The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WisconsinMonSTAR

Proven Member
Apr 20, 2014
Kenosha, Wisconsin
I've been on the hunt for a valve cover fitted with 10AN fittings for a catch can setup to help alleviate crankcase pressures as I up the power on my build. Since I don't really want to go through the hassle/cost of modifying and fitting a valve cover with the vents myself, I've been trying to find one that has already been properly fitted. I came across several of these "AER" valve covers posted up on eBay, which look to be pretty decent, but there is minimal info to be found, at least in the searches I've conducted. Does anyone have one or know anything about these?

4G63 Mitsubishi Eclipse Talon Laser 1G & 2G DSM valve cover | eBay

I might opt to have the baffles tack welded in place so that there isn't potential to have screws shaking loose, but other than that, it seems like a good option. Considering all OEM valve covers with 10AN vents that are for sale are either already powder coated to someone else's color scheme, never had the baffles properly R&R'd for the process, or need work to get them to the point where I'd be comfortable installing on my car, these aren't too expensive, and cover all the bases.

Experience and/or opinions wanted!

I've been digging some more, found another ad with more detail.

Automotive Engineering Racing LLC

Valve cover fits 1G and 2G DSM

Specification.

• There are two large 18 millimetre (7/10'') holes for the AN fitting.
  • This valve cover retain a baffle for original manufacture setup and performance without restricting crankcase gas from coming out of the valve cover.
  • The oil cap in an improvement from the original. The crew type that prevent oil leak from the oil cap. "No more twist on caps"
  • Valve cover is cast and CNC machine to spec.

What is include in this purchase? ALL AER Brand

• Valve cover
  • Valve cover gasket (Viton material 400 degree F better over high temp silicone gasket)
  • Hardware for install valve cover
  • Two 10AN fittings
  • Oil cap

What is not included?

- Spark plug cover with hardware ( The Original manufacture spark-plug cover is install to show fitment, Due to the tolerance of fitment we recommend OEM part, aftermarket spark-plug cover might need little modification to fit.)

Note:

If your interested in the OEM setup please send me a message. We sell the item for this cover to make it work with PCV if needed.

Also did a google search on the company itself, which didn't yield a ton of info, other than it appears to be a Florida based company.

Automotive Engineering Racing LLC in Groveland, FL | Company Info (bizapedia.com)

Still wondering if anyone has any personal experience with the valve cover. It's a simple enough component to where it seems like there isn't much that can be done wrong, other than fitment of course.

A thread I found on these:

https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/aftermarket-valve-cover.529610/

Last edited by a moderator:
I would bet that is an actual OEM valve cover that they shaved and put their own logo on.

Definitely not. They're casting their own. Cap, AN ports, area where the bolt holes are... Nice step between a stocker and the FF billet option. If they offered it without the logo it'd be way more appealing though.

I also don't care for the logo and as far as I'm aware @ThunderChild and I are the only ones with them in our possession at the moment. Give me until Mid-january and I can post an in-depth review on it.

I will have a 10an calan setup with a holset hx35 on an English racing tune ideally by then.

Just finishing up contract work in Alaska now and of course I have holidays and ski vacations to address first

Damn, when they first started selling them they were neon green with purple fittings......thankfully they've differentiated the colors.

I also don't care for the logo and as far as I'm aware @ThunderChild and I are the only ones with them in our possession at the moment. Give me until Mid-january and I can post an in-depth review on it.

I will have a 10an calan setup with a holset hx35 on an English racing tune ideally by then.

Just finishing up contract work in Alaska now and of course I have holidays and ski vacations to address first

Seems like everyone (myself included) so far would prefer without the logo.

I'm strongly considering picking one of these up. With their price, it would be a cheaper option for me than finding and buying a good core, and then having the fittings, coating, and baffles done.

Looks like we both have similar plans. As I am planning to get a VS3 setup to run with my new HX35. Just finished installing it last week actually. I just reached out to see if Calan is still making the catch cans, since I saw he took a break from making them for a while. E85 definitely produces a lot more blow-by as the weather cools down. I installed a set of mishimoto compact cans 2 years back, and the brass filter elements clogged up so quickly that I was better off without them. Ever since, I've been stuck in this position of being held back from a proper catch can setup due to everything required as far as customizing the valve cover and getting my hands on a quality catch can.

Good to know at least two people have one of these VCs. If I get one, I'll certainly be updating this thread with my impressions. Definitely let us know how things go with yours!

Contact him too if you're picky on color he has quite a few different colors. They all seem to use purple anodized fittings though. Which doesn't really fit my color scheme but I can live with it for the price especially since other similar units cost around the $500 mark nowadays

Definitely not. They're casting their own. Cap, AN ports, area where the bolt holes are... Nice step between a stocker and the FF billet option. If they offered it without the logo it'd be way more appealing though.
Ok, maybe you got me there. I figured anyone who's talented at wedding can install the bungs and oil cap insert and sand til it looks great. Hadn't noticed the bolt holes though. So at least it's plausible as a new casting. However, that logo looks like ass. If it were indeed a fresh casting, they at least could have made their logo cast a lot better. Would look better without it though.

I do find this a bit hard to believe though. We've all done it, it happens. To make this claim is a bit much.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I have one installed. Should be able to start running fluids through my car by this weekend. It looks good though. You can use oem bolts or the bolts they provided which are about 1/8" longer. Comes standard with 10an male adaptors for a calan style setup

Also if you look at the other AER valve cover thread I have differences between stock and AER.

I have one installed. Should be able to start running fluids through my car by this weekend. It looks good though. You can use oem bolts or the bolts they provided which are about 1/8" longer. Comes standard with 10an male adaptors for a calan style setup

Also if you look at the other AER valve cover thread I have differences between stock and AER.

Thanks, I actually just posted over there also :)

I messaged the seller and confirmed that the gaskets can be sealed multiple times as long as they’re not damaged, although there isn’t currently a gasket set available he can sell extra gaskets and will be adding them to their website which is currently under construction.
So at literally half the cost of frontline fab and no more expensive than modifying a factory cover properly I went ahead and ordered one. My engine is due back from Buschur by end of Feb so hopefully I’ll be able to put it to use before the year is over

Would this accommodate a Coil on Plug type setup?

Well the coil plug area is the same size as stock with the same cover screw holes. I'd imagine it would fit unless you had a larger aluminum block setup like JMF Idk if that'd fit. The only difference is that the tunnel that used to house the plastic cord organizer thingy doesnt have the snap on terminal so it's kinda sitting awkwardly outside it

It holds pressure just fine. Had it on the dyno a couple weeks ago. Haven't leaked yet from the cover. The paint looks good in person as well I think they have alot more options now. Something like 13 colors.

I installed mine recently. Fitment of the cover its self was good, but the JMF coil cover needed to be shaved down on the top and bottom. I opted to have mine purchased bare, and had it powdercoated locally. I did not feel comfortable with the internal baffle mounting so I opted not to install it. Running a catch can as large as mine I an not too worried about it. I figured emptying the CC more often was a lot better than possibly dropping a screw into my head. I would definitely recommend giving this cover a shot. Price is good for a new cover and it is much nicer looking than stock. Also - OEM cover prices have also sky rocketed lately.

I hate to go back on my words but I feel like I need to at least keep everyone interested in this cover updated. I finally was able to get on my car after a rear-end rebuild (100 miles of light driving was needed). As soon as I came home I noticed some smoking coming from under my hood. This was due to the AER cover leaking like a sieve! It however did not leak the first 100 miles while not in boost...

What I found was that the casting in the drivers side front corner was a tad lower than the rest (this checked with a straight edge) So, when tightened down it actually damaged the provided gasket (put a nice hole in it). I took a wizzer to the edge, made it as flat as possible, and installed an "oem" felpro gasket. I will have to do some heavy driving to see if this cleared up the issue, but I hope it works.

Also, the provided fittings, and rubber o-rings did not seem to hold back oil. This may be due to me not running the internal baffles, so I cannot blame this on AER. What I am trying now is to put some mitsu-bond on the fitting along with the o-ring. Hopefully this works. Below is a picture of my oil loss, as you can see it is quite a bit!

So what you're saying is people should remove their turbo if running this cover?
HaHa! God I hope not... I just didn't experience any issues prior to last night. I really hope this was the only issue as I do really like the look of this VC. I will say the stock gasket fit much nicer. Much better than the one provided by AER. (Fingers Crossed)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back