The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Awd transmission in fwd 2g gs

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tin_tin13

Proven Member
Mar 24, 2013
brookings, Oregon
I have a 1997 eclipse spyder gs and want to know what's needed for a awd tranny to fit? Couldn't find much info. Do I need the front subframe? Axles? Starter? Flywheel? From an awd car.

Are also converting to AWD? because it wouldn't be so smart to throw an AWD transmission and keep it FWD..

But if you are converting, you'll need the flywheel (its smaller then the FWD flywheel), subframes are the same, axles are different if i recall correct, the starter need to be from an AWD (again flywheel diameter) and transfer, case driveshaft, rear subframe out of the AWD etc.

Yes I plan going awd in the future, just wanted to get the front end swap done first and drive it that way for a few months. During my research I've read that fwd guys run a awd tranny since its stronger.

Okay from what I found in awd swaps I need:
2g awd tranny
Matching awd axles
Awd flywheel
Awd starter
Awd tranny cover

That it?

you won't be able to drive if FWD you would mess up your VC

I think he would if he welds the center diff but i wouldn't do that JUST to have it FWD.

OP, get all the parts you need (donor car is the best way to go, trust me) and once you have all the parts for the swap then go it all in one weekend. it takes about a good 8 hour day to do the full swap if its your first time.

So I might need a vc delete then? Probably just do the whole swap at one time. Going to be looking at a donor car this weekend I'll post pics of the condition its a 95 gsx. I also work at a body shop could possibly knock it out in a day with the help of my co-workers.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back