The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Radiator fan question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Miller

Proven Member
Jan 27, 2020
Watertown, Wisconsin
Hello fellow DSM addicts!

I have a quick question about 2g dsm radiator fans, keep in mind I'm knew to the dsm scene so this might be a dumb question. I was idling my dsm for the first time, it was just sitting in my driveway purring like a demonic cat. I noticed my temp reading to half way and it stayed there. Does the thermostat open up around when the coolant temp gets to normal operating temp? Are the fans supposed to turn on at the half mark as well? The fans never turned on and I never ran it for too long so I'm not sure. I will be replacing the thermostat as it is old.

Thanks

My car takes a while of idling for the fan to finally come one. The thermostat will open, let cool liquid in, then close and repeat the process in a shorter frequency till it hits a peak frequency rate that it maintains (if idling). Usually after the first couple cycles your rad will be up to temp then the fan will turn on.

You'll have to run the car for longer than a short bit to get the fans to cycle. The gauge is in the thermostat housing, the fan switch is in the radiator (for 1gs at least). I don't recall if the 2g has it's thermoswitch in the t-stat housing.

I want to say fan switch trips at 195 or 203 stock, can't recall especially on a 2g.

If I'm not mistaking the drivers side fan only turns on with the AC. The passenger side may not turn at all. On a 50 degree day with my hood open mine stays off. On a 90 degree day with the hood closed it turns on and stays on. That's pretty standard operation. I believe the fan kicks on at 200ish and shuts off around 190. OE thermostat is 180 so on a colder day convection off the radiator is normally enough to cool the engine.

Throughout my years of working on cars, and other things, I have also noticed an oddity with DSMs compared to others when burping the cooling system. Normally most cars take about 20ish minutes to purge all the air bubbles. Every DSM I've done this with takes at least 45 minutes before the fans even cycle on for the first time.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back