The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

'95 Evo III - Going a little extreme

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Not really the cover of Import Tuner, but I got my pale self in the pages of the regional Goo magazine (equivalent to Auto Trader). Always good to get recognized by the locals. Unfortunately no performance updates until my replacement v-band comes in, but when it does I might be shooting for 1.7-1.8bar.
863f7b86.jpg

1ea68103.jpg

I've always been a lurker/reader with this build, but had to ask.......

In the magazine picture above (which is awesome), why are some things in English and other things in characters? I see that a lot in photos of places and things in Asia and I've always wondered.

Fantastic build though! And please don't take this the wrong way, but I see some of the headaches you've been dealing with and it helps make my headaches look minor LOL Keep up the great work!

I think in Japan the use of English characters is used for impact when it's words that people will probably know. They also do this for some Japanese words as they have 2 ways of writing the alphabet.

And yeah, the car does seem to be cursed somewhat! Although I make a lot of the bad luck by myself.

Thanks. Fitting that turbo in isn't easy in an early Evo engine bay - there's a lo less room to play with compared to the DSMs.

Well I have 2 working windows again, which is quite exciting. Replaced the driver's side regulator after the cable frayed again and got caught. Was a surprisingly easy and inexpensive fix. Wondering if the rears are just the regulators too or if the motors are bad. If it's the motors, they are pretty expensive to buy new so I'll leave them as they are.

More interestingly, I puled the rear cover off the mission today and reapplied RTV as I think that is where my drivetrain oil leak was coming from. But of course it didn't go without a hitch. I think I may have separated the middle cover from the mission too. Have tightened it back up nice and tight, and am just praying that I haven't just moved the leak from one seal to another. Taking into account my luck, guess where my money is?!

It's filled with oil but am gonna give the RTV 24 hours to cure before I start the car. Then I'll find out if it will:
a) Move again after I've messed with the mission, and
b) Leak from either the original spot, or the seal from middle cover to mission case.

Well, the leak is still there and probably a little worse than before. Really doesn't look like it's coming from that seal now though. But I'm basically out of ideas. Next Friday I'm gonna drive it to my trusted tuning shop and get them to source it and fix it. Am not wanting to drive the car really at the moment as I've no idea how much mission oil I've lost.

Take a look what I found!
1348804035153_zps1405d393.jpg

Yeah, I know it's not a good picture, but if you look closely and squint a little, you can see a small crack in the rear case of the mission cover. That's where the mission oil has been leaking out from. No wonder it was leaking more when I parked it uphill! God knows how much oil has gone or is in there. Gonna try the old JB Weld trick to get it working for now - from what I've read if I prep the area real good it should hold.

I'll try a JB weld replacement for now. Got limited tools right now and don't want to risk separating that sandwich plate that houses 5th gear. The nut on that shaft needs a hell of a lot of torque to secure and I don't have a torque wrench or that much space to get leverage on it.

Should seal with JB if I prep the area well.

Awesome build mate, Couple Questions. I have a simular setup. How much boost have ya managed to chuck into it with that style intercooler? I have a twin entry cooler the same but have been told i may not be able chuck 30/35psi into it as it wont flow enough?

Also can ya give me the name of the coolant additive ya added to help temps stay low,

Cheers man

Awesome build mate, Couple Questions. I have a simular setup. How much boost have ya managed to chuck into it with that style intercooler? I have a twin entry cooler the same but have been told i may not be able chuck 30/35psi into it as it wont flow enough?

Also can ya give me the name of the coolant additive ya added to help temps stay low,

Cheers man

I'm running 1.65 bar of boost at the moment. Ran into some knock and then had multiple issues but am gonna drop timing a degree or 2 and I think I may be able to get it to 1.8bar. After that I'm reaching the limits of pump gas, the vertical flow intercooler (not the flow that's the issue, more the fact that not all of the intercooler gets used as air goes the shortest distance from A-B) and the general high temperatures out here.

I was using Royal Purple coolant additive, which is similar to Water Wetter. Don't think I'm using any now though.

Thanks for the info man, Keep the updates up loving the build very much! :)

very nice build! kudos to you, seems as much of a pain as its dsm cousins.

I'll try a JB weld replacement for now. Got limited tools right now and don't want to risk separating that sandwich plate that houses 5th gear. The nut on that shaft needs a hell of a lot of torque to secure and I don't have a torque wrench or that much space to get leverage on it.

Should seal with JB if I prep the area well.

JB weld would be a waste of time. It doesn't just crack, it's a stress crack for a reason. There's a bearing that seats near that on the other side if that's where I think it is on the transmission.

Car is looking like a good project though. EVO 3 is one of my cars to own before I die. :thumb:

Been offered a set of TE37 rims for a great price. Would look damn nice painted black on mine but wondering if I can justify paying for rims when I have a couple of mechanical issues to sort out. But they look soooo good...
evo3me456.jpg

Just today when I thought my brakes, coolant leak, oil leak and everything else going wrong with my car coming to an end, I came to bleed the last brake caliper and saw this:
2012-11-24111830_zps1b0e5bff.jpg

God knows what it is but it's deep and big. So that's a pair of Star Specs I'm gonna have to get (wanna get fresh both sides) and they're in closeout at the moment so am gonna have to be quick too. Just what I need before Christmas :(

Oh, and putting the last bolt back into my brake bracket at the front I somehow managed to rip the threads out on it. So am gonna have to hope I can retap an M12x1.25 hole into an M12x1.5 one. If not I'm gonna be even more pissed off than usual.

No eclipses really out here, no. And as for the early Evos, they're just like the old Mirage but on steroids.

There's not a whole bunch being done to them to be honest. The drag racing scene is filled with GTRs and the odd stripped S15, and with JDM forged parts being so expensive anyway, a Nissan is a smarter choice. For people with access to a US market, or the knowledge to look abroad for parts, there are lots available. For the early Evos, engine parts can be got from the US, and for other parts you can look to Europe or Australia.

My Christmas present for the car was a set of new shoes, in the form of some TE37 rims and Star Spec rubber. Just waiting for the new original decals to come through and they'll be put on too.
2012-12-25%252017.09.28.png

The car stumbles from one crisis to another, so matches me pretty well. I have a small coolant leak at the moment, but have a hose in the mail that should (fingers crossed) fix that. Then it's just a case of waiting for the next thing to go wrong!

After new wheel bearings at the front, new wheels and tires I decided to get an alignment. Just got home from picking the car up so have the figures here. Now take a look and see if you can spot which of the before figures seems a little strange. You might have to look hard...
alignment_zpsba10e700.gif

or maybe not so hard. God knows what happened with the front right. The guy asked me if it had been in an accident since the last alignment, which it hadn't. I'm guessing something was way off with the wheel bearing or something the last time it was done. All as straight as it's going to be with this car frame though now.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back