pics today, i'll snap a bunch tomorrow and post em up for everyone.

S258 t3 .70 btw people

Damn danny it sounds bad ass! 4k? I'm sure you can bring it down some.

yeah, its nice having a built 2.0 with a light flywheel because driving around out of boost is still snappy enough, its just not as easy to get 15psi at 3200rpm at half throttle like the good old 16g! haha

Im sure the power this setup will make will make me forget all about the 16g and its down low response. Im already liking it, it just really needs some more boost and a decent tune!

This turbo with my new exhaust sounds wierd... the car sounds almost like a wrx.... i guess its the turbine wheel and the finally new 3" mandrel bent exhaust. Then when boost hits it sounds like a 35r'd evo.

When do you start seeing boost? How much boost are you on now?
I can't wait for mine! Ima get a student loan for it hahaha

there is positive boost at 3k, but like 1-2 psi, then it slowly goes up to 5-6psi by like 4k then bam it spools to 15 really fast Im just running off wastegate pressure, so when i turn the boost up im sure it'll spool faster and ill tune to spool up faster.

I need to turn my rev limiter up to 8k because it hits 7 WAY too fast!

With stock pistons and cams i see 30psi by 4100rpm on my S258.

^ that is awesome. What kind of cams do you got? I am starting to look around for some cams for the turbo.

With stock pistons and cams i see 30psi by 4100rpm on my S258.

bolt on or t3 .70?

Thats nice to hear! it gives me something to tune for!

Like i said, this is just driving home from the shop, didnt touch the 16g tune where i had to run really rich and low timing to get it to like higher boost. So when i start tuning im sure i can get better spool.

However, for running on wastegate spring and a tune thats not for this setup the car is still pretty quick, so im looking forward to getting tuned.

I got hammered last night and am hung over as hell :barf:, so the tuning might not happen today! haha

What size springs are you guys running in your 38mm wastegates? I am looking on ordering mine real soon. And I'm looking at the spring charts with a confuse look.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back