The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

97 awd/AT swap. 650whp goal

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It's very tough. I scratched the hell out of it during install and not a scuff shown. Now, before you bake it at 500* for 1 hour? It's strong but no way would it take any dings. It MUST be cured, imo.
And like i said, you can indeed use your kitchen oven. Just open up every window in the house. The odor does not last and it causes zero damage to the oven. Luck for us we don't have v8 "headers".... i baked everything all at once with plenty of room. Normal oven, not oversized.

Yes, man....i just got going on everything and hate stopping to take pics. My phone pic is too big for this site so i'll have to shrink it, email it to myself, then upload it here.
I just have some pics of the finished coated parts mounted up.

Here's a pic right after the baking. They were all cooling down right here but that's what it looks like. Trying to upload a pic of them mounted now.

That really sucks about the FP coating coming off. I just lucked out and had a local machinist do me a favor. You can not get any pro grade ceramic coatings anywhere unless you're a dealer. OR, get a dealer to do you a ffavor and order a very small can. I used "turbo-x". Comes in black or blue. Blue would be.........uhhhh, hideous? Is that the right word? LOL!
I used maybe 3 ounces out of the 8oz can. This stuff goes a very very long way. They say use only one coat but i put on a very thick coat.
20150905_114042_resized.jpg

And a pic of them mounted up. Waste gates were not baked actually. there's such a tiny area that i coated on there that i'll let the actual engine heat do the curing on the wg. My copper spray on my gaskets may have got a bit out of hand LOL, i tried not to mess up the nice coating much at all though.
20150905_184126_resized.jpg

Good lord, dude, do you ever clean your oven? /chef mode off

That setup looks great. If you could get ahold of more, I'm absolutely positive a lot of people here would be interested in buying some for their own personal stuff. I know I'd be interested.

You hush up, my oven isnt THAT dirty hahaha. Ok, ok, it's not the prettiest but whatever.
Yes, i will put some mileage on my car and report back. I followed the instructions to a T. This isn't powdercoating btw, i think the only way you can botch it is if you suck at prepping. Everything you see is brand new so i didn't have to blast it, just very liberal with the acetone and super careful not to get a smidge of grease or sweat/anything on it. I did blast my external gates though. Adhesion seems excellent.

Type1: Yea, just ask around and see if a shop wants to be nice. You're gonna have to find a dealer for techline coatings. Btw, almost any place you go to for coating is using their stuff, found that out.
Hard part? Getting a shop to order you a 8oz can. That's a VERY small order. I paid 70 bucks for it after tax and the guy said this was probably the only time he could get such a small order.

Hey, if you got a gallon you'd have enough for about 100 FP manifolds..... could surely make your money back if you wanted to get into it.

If i switch to t3 i will have enough to coat the mani, another turbine housing and good section of down pipe. Still have some left over. Stuff really goes a long way.

Yet another slight set back. Finally got the engine up to Jorden this morning so he was able to put the sinisterspeed 8" weighted torque converter in for the first time. Yea, the height of the converter is off. Possibly faulty weld. Idk. Bad luck with several orders now. It doesn't matter if you spend 5,000 or 50,000, you're gonna run into snags consistently with dsm parts and specialty service.
Mike@ sinister got RIGHT back to me and we started going down the checklist. I don't believe my builder madea mistake as everything else works perfectly, and nope, not the kiggly plate bolts causing problems.
Everything is new basically. Set back yet another few weeks i guess. Idk.
I have full faith that mike will do the right thing and repair the mistake. He will probably need a new core to do so but hell, maybe it can be cut/welded again. I know so very little about auto trannys.

That's where we stand!

I know how that feels, man. Got my motor all assembled, buttoned up, began bolting the oil pan up only to find out..oops! It's an Evo block. Wasted hundreds in gaskets and stuff. Lol, now I gotta wait to pay for the right block.

Best we can do is pick ourselves up and keep going. It'll be worth it when it's finally together!

It lives..................... pics to come. It's a motherF'ing BEAST!!!!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back