The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Question about alternator fuse, and high output alternator

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evanspears1

20+ Year Contributor
Mar 31, 2004
Prestonsburg, Kentucky
Hi, My question is, do I need a higher rated alt. fuse with a 135 amp alterstart alternator??? The factory fuse is rated at 80 amps... The install instructions with the alt. said replace the big 3 cables, and stuff like that, but no mention to the fuse. my old one was fried anyway, so I went to advance, and all they had was 80 amp fuses. I asked them about my dilemma but being the dubmasses they are they they didnt know even what I was talking about... I got the 80 amp fuse, just so I could get everything running and it works so far, but im afraid if I redline it anytime soon it will pop the fuse... so maybe its just one of those things your just supposed to know, but I missed haha
Thanks for the help,
Evan:talon: :talon:

Ok, so for right now, other than a few little do-dads that add up to nothing, everything is still at stock draw... So for at least a little while I will be safe, but what happens when I attach a Audiobahn A2300hct (1600x1 watts rms) and a Hollywood Sound Labs rhv-40s (85x4 watts rms)... I know that I will be pulling way more than 80 amps then, so would I need a bigger fuse then??? if so, should I get a bigger factory style fuse, or an inline fuse like that comes with amp wiring kits? Sorry for all the dumb questions:confused:
-Evan

I think your thinking im asking about a fuse for stuff after my battery...my question is what kind of fuse do I need to go in between the alternator and the battery to replace the factory 80 amp piece in the engine fuse box... do they make bigger fuses in that style, or will I have to go to an inline fuse holder between the alternator and battery???

The 1g's have a 100A fuse available - I think it's for the Canadian models with the 90A alternator. The 2g NT has a 120A fuse there (it may be a different physical size than your 1g 80A however - you'll have to check).

ok, on top of my factory current draw, I will have a max draw of 160 amps (40Ax4 fuses) from the audiobahn amp, and a max draw of 50 amps from the hollywood amp, so in that case what should I do, because I know that it wont constantly be pulling that much, but even if I can get a 2g 120A fuse to work, I still dont think that will be enough... or will it?

Start with the 80A, and see if you have any trouble with it.
Make sure all your fusebox contacts are clean, and that all your ground wire mounting points and battery terminals are as well.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back