The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Advice on high output alternators

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrT40

Probationary Member
Jun 18, 2013
Arvada, Colorado
I havent found a solution to my squeeling belt I posted a thread earlier about the death squeel so im just going to try to replace the alternator. I have a 4600 watt system and figured getting a high output alternator would probably be best. I was wondering if anyone has messed around with these and or if they are plug and play or do i need to do any drilling or moving around, ect. Any advice works, im looking to get a fairly cheap yet efficient alternator.

The best option IMO is to do a Saturn Alternator swap. The Saturn alt. is a much better alternator in general, it is around 75amps stock, and you can also buy higher amp ones on ebay for pretty cheap. You will need to grind the alternator case and a bit of the front case to get it to fit though. There is a how-to article on this site somewhere.

I'm in for the saturn as well. I have one, and they kick more voltage, and as an added bonus, they are tough as nails. I fried several oem & autozone stocker alternators because of my 3" o2 housing was too close to the alt. Since I've put in the saturn, it has run great no issues :D

I havent found a solution to my squeeling belt I posted a thread earlier about the death squeel so im just going to try to replace the alternator. I have a 4600 watt system and figured getting a high output alternator would probably be best. I was wondering if anyone has messed around with these and or if they are plug and play or do i need to do any drilling or moving around, ect. Any advice works, im looking to get a fairly cheap yet efficient alternator.

4600 RMS? or MAX wattage.. there is a HUGE difference. If your doing 4600 RMS then I would have hoped you would upgrade your alternator to something more stout. If you could post your budget that would help a ton, cheap to others isn't cheap to some. If your pushing 4600 RMS then you would want to go and send Mechman an email. There alternators are on the higher end but If it were me I'd rather spend a bit more for an alternator than frying my subs, or amp due to clipping by low voltage. Let me know your budget, and if you mean MAX or RMS.

- Zufelt

4600 watts of what brand? Haha... I used to be huge into car audio, DC Power and Mechman can get you 270 amp alts for around $550. If you're ACTUALLY pulling almost 5kw RMS then you need that much charging power. If you've just got one battery and that "4600" watts I would imagine it's Boss or something. Back to the alternator though.. look into Mechman, DC Power, and Excessive Amperage for real high output alternators....those eBay alternators won't put out their rated amperage for long, if at all.

4600 watts of what brand? Haha... I used to be huge into car audio, DC Power and Mechman can get you 270 amp alts for around $550. If you're ACTUALLY pulling almost 5kw RMS then you need that much charging power. If you've just got one battery and that "4600" watts I would imagine it's Boss or something. Back to the alternator though.. look into Mechman, DC Power, and Excessive Amperage for real high output alternators....those eBay alternators won't put out their rated amperage for long, if at all.

Looks like someone from the forums got a DSM.. OP here are the links for the above brands.

Mechman Alternators, High Output Alternators, Built in the USA, Call 1-888-MECHMAN!
https://www.dcpowerinc.com/

If you have a volt meter inside of the car, what does your voltage dip down to? That will help everyone determine what kind of alternator you'll need. Unfortunately there not as "cheap" as many of these other alternatives. If your strapped for cash, I'd go with the Saturn alternator as stated above, if you have a bit more money to spend go with Mechman that way you don't have to keep upgrading your electrical needs as you upgrade your stereo. :thumb:

Looks like someone from the forums got a DSM.. OP here are the links for the above brands.

Mechman Alternators, High Output Alternators, Built in the USA, Call 1-888-MECHMAN!
https://www.dcpowerinc.com/

If you have a volt meter inside of the car, what does your voltage dip down to? That will help everyone determine what kind of alternator you'll need. Unfortunately there not as "cheap" as many of these other alternatives. If your strapped for cash, I'd go with the Saturn alternator as stated above, if you have a bit more money to spend go with Mechman that way you don't have to keep upgrading your electrical needs as you upgrade your stereo. :thumb:

Yea, we've gone over this man haha. We've met on SMD before.

I have used Powermaster alternators in other cars in the past. I like them. Awesome alternators. I had one pushing like 100 amps at an idle and like 180ish at 2000rpms.

Do NOT get one from Maniac Electronics. They suck and the guy uses shitty parts.

I would put an extra yellow top Optima in the back for additional power supply. Don't even mess with capacitors.

I have used Powermaster alternators in other cars in the past. I like them. Awesome alternators. I had one pushing like 100 amps at an idle and like 180ish at 2000rpms.

Do NOT get one from Maniac Electronics. They suck and the guy uses shitty parts.

I would put an extra yellow top Optima in the back for additional power supply. Don't even mess with capacitors.

I can't speak for those alternators, but a yellow top shouldn't be used in audio.. IMO For the same price you can pick up a nice XS power battery, but lets keep it on topic about what alternator he should use.

No one has done the math but if you truly are pulling 4600 watts(thats pretty crazy, hope you have ear protection or somethin) then you are drawing 383 amps at max volume.Thats just audio.
Remember P=I*E
Thats assuming 12V, if voltage goes up, current goes down and vice versa as you can see.

I should have been more specific, its 4500 max. I have two 1800 watt kenwood excelon for 3 subs, and a 900w kenwood execlon 4 channel for speakers, also have a pioneer touch screen, I do have a extra battery in the back i purchased its a shuriken 35 hour from quality auto sound. I do not have a voltage meter but that should be a priority soon. Id like to spend under 500 but ill look into mechman or DC power. I did recently notice that my lights have been diming im not sure if the secondary battery isnt holding charge or my alternator is going.

I should have been more specific, its 4500 max. I have two 1800 watt kenwood excelon for 3 subs, and a 900w kenwood execlon 4 channel for speakers, also have a pioneer touch screen, I do have a extra battery in the back i purchased its a shuriken 35 hour from quality auto sound. I do not have a voltage meter but that should be a priority soon. Id like to spend under 500 but ill look into mechman or DC power. I did recently notice that my lights have been diming im not sure if the secondary battery isnt holding charge or my alternator is going.

Your suppose to charge your battery's on a trickle charge, but you need more amps out of that alt for sure as well.. Buy a volt meter for 5 bucks on eBay so you save your equipment.

Your suppose to charge your battery's on a trickle charge, but you need more amps out of that alt for sure as well.. Buy a volt meter for 5 bucks on eBay so you save your equipment.

I emailed mechman for a quote so that and a volt meter is the next thing on the list, Im not very intelligent when it comes to audio I have my brother usually help me, I have the second battery hooked up to the first with a distribution block, i also have a circuit breaker 200 amp, not sure what trickle charge means but I would be devastated if I fried anything or messed anything up considering i put almost 2k into it.

I emailed mechman for a quote so that and a volt meter is the next thing on the list, Im not very intelligent when it comes to audio I have my brother usually help me, I have the second battery hooked up to the first with a distribution block, i also have a circuit breaker 200 amp, not sure what trickle charge means but I would be devastated if I fried anything or messed anything up considering i put almost 2k into it.

Trickle charge is basicly a charger that you put on your battery to charge it overnight.. Think about it as a phone charger. You want to pick up a meter ASAP so you don't dip to low and burn up any coils.

I got a barely used 165A H/O alternator on ebay for $50 shipped. Got super lucky. Works great.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back