The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Auxiliary radiator fan

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsmlivesmatter

Proven Member
Mar 31, 2019
hamburg, New_York
Hey guys I want to wire up my stock radio fans to a switch so that I can turn them on at any point and just bypass my cars wiring for it. My plan was to take 12v power from an unused fuse slot that comes on with the ignition, use a 30a fuse, and wire that to a switch, and then send the power from the switch to the fans. Anyone have any insight on how I should wire this up? I want to just have the high setting on the fans, I know that one of the blue wires on the stock fan connector is for the high setting and the other is for low with a ground wire for each.

Hey guys I want to wire up my stock radio fans to a switch so that I can turn them on at any point and just bypass my cars wiring for it. My plan was to take 12v power from an unused fuse slot that comes on with the ignition, use a 30a fuse, and wire that to a switch, and then send the power from the switch to the fans. Anyone have any insight on how I should wire this up? I want to just have the high setting on the fans, I know that one of the blue wires on the stock fan connector is for the high setting and the other is for low with a ground wire for each.
Radiator fans**** LOL not radio fans

Do some searches, there are ways to integrate an "override switch" into the stock setup so they work as designed automatically, but you can override them to be on command when desired.

Problem with the way you described wanting to do it is the amount of current draw you'll have. If you switched the grown side, and ran a new power (10-12ga) straight from the battery with a 30a fuse, per fan, then that should suffice and take load off the switch and whatever 12v slot you intended to use.

May I ask why you are wanting to disable the factory system? It works very well, especially when used with ecmlink, which you can alter fan on/off times with.

Do some searches, there are ways to integrate an "override switch" into the stock setup so they work as designed automatically, but you can override them to be on command when desired.

Problem with the way you described wanting to do it is the amount of current draw you'll have. If you switched the grown side, and ran a new power (10-12ga) straight from the battery with a 30a fuse, per fan, then that should suffice and take load off the switch and whatever 12v slot you intended to use.

May I ask why you are wanting to disable the factory system? It works very well, especially when used with ecmlink, which you can alter fan on/off times with.
Its gonna sound lazy but, the fans wont turn on, as soon as I activate them via ecmlink by checking the "activate fans full on" box it blows the fuse, I've been working on this car all winter and now have everything all buttoned up and running, and I don't feel like chasing around a short in the harness, summers are only a couple months here in western new york LOL

Have you bench tested the fans to make sure they are good and it's not a bad fan motor?
I'd also test the fan wiring to see if one of the power wires is shorted to ground as that's what it sounds like the issue is.

Really it shouldn't be hard to track down, but the link @luv2rallye posted should get you going if you want to wire them up manually for now.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back