The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

1995 Evo III - Something a Little Different

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soldave

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 17, 2008
Okinawa, Japan, Asia
Back in February I bought my 2nd early Evo, a 1995 Evo III with more issues that your average Japanese woman. Picked the car up for $500 and I thought it was just a blown headgasket, but as is often the case, as I got deeper into it I found more and more problems. Took about 4 months of work to get it fired up, on the road and marginally waterproof.

From this:
untitled-4.jpg

To this:
DSC_0073.JPG

DSC_0074.JPG

Once I got it running right I was pleased with it, but I like my boost and drag racing. And I'm also very aware I have a 2nd and 3rd prize trophy from drag racing events here in Okinawa, and really need a 1st to go with it. So I thought maybe I'd upgrade the turbo to something a little bigger. And then my plans got a little crazy and out of control.

So the engine I got hold of was one with about 1000 miles on it and had this spec:
-Mahle pistons
-Scat rods
-Eagle 4340 crank
-fully ported head by Motorworx Engineering
-stainless valves, FP springs and retainers
-removed balance shafts
-FP2 cams
-Fully rebuild

Plus a few other goodies:
Holset HX-40, full twin-scroll, T4 17cm turbine housing
JM Fabrications top-mount manifold
OS Giken twinplate clutch
Treadstone intercooler & custom piping
Custom downpipe
Custom exhaust
VW Scirocco radiator
Walbro 255
Blitz SBC iD boost controller
Integral knock warning setup
ECMLink

And all the trimmings. Before I can even think about putting my foot on the gas in anger though, I've got a big long build ahead of me.

Two half-days of work are done and we're well and truly getting stuck into it. First up was pulling the engine and everything around it so we can start putting new things in. The exhaust was getting changed from my whatever-it's-called (left) to a one-piece setup on the right. Much straighter, less resonators and much better flow/noise.
P1010002.JPG

Next up was getting the old engine up and out. No big problems with that and we got it all disconnected and pulled in a few hours.
P1010003.JPG

P1010007.JPG

P1010008.JPG

Now my car has lost its lope in the past couple of weeks and seemed to be stuttering when I put my foot down sometimes. Think I found 2 possible culprits. First off, the connected going to the cam angle sensor has one pin pretty much broken. Could have been that it wasn't making a consistent connection with the CAS which would definitely throw things out. And then I came across this when I was taking the piping off the intercooler to pull it.
P1010005.JPG

P1010006.JPG

Yes, that is just the intercooler piping rusted off the rubber coupler. There was a tiny bit of the piping still inside the coupler but even before I started yanking it I could feel a big crack/hole going about halfway around. Says something that I was still making just under stock boost level even with that much of a leak.

Next up was a bit of porting work. We wanted to lower the oil pressure a bit as at full boost and higher rpms we were hitting close to 100psi on the engine before, so we set about porting the oil filter housing around the hole next to the oil check valve. This is how it looks normally:
P1010011.JPG

A drill and a couple of carbide bits and the hole was looking a little bigger.
P1010012.JPG

And then after some cleaning up it was ready to be bolted back onto the engine. Should make for much better oil flow and some lower pressures.
P1010025.JPG

I'm also going to be using a bored out throttle body so the intake manifold needed to be ported a little to make a completely smooth transition for the airflow. Again, we started by marking it up.
P1010015.JPG

A bit of porting later and we have this:
P1010023.JPG

P1010024.JPG

P1010018.JPG

That leads us today, where the plot got a hell of a lot thicker. One of the centrepieces of my build came in today, in the forum of a JM Fabrications top-mount manifold. I don't want to go into how much it cost as it will just depress me! I'd rather just look at the pictures as it's a thing of beauty, especially the porting that was done to maximise airflow.
DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

And if you think it looks good like that, you should see it when it's on the engine.
1320381925480.jpg

1320381899203.jpg

So today we test fitted the manifold on the engine, and put my new forged engine (with twinplate OS Giken clutch) into the car. And here's where it got interesting. First off, I'm gonna be using a Holset HX40 with T4 17cm turbine housing as my turbo. Now I'm still waiting for this thing to get to me in the mail, but I'm a little anxious about whether it's going to fit on the manifold. It should, as it's crazy to think a company with the reputation as JM Fabrications would offer a T4 turbo flange without the sizing to fit a full size T4 turbo, but it's gonna be damn close to hitting one of the primary runners on the manifold. And the next concern is one of the wastegates, namely the one that is emerging just next to the turbo flange. Now again, I'm hoping they made provision for large turbos but it is going to be very close fitting a wastegate with the turbo the size that's going on mine. Not going to know that for sure until my turbo comes in or I can borrow a Holset HX40 from someone to test fit.

DSC_0009.JPG

DSC_0010.JPG

And the next issue is, of course, going to be clearance. I have currently got a VW Scirocco radiator from Spectre which I'm afraid of breathing on too heavily incase it breaks! Putting it in the car though, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to have anything thicker due to size restrictions. My fans are already going to have to be pusher fans at the front (there is space between the manifold and the front of the car at the moment, but bear in mind I have a 3" exhaust downpipe to get down there too somehow, and some crazy mods are going to have to be done to the front end to get it working. Of course, I'm gonna do something I'll regret and pull the a/c from the car to have any chance of it all fitting.

The top of the thermostat housing is going to have to be modified to fit around the turbo of course, and we've been mulling over the idea of going for a straight pipe without a thermostat if needs be. As well as fitting things, cooling is going to be a big issue. I know running without a thermostat will mean I need much longer to get up to operating temperatures, but I'm wondering if without one, it would give me more coolant flow than running with one. Or whether the velocity increase from the slight restriction that a thermostat causes will pretty much negate that. I'm gonna need a wing and a prayer with cooling (and probably a custom aluminium radiator down the line) so every little thing helps. Radiator tricks, some ghetto scoops from below bringing air into the engine bay etc are all probably gonna be used.

A hell of a lot to do, even though we've pulled one engine and got the new one in. Gonna be a pretty impressive project though when it's all said and done, providing it all fits and keeps cool.

Thanks. Hate to sound dramatic but what we're planning is going to be on the boundaries of what is possible in terms of fitment/cooling/setup etc. Should make for a very interesting build, and a pretty scary one once it's done!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back