The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

How high is too high output alternator?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1gDSM4g63

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 28, 2007
San Jose, California
I know that having a higher output alternator can be more reliable in the top end with high HP but how high is to high and I'm speaking of going to a Saturn 135-160 amp or 200 amp. I heard that going to high can take away HP.

A higher amperage alternator will not affect your performance. The alternator will put a drag on your engine in two ways. First is the inertia of the moving parts inside the alternator. If you increase the mass of the rotating assembly, then there will be more parasitic lost from the engine. The second will be the drag of actually producing electricity. This is controlled by the computer so if the voltage of the car is high enough the computer will actually shut down the alternator and there will be no drag there.

Here is how alternators work.

Any upgrade you can afford on the charging system on these cars will give you better results. Anything that you loose from a larger rotating mass will be offset by the fact that your voltages are more consistent through the RPM band. You will get better spark, better fuel injection, and you will be able to see better at night!

Good Luck!

ps I put a Saturn 110 amp with the Jay's racing bracket on my car and it runs 100% better!

You can never have too many amps!!! LOL!

Just kidding! Ya the 200 amp alternator would be great, but it is probably expensive, I am guessing. The 110 amp was like 95 dollars when I purchased it. So depending on how much more the 200 amp costs I would think twice.

The price difference might not make up for the performance difference(if any at all).

Like I said, the 110 amp is great for me. I have a stereo with a highs amp(300w RMS), sub amp(1200w RMS), 4 gauges, electronic boost controller,HID's , and all the usual electronic things like power windows and locks. the 110 amp does fine for all that. The only time it gets bogged down is when I am running the rear defrost, head lights, windshield wipers, HVAC at max fan, all at idle. But that would be for almost any system.

Good Luck man!

Let me know what you decide!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back