The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

2G AWD transmission for a 2G FWD

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andreb

Probationary Member
Mar 1, 2018
malta, Europe
Hi,

I am new to this and really appreciate the help of guys who did the swap.
have a 2G Eclipse and building it for drag racing looking at 800+ bhp. I am buying a PPG gear set and an AWD transmission to put it in. Can you please help figure out the below:

1. What Axles should I be after? FWD shafts?
  2. What LSD Spool should I be after?
  3. What other parts should I be considering I think starter, flywheel...
Uploaded some images of my setup

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20200501_170219.jpg
    IMG_20200501_170219.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 123
  • IMG_20200411_185922.jpg
    IMG_20200411_185922.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_20200411_185922.jpg
    IMG_20200411_185922.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 107
Car is FWD, going for an AWD transmission to fit the ppg gearset and stronger case. Car will remain FWD

Just need a VCE or welded center diff, then you can use equal length half shafts from an AWD in the front.
Can also remove the t-case output shaft and plug its hole as explained in Bobby's link.

Could also add in an LSD for the front diff to maximize traction. Just be sure to get the AWD front diff version, as the FWD versions are 27 spline and will not work with the AWD axles.

We ran an AWD transmission in our FWD Time Attack car, and it all works just fine.

FWD LSD, FWD Axle seals, FWD Axles and some machining to make it fit. Welded center dif in one of our transmissions, and a Spool in another. I also built a support plate to help keep the case rigidity and from cracking.

I actually have the DSS axles we used for this for sale if you are interested, PM me.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Yes interested in the dss axles. Do you have a complete setup for sale?

You will need to machine the bellhousing to accept the 2G FWD axle seal and also machine the bearing depth to fit a Quaife QDH7B with MD710663 bearings, then shim properly. You need to machine the case, the QDH7B does not just drop in.

With the PPG gearset, you just need the 1/2/3/4 with spool gearset. You will need to change the 3/4 shift rail to a 91.6-92.5 one or a modified Evo 3 one to use the PPG billet 3/4 fork. You will need a Magnus billet 1/2 fork. You will need to clearance the reverse idler gear lever and input shaft oil guide, and then modify the shift selector limiter cage, and modify the shift rail end detents for 1/2/3/4 to extend the shift range into each gear. You may also need to do a little clearancing of the rail limiters on the 5th gear cover.

If you are sticking FWD and using AWD axles with the halfshaft, then use Quaife QDH8B and 6207-2RS sealed roller bearings and no machining is necessary with 25 spline axles. Just use some upgraded DSS ones then.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back