The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Auto ECU pulling Timing on shifts

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoosteDsm1993

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 19, 2010
Peoria, Arizona
Exactly as the title states. I just installed an evo 3 16g on my '93, it's running wategate pressure right now until I can afford to buy dsmlink/fueling. Don't worry guys, It's not being driven as I have a DD. Timing being reduced on shifts is VERY apparent now that the car is flowing more air. What my question is: I've heard of quite a few people swapping in the 5 speed ecu, but it seems like only the 14b guys are doing this, with no other mods. Do I need to have a 5 speed ECU to prevent timing being pulled, or will DSMlink allow me to adjust it to my liking? Sorry if it's a silly question, I'm just wondering so I can get the ball rolling and either send out my current ECU to get socketed/chipped or buy an auto ECU and get this done. Thank you for your help.

I've got the same issue. Its not TOO bad, but I can still feel it. I was going to grab the M/T ecu and 450 injectors. Make sure you get both. I don't feel like a 16g on a stock A/T is a good choice. Mine came with it.

Soooooo..Whats the issue here, and what info do you actually want me to answer?

The ecu should not be pulling timing when the trans shifts..Were auto's its called no lift to shift for the 5 speed guys.

the only time the ecu should pull timing becouse of the tranny is when ## brake boosting and yes swapping to a five speed ecu will fix this but it shouldnt be pulling time between shits. so are running link or any other data logging system. see if ## getting any counts of knock that will pull timing. if ## an auto do u still have the 390 cc injectors if so u could be maxing them with that 16g and running a lil lean.

I had boost creep with an ebay 16g, and 390 injectors for a couple months..I had no issues.

Would I suggest doing that..Absolutly not.

During brake boosting yes.The auto ecu is gonna pull timing..So dont do that either.

I had boost creep with an ebay 16g, and 390 injectors for a couple months..I had no issues.

Would I suggest doing that..Absolutly not.

During brake boosting yes.The auto ecu is gonna pull timing..So dont do that either.

Maybe I'm confusing boost creep with timing being pulled. It hits 8psi, and as the rpm's rise in first, the boost comes up to 10psi, it shifts to second, the boost goes back to 8psi, and right after the shift it plummets back down to 8psi (only for roughly a second or two) and then goes back to 10. The MBC is turned all the way down. And as I stated before, this car is NOT my daily driver right now at least, I have my STi for that. So my question now would be this: When I get ECMlink, will I be able to prevent the ECU from pulling timing when brake boosting? Or is swapping to the 5 speed ECU the ONLY way to prevent this? Sorry for the confusion guys.

I've got the same issue. Its not TOO bad, but I can still feel it. I was going to grab the M/T ecu and 450 injectors. Make sure you get both. I don't feel like a 16g on a stock A/T is a good choice. Mine came with it.

While this is true, I can't really imagine the 16g (on 8 psi) flowing all that much more air than the 13g, considering I was running 15ish psi on the 13g with no issues for the past year or so. I was surprised that I hardly noticed a decrease in spool time, and for some reason even on such low boost, the E3 16g sounds WICKED when it comes on. I really can't wait to get the supporting fuel/ECM link and water/meth, this thing is going to flipping FLY.

Last edited:
Lol, have at it! I actually just found out that I already have a 5-speed ECU in my auto with STOCK injectors. Previous owner was a derp. Anyway, yeah, my 16g sounds like a jet-engine when it start spooling at around 8psi. I would look into why its pulling timing in between gears though. I think mine was from bad gas my roommate put in my car, I've filled up with shell 93 a few times and it went away.

The 5 speed ecu, is the only "bolt in" way to brake boost with no pulling timing.

It sounds like you have more than one issue goin on with the car..But if the pulling timing is what u want to fix.I think we covered that.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back