The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

JDM AWD/FWD switchable transmission

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

That trans is from a JDM swap. Check your x case. You should see a lever that has a bolt through it. Loosen the bolt move the lever over and tighten the bolt back down. That switches from AWD to FWD. These are great to have if you don't have an AWD dyno around.

Regards
Greg

Bringing this one back from the dead.

I picked up a selectable trans for my VR4. The problem I have is, the trans didn't come with shifter cable brackets. I tried the 91+ brackets and those do not work. So my question is what cables and brackets are you guys running? I would imagine as long as the cables and brackets match it should be fine. But I did notice the shifter arm for a 90 trans is a bit longer.

Just wanted to see what you guys may know about this. I'm still trying a few things but looking for some more brains to pick.
Thanks guys

I have used switchable transfer cases on many cars, I am convinced that comment that they are weaker is a myth! If anything, they are a bit stronger...

I only used one switchable transmission. It bolded into '92 Laser without any problems. Unless they had different versions of switchable transmission.

How are your 91 cables "not working".

Last edited by a moderator:
i know this is an old thread, but does anyone still have one kicking around? if so post up some pictures of the visual differences between them. would love to see it

i know this is an old thread, but does anyone still have one kicking around? if so post up some pictures of the visual differences between them. would love to see it
I still have them. This is how they look.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The problem I have is, the trans didn't come with shifter cable brackets. I tried the 91+ brackets and those do not work. So my question is what cables and brackets are you guys running? I would imagine as long as the cables and brackets match it should be fine. But I did notice the shifter arm for a 90 trans is a bit longer. Just wanted to see what you guys may know about this.
Answering old question.
You use everything on your car now (shifter cables/shifter base/cable bracket/bracket base/selector arm removing by a air hammer) and swap only the transmission. The JDM switchable transmission probably comes with a 22 spline output shaft, so if you have a 23 spline t-case now or the tans doesn't come with a matched t-case, you would need either a 22 spline t-case or replacing the output shaft with a 23 spline.

Last edited:
I still have them. This is how they look.

Answering old question.
You use everything on your car now (shifter cables/shifter base/cable bracket/bracket base/selector arm removing by a air hammer) and swap only the transmission. The JDM switchable transmission probably comes with a 22 spline output shaft, so if you have a 23 spline t-case now or the tans doesn't come with a matched t-case, you would need either a 22 spline t-case or replacing the output shaft with a 23 spline.
what would be the value of one of these in comparison to say a stock usdm trans and t case of same condition?

what would be the value of one of these in comparison to say a stock usdm trans and t case of same condition?
I have no idea how much the value would be since those are something you don't see often in the used parts market.
As a transmission, I think it's stronger than the stock 93+ DSM transmission. I had this on my 1g for many years with the turbos from 14b to 67mm. I had probably had more than 100 pulls in the track, would be more if counting the pulls on the streets. Most of time the power range was somewhere between 450-550. I thought I was gonna break it quickly when I went with a 67mm turbo since it obviously increased the power, but finally it didn't get broken until I switched to the ppg gearset. Can't tell something for sure since I never open up this transmission but just sharing my experience.

I have no idea how much the value would be since those are something you don't see often in the used parts market.
As a transmission, I think it's stronger than the stock 93+ DSM transmission. I had this on my 1g for many years with the turbos from 14b to 67mm. I had probably had more than 100 pulls in the track, would be more if counting the pulls on the streets. Most of time the power range was somewhere between 450-550. I thought I was gonna break it quickly when I went with a 67mm turbo since it obviously increased the power, but finally it didn't get broken until I switched to the ppg gearset. Can't tell something for sure since I never open up this transmission but just sharing my experience.
They are “like” the 90-92 transmissions, so because of that they are stronger. But they have synchros of old transmissions, so shifting isn’t great…

They are “like” the 90-92 transmissions, so because of that they are stronger. But they have synchros of old transmissions, so shifting isn’t great…
Yeah it's similar to 90-92, because the switchable transmissions are KM221/225. The previous model of W5M3 from the mid/late 80s. While I had it in my 1g, the shifting was just fine, no issue at all for my usage.
From my experience, when I went with a 67mm turbo, I didn't want to break the switchable trans. Then I put a 93+ trans (Old school stage 2) as temporary use until I receive the dogbox that was taking some time to come in. It got broken quickly, and I returned to the switchable trans. Finally nothing got broken.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back