The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Resolved 2 gen 3kgt vr4 big brakes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buhay6

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 9, 2010
Delisle, SK_Canada
Needing a few answers here, I managed to snag some really nice 2 gen VR-4 brakes and drilled rotors at the scraper the other day. I know the 1st gen 3kGT VR-4 brakes fit and theres kits for them but I'm wondering what my options are for these 2nd Gen brakes?
I only have the single piston front brakes on my 1g right now and but have some rebuilt 2 piston callipers sitting around that were waiting to go on. But with getting these 4 piston callipers I'd prefer to run them if possible.
Anyone know of any mounting plates that work with the 2 gen VR4 brakes? I can only find them for the 1 gen front brakes

Last edited:
Ya I've checked that thread out already, I just don't know if there's mounting bracts available for the 2 gen ones, I have the rims to clear the big brake setup so that's a non issue.
I'm looking for the 4 piston VR4 stuff, I'm looking to sell my 2 piston 2g front brakes and rotors so I can run the 4 piston vr4's
Just been doing a little digging on the VR4 forums and I'm finding conflicting information.....some say the 2 gen and 1 gen callipers are a direct swap the 2 gen's just have a wider rotor. Other info is saying the 2 gen have a inch larger circumference then the 1 gen vr4 brakes.
Can any 3kGT VR4 guys confirm which is true?
Also found that a pair of 2 gen front callipers sell for $500+.......and I paid $40 Canadian for them!!!

Last edited:
By the way, RTM is making a bracket which allows one to use 2nd gen VR4 calipers. The bracket "blanks" are already made, we just need to drill and tap the holes in the proper locations. The project will probably be done in a month or two.

Thank you Paul! I was thinking of just selling the whole vr4 setup front and back with brand new rotors as i had picked it up for under $100 and i could make easily 500 off of it. But with you folks making brackets for the 2 gen callipers i think i'll just hold on to these puppies now!

if you can get 500 for it, sell them!!! such overkill on the brakes!!

Glad to hear RTM is doing something with the 2g calipers. When I did mine I used the tuners nation bracket, custom spacers, and lightly machined Volvo rotors to get my 2g vr4 calipers to fit.

if you can get 500 for it, sell them!!! such overkill on the brakes!!
I seen on the 3kGT forums that just the front callipers alone go for $500-$600. I just went back to the VR4 today and pulled the rear callipers and rotors as well to make a complete big brake package for the 90-93 VR4's...... I have thought about selling them Brandon, but I'm going to hold off yet do a little more research and see what a whole kit can go for. I may just run the front callipers for a season and see if its worth keeping the stopping power or if I should down grade and make a few hundred on the whole package. If I do keep them I'll be re-installing my ABS system (doing it a tucked way) to optimise the brake setup.
What blows my mind is all the Rotor's and brake pads are brand new..... like maybe a 100 km on them.

Glad to hear RTM is doing something with the 2g calipers. When I did mine I used the tuners nation bracket, custom spacers, and lightly machined Volvo rotors to get my 2g vr4 calipers to fit.
eeek and I'm really trying to avoid that, I want a bolt-on style system. So RTM taking on the brackets is just perfect, I'm sure some DSM guys could really use that extra braking power over the 1st gen VR4 setup's.
Your's clears 17's right? I've heard they're supposed to, and I just landed a nice set of wheels finally, hate to have to sell them before I even get to run them haha

Dont know where your getting this $500 number from, but they go for only $100 a piece on rockAuto. Its $5-600 for a complete set with rotor and pads.

For 2nd gen VR4s, the rear calipers are what will set you back. It took me months to locate a set for a restoration. You will be VERY pressed to find a rear set of rebuilt calipers. The fronts tend to have a high core charge as they are considered a " valuable core". You also have the issue of getting a matching set as the Stealth and 3000GT calipers were different. The Stealth had blank calipers, while the the 3000GT have "Mitsubishi" cast into them. A used set of front 2nd gen 3/S should hover around $200-250.

Rock auto has reman'd 2g 3kgt rears right now for $107 each. I see them pop up all the time.

Rock auto has reman'd 2g 3kgt rears right now for $107 each. I see them pop up all the time.

Go ahead and add to to your cart. Then you can brag. I will assume you have personal experience with this particular item?

Last edited:
Like I said I've got to do more digging, I've only seen that $500-$600 for the front callipers (of course rebuilt) on 3kgt forum threads, I'm not naive I wouldn't ever try to sell used parts as new and I know they will sell for less than new. But the ones I have are the 2 gen VR4 4 piston front callipers both have "Mitsubishi" cast into them and I have both rear dual piston callipers which also both have "mitsubishi" cast into them. All the rotor's are drilled rotors and brand new zero wear on the brake pad surface of the rotor there's no wear lip at the edge or any wearing visible at all and the brake pads brand new. The rear rotors still have nice black paint on them.
But if I were to be selling them it would be a full brake kit minus the brake lines.
Thanks for chiming in there Nate!
So I should be able to get right around the $250 for them with the drilled rotors and pads then.... well that's a start.
How much do the rears go for?

Last edited:
Dont know where your getting this $500 number from, but they go for only $100 a piece on rockAuto. Its $5-600 for a complete set with rotor and pads.
Dude our callipers reman'd sell for more then $100......
If I were to buy the 1st gen VR4 front callipers (smaller callipers!) with generic rotors and pads right now at RTMracing I'd be looking at right round $500 or more shipped which is right around $300ish U.S. give or take.

Last edited:
If you would like an opinion, I would personally sell your current collection to a 3/S enthusiast and go to an EVO Brembo setup. While it is more common (Brembo), there is much more aftermarket support for pad, rebuild, and rotor choices.

When comparing the 1st gen 3/S caliper to the 2nd gen., it is like the Outlander brake upgrade for the DSM community.

Here is a all you ever wanted to know about the 3/S brake system:
http://www.stealth316.com/2-brakeupgrade.htm

Last edited:
I'll keep that in mind Nate thank's.
I'll have to price out Evo Brembo's and see what's the cheapest at this point in time. I'll be selling the rear 3kgt callipers for sure but when is another story I'm never home to ship anything any more so I'd need an avenue to go through to get it done.

eeek and I'm really trying to avoid that, I want a bolt-on style system. So RTM taking on the brackets is just perfect, I'm sure some DSM guys could really use that extra braking power over the 1st gen VR4 setup's.
Your's clears 17's right? I've heard they're supposed to, and I just landed a nice set of wheels finally, hate to have to sell them before I even get to run them haha
It's not bad machining. I had to cut on a lathe round stock to .310 thick, center drilled a hole for the caliper bolt to make the spacers. Minor clearance grinding had to be done on the calipers and rear dsm backing plate. My front rotors came from an 08 lexus. I had to have the hub center on the rotor machined a little. Keep in mind I was using the tuners nation bracket that was designed for 1g 3kgt vr4 front calipers and a 2g 3kgt vr4 rotor. The rotor I chose spaced the caliper inboard away from the wheel to give me extra clearance. What I figured out on what wheels fit is if it fits an evo it will fit my car. 17" evo wheels

All in all I think I had $800 in my set up. I did get a great deal on my calipers though. If I was doing it over for ease of fitment I would have gone 1g fronts, 2g rears, and 2g rotors all the way around. Or wait to see what RTM comes up with. :)

Go ahead and add to to your cart. Then you can brag. I will assume you have personal experience with this particular item?

Yup, got a complete set with from them with pads and rotor for about $5-600 total. Its hilarious, because last night when I was checking the prices there was a complete set front and rear (2g) for around $100 each core charge included, I check now and its gone. Someone must of picked them up last night or early this morning after reading this thread. They pop up from time to time. You just have to keep checking.

If you want budget big brakes, the 3kgts are fine but for real braking performance you need to go with brembos. The sumitomo calipers have flexing issues and much smaller pistons compared to the brembos, which is why the 3/S guys switch to evo brakes.

Oh, Canada. Didnt see that.

Yup, got a complete set with from them with pads and rotor for about $5-600 total. Its hilarious, because last night when I was checking the prices there was a complete set front and rear (2g) for around $100 each core charge included, I check now and its gone. Someone must of picked them up last night or early this morning after reading this thread. They pop up from time to time. You just have to keep checking.

If you want budget big brakes, the 3kgts are fine but for real braking performance you need to go with brembos. The sumitomo calipers have flexing issues and much smaller pistons compared to the brembos, which is why the 3/S guys switch to evo brakes.

Oh, Canada. Didnt see that.
From the reading i have done up i hear a lot about part places like rock auto selling base line 3kgt brakes for all models not realizing that vr4s came with much larger brakes. But im sure it happens that they do sell big brakes on the cheap.
Seeing as i dont have much for tracks around here my car will mostly see street use so i dont really need the highest end in brakes. All i know is the single piston 1g brakes im running leave much to be desired haha.

Ya Canada sucks for parts we get massive inflation and most parts arent as readily available. Like say your $150 tires are double the price here.

So RTM taking on the brackets is just perfect, I'm sure some DSM guys could really use that extra braking power over the 1st gen VR4 setup's
There won't be any extra braking power over the 1g calipers with our setup. Our 2g caliper setup will use the same rotors as with the 1g calipers: Cobra rotors.

There won't be any extra braking power over the 1g calipers with our setup. Our 2g caliper setup will use the same rotors as with the 1g calipers: Cobra rotors.
Ok so you guys are just changing the mounting location to compensate for the difference. Gotcha.

Like someone told you, just sell those things and get a full Evo 8/9 setup. Rotors and calipers front and rear. Then upgrade the master cylinder and you're done I think rtm has a nice brembo kit that they sell for a great price if not you can find them used as they pop up quite often.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back