The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Auto transmission sluggish and shifts whenever it wants, NO CODES

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jarnutt

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 21, 2009
Peoria, Arizona
I searched and searched for the last week and haven't found a problem that sounds like mine that has had a solution yet. This is my first post, I'm not new to turbo or import tuning, but this IS my first DSM, and the automatic transmission and AWD might be a bit much for me to tackle alone. My problem is that the car drives fine at highway speeds, downshifts hard from a 45mph roll and hauls ass when you punch it WOT. HOWEVER, it drags ass on the bottom end, the previous owner chalked it up to turbo lag since its a stock turbo and a huge front mount with an automatic. The best I can describe it, it its like accelerating with the Ebrake pulled, and then suddenly it takes off like a rocket about 30 or 40mph. From a roll it sometimes decides to shift into second gear right after you start moving, if I choose to shift it manually (L to 2 to D), it will still drag ass to get moving, sometimes, other times it takes off fine and shifts fine, even under part throttle, normal driving, it sometimes shifts at the normal shift points, or it will out of nowhere decide to shift into second at about 10 mph and then 3rd at about 20mph. Overdrive works perfectly fine, and I don't feel or see the tranny slipping at all, the engine doesn't rev up, it just drags ass to get up there, and I'm fully boosted the whole time, its literally like having the E brake pulled. Also I've noticed that when it DOES decide to drive normally (ish) under part throttle acceleration from a light or stop, I feel it surging a bit, almost like its pulling timing or like someone was pulling on the E brake softly, I'm familiar with that feeling from my other turbo car when the boost solonoid went bad it kept pulling boost and the car would kind of lunge under part throttle. I have no codes in either the ecu or tcu, just a steady short pulse, its pissing me off. I'm clueless to DSM cars as far as their quirks go, but any help would be greatly appreciated. We pulled the pan to change the leaky gasket when the new motor went in, as the stock motor had thrown a rod, and there is no metal at all in the transmission, fluid is clean and red, and flushed it anyways. I had never driven this car until the new motor went in, so I dont know if the blown motor had the same issues or not.

well i took them both out and they where clean, i still wiped them off and put them back in, still having the same issue, the transmission seems to work better cold and once it warms up is when i can feel it much more. any thoughts? i also just got off the phone with john from ipt and he is baffled too.

Physically tapping into the signal wires with a meter or o-scope then driving. Idk if you can monitor the pulse generators for the trans through a scan tool, possibly with a factory one, but aftermarket idk.

Physically tapping into the signal wires with a meter or o-scope then driving. Idk if you can monitor the pulse generators for the trans through a scan tool, possibly with a factory one, but aftermarket idk.
I wish I had a service port so I can at least scan for tranny codes!! I got a 96, I can’t find one on mine

I run the Smartshift 100.1 and can see tranny codes. All I get it vehicle speed sensor out of range. Does that point in any direction?
Luckly I can clear those codes and Ignore Limp mode with it.

I run the Smartshift 100.1 and can see tranny codes. All I get it vehicle speed sensor out of range. Does that point in any direction?
Luckly I can clear those codes and Ignore Limp mode with it.

yea i have the shift box lite from forced four now in the car, but i leave the switch on stock ecu 95% of the time and use the shift box once in a while. but i will look into that shift box you are talking about. but if there is a problem i would like to fix it rather then put a band-aid on it.

The only thing I haven't done is take the speedometer out and cleaned the magnetic vss sender to see if the quirkyness goes away.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back