The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Anyone have expierence with wider tires on stock 16'' chrome wheels

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boosted DSM 32

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 21, 2011
McDonald, Ohio
I have the stock chrome wheels for a dsm and i absolutely love them i think they look awesome! Ive heard that some people have been able to squeeze 225/40/16s on them? does anyone have any pictures of what theres look like with wider tires on them? I have 205/55/16s on them now and i need new tires so i figured if i can, get some wider more performanced based tires on it and give it a much meaner stance.

Before the car gets back on the road it will have kyb adjustable shocks on it and a lowering kit as well also if that combo i mentioned wont work, whats the biggest size tire i am able to run on those wheels because i really want to use them if i can! Heres a picture of mine to see what it looks like now and to show you what rims im talking about

Attachments

• gsx photoshoot 3.jpg
    gsx photoshoot 3.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 1,711
I have 225/50/16 jammed on my 1g with no spacers and stock ride height. I have stock 2g swirly rims tho but im sure they are the same rim different looking tho. I dont have a camera right now and its dark out but this weekend i should have a camera back to get some pics. Only problem i have with them is that they hydro plane bad. They are BFs Comp A/T.

They do stick out quiet a bit like a fat chick with a muffin top LOL. And they also have a ton of roll as well. If I can get out a little early tomorrow I will take some pics but it will be with a camera phone (not as good). It looks sick with wide tires from the rear tho! LOL

They do stick out quiet a bit like a fat chick with a muffin top LOL. And they also have a ton of roll as well. If I can get out a little early tomorrow I will take some pics but it will be with a camera phone (not as good). It looks sick with wide tires from the rear tho! LOL

Ya I know what to mean! Haha I really don't want that roll or the fat looking tire I would love to get a 40 series sidewall that would be perfect but 1gs look so freakin mean with a nice wide tire I love it!!

a 235/50/16 should be perfect for mi taste..i dont really know if they fit though...225 should fit easilly but its not wide enough!!! I like how wide tires look as well, and i also like how tires bulge.. ive ran 255 on my 2g LOL

I did also get some 235/45/R17's on there as well same stock ride height. I'll see if I can find an old pic of it.

I know the pic isn't the greatest but thats with the 235's on there.

Attachments

• new jjunk 004.jpg
    new jjunk 004.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 677
Heres an old pic of my car when I had the stock 2g wheels on it. The tires were 225/55/16s. Lowered on Pro-Kit springs and kyb agx

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Heres an old pic of my car when I had the stock 2g wheels on it. The tires were 225/55/16s. Lowered on Pro-Kit springs and kyb agx

Awesome man! Thanks for the reply thus exactly what I was looking for :) that doesn't look to bad at all really how bad would the wheel gap be with a 40 series lowered 2 inches?

Also do you have any wheel spacers on there or anything? I like where the tires are sitting 1gs look so mean with a nice stance on them!

EDIT: how bad would the roll be with the 55 sidewall? I have a friend telling me it would be terrible I really don't think it'll be that bad at all

Yea I know the rims are ugly. LOL They are imported from Japan back in 2000, so they are kinda rare LOL. Heres some shots of the 225/50/R16.

Attachments

• new photos 020.jpg
    new photos 020.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 538
  • new photos 022.jpg
    new photos 022.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 452
  • new photos 021.jpg
    new photos 021.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 558
Yea I know the rims are ugly. LOL They are imported from Japan back in 2000, so they are kinda rare LOL. Heres some shots of the 225/50/R16.

They're "rare" because everyone was smart enough not to buy them. ROFL

They're "rare" because everyone was smart enough not to buy them. ROFL

Yea I know I didnt buy them directly.. they came on my 2G when i bought it and when I bought the 1G not to long ago, the 1G had shit tires on it so I just threw those rims and tires on it because the tires are still good and I wanted to get use outta them before I remove those rims from service forever! LOL

I also have 225/50/16's on the 5-spoke GST wheels (see gallery) and I like the way they look actually. My ride height isn't that low, so the tires actually help fill in some of the gap.

Also, I've started using this calculator that gives you a visual and actual measured difference in two setups:

Wheel Comparer

225 on the stock 16" rims is probably the widest you want to go. Even if you managed to get 235's or even 245's somehow for "performance" reasons, it will probably have the opposite effect with the tire protruding that far off the side of the rim. 225/50/16 will keep the same overall diameter as stock.

I'm running 225/50's on my stock 1G swirleys, they are a bit meaty, but I like the look personally.

As far as performance, I'm making north off 500hp and it still hooks decently in 1st, and 2nd hooks great, feels a little loose in the rear in 2nd but it's certainly acceptable.

Hey guys just picked these up the other day

I was wondering if tire size is really makes a big difference.

There's 215-55-R16's on them. 2 tires are in good shape and the other 2 need to get replaced.

Should I just get some 215-55-R16's? or should I just get 205-55-R16?

Sorry I really don't know much about tires and what not. My car/suspension is completely stock.

Theres actually someone on CL selling them 100 obo! LOL!!! LOL ROFL

I don't think they're rare. Just ugly! LOL ROFL

Last edited:
I'm running 225/50's on my stock 1G swirleys, they are a bit meaty, but I like the look personally.

As far as performance, I'm making north off 500hp and it still hooks decently in 1st, and 2nd hooks great, feels a little loose in the rear in 2nd but it's certainly acceptable.

Thanks for the input man that's what I was lookin to hear as well if 500 can hook for you I shouldn't have a problem btw love your car one of my favorite ones on tuners love the stock look with big power :)

Hey guys just picked these up the other day PIC[/URL]

I was wondering if tire size is really makes a big difference.

There's 215-55-R16's on them. 2 tires are in good shape and the other 2 need to get replaced.

Should I just get some 215-55-R16's? or should I just get 205-55-R16?

Sorry I really don't know much about tires and what not. My car/suspension is completely stock.

No offense intended, but it really isn't going to matter on a 420A that is stock. You're better off getting the 205-55-16's as they should be cheaper and should provide less rolling resistance.

The difference there ends up being a little more than 0.400" in overall diameter and, like I said in PM, 10mm (~0.390") in width. It will throw your speedometer off a little bit but will fill the wheel gap a little better. At the end of the day, it is completely up to you.

Since this thread is on the subject of tires, does anyone know the widest tire you can run on the 2GB 10 spoke GSX wheels? They at 17 x 6.5 I believe. Would a 245 fit on them?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back