The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Bargain Basment 1g 3kGT VR4 Brake Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardware

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 11, 2002
Wichita Falls, Texas
Just finished reading the thread about these, but I still have a few questions:

Where do you get the hubcentric rings?
How thick is the spacer between the hub and the rotor?
Are longer studs needed to mount the wheels?
What models did the 4-pot calipers come off of?

I checked Autozone's site and only found 2 pot calipers there. I seriously want to do this upgrade, but I just need a few more questions answered. Thanks for the space!

Where do you get the hubcentric rings?

This was answered in the thread. wortdog used the plastic rings some aftermarket wheels need (get them from a wheel place), otherwise metal rings are availible from Baer.

How thick is the spacer between the hub and the rotor?

Depends on the design of the wheels and what rotors you use. There isn't a one size fits all answer.

Are longer studs needed to mount the wheels?

If you use spacers that are big enough, yes.

What models did the 4-pot calipers come off of?

TT Stealth and 3KGT VR4, non turbos are the same as the 2G 2-pot calipers

You'll have to excuse me, I was making a few assumptions when I posted. First was that he's running the stock backspacing and offset, like I am. Second, he got the calipers and the hubcentric rings off E-bay, and I wasn't having the best of luck finding anything smaller than 73.1mm OD rings on there. As for the calipers, the only auction for 3kGT calipers on Ebay cost $350...screw that. I checked Autozone to see if they had the 4-piston calipers for the 2g VR4s, and didn't find anything.

It takes some patience to find the calipers, you might try hitting some of the 3000GT VR4/Stealth TT sites and browsing through the for sale section for cars being parted out. I got mine from a friend for almost nothing.

The offset is much less important that the spoke design of the wheel, which is why you pretty much have to mock things up first to find out if you'll need a spacer and how big it will be. A smaller offset may help fitment, but it depends on if the extra offset comes from the center of the wheel or the outside of the wheel. My wheels started with slightly less numerical offset than stock(Causing them to stick out a bit more), but still required a large spacer due to the spoke design.

My particular calipers are from a 1G Stealth TT, and these should be easier to find as the earlier cars tend to upgrade their brakes more often. My article is meant as more of a guideline as to how to fit the calipers and rotors of your choice to a 1G rather than something that can only be exactly duplicated.

I'm not doing too bad with the duplication so far. I ordered OE style Cobra rotors and hubcentric rings off E-bay, and I found a set of what are supposedly JDM GTO calipers...they look the same, just have "Mitsubishi" stamped in the sides of them. I have to find a shop back home that can fab up the bracket though. I hope my Rotas arent too bad off for caliper spacing.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back