The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Billet 7075 vented oil caps

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hal

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 11, 2006
aurora, Colorado
Finally made up some more.

Turned out pretty good for being done on a home made CNC mill.

Figured out a way to reduce the profile so the next group will be a little shorter.

Hal

Attachments

• caps-2.jpg
    caps-2.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 1,901
  • cap-3.jpg
    cap-3.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 4,897
Are these better then Welding fittings right to the valve cover??

These look fantastic! How tall are the currently and what is the expected height on newer parts?
I'm also curious about your homemade CNC! I used to work on a pro-lite, small but very capable... but also 25k.

These look fantastic! How tall are the currently and what is the expected height on newer parts?

The current height is 1.3 inches above the valve cover measured at the top of flange where the oil cap sits. The new caps are 1 inch.

The 1.3 height has been proven to clear the hood on the 1g, 2g and 4g63 powered EVO's.

Hal

Wow, this is a pretty cool idea. A very practical alternative to welding AN fittings to the VC, but how do they compare?

the only problem i see with that is that there isn't a baffle under the oil cap so you might be pushing a little more oil than with the other set up. i might be wrong but has it been tested. it does look pretty cool though

the only problem i see with that is that there isn't a baffle under the oil cap so you might be pushing a little more oil than with the other set up. i might be wrong but has it been tested. it does look pretty cool though

Look again, there is a baffle as well as a splash shield as part of the cap assembly.

Tested? These things have been in use since mid 2009.

Hal

So is there an advantage to using this over welding in fittings to the valve cover? Besides the sheer fact you don't had to weld anything.

Ok

It's a bench top mill from harbor freight.

All of the lead screws were replaced with ball screws and the cranks replaced with stepper motors (2000 steps per rpm) reduced for a final drive of 6:1

Resolution works out to be roughly 2000 steps per mm

It uses Mach3 mill running on the pc and drives the steppers thru a geko 4 axis interface

The pc controls the table (x/y axis), the tool (z axis and rpm) along with an optional rotory table (a axis)

The conversion was all done by me (motor mounts, ball screw adaptation, etc)

In addition I also converted my bench top lathe to CNC which was a piece of cake compared to the mill.

These days you can buy turn key kits for this conversion.

Ok

It's a bench top mill from harbor freight.

All of the lead screws were replaced with ball screws and the cranks replaced with stepper motors (2000 steps per rpm) reduced for a final drive of 6:1

Resolution works out to be roughly 2000 steps per mm

It uses Mach3 mill running on the pc and drives the steppers thru a geko 4 axis interface

The pc controls the table (x/y axis), the tool (z axis and rpm) along with an optional rotory table (a axis)

The conversion was all done by me (motor mounts, ball screw adaptation, etc)

In addition I also converted my bench top lathe to CNC which was a piece of cake compared to the mill.

These days you can buy turn key kits for this conversion.

Very cool.

How is the build quality of the HF mill? How do you think it would compare to this one?

HiTorque Mini Mill, Tilting Column - LittleMachineShop.com

That's got 25% more Y axis travel than mine.

But the largest part you can make is axis travel (5") - tool dia.

Keep that in mind.

If I had to do it over again I would have just bought a knee mill.

Hal

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't wait to get home to my single outlet cap.

I'm not the greatest welder and with a check valve this will take the place of my stock PCV valve.

Another reason I went with this is a friend with a built 2.0, 5858 car was popping the dipstick and pushing oil pretty good he tapped his VC with a 3/8" tap in a risky manner, but basically it worked great so I figured a single -10an (5/8") would work good for me for a long time.

Thanks again
Hal

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back