The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

90 model dead tach.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

obsidian

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 25, 2007
New Orleans, Louisiana
I've searched multiple times and have read about the little noise filter. However I read that someone just jumped the wires and the tach worked.

So, is the noise filter required?

I also read that there was an attachment/sensor on the stock 90 TB that is required to make the tach work. Is there truth to this?

Most of the threads I found were dead and hadn't been updated with a fix so I'm asking here.

Thanks for looking.

------------------------------UPDATE [FIX]------------------------------

So today Sep 19th, 2011, I have found what I've needed to know for many many days. And this is VERY good news for the 90 guys.

This fix is so simple that it's mind boggling.

Ways to fix it WITHOUT A NOISE FILTER.

Items needed:

3-4 inches of 18-22 gauge wire.
Two MALE quick slide 22-18 gauge electrical connectors.

Now, to do this, you'll need a pair of wire strippers (or use your teeth, your choice) and wire crimpers.

1. Assemble everything you'll need. Ensure you know where the noise filter harness is in the car.
2. Take your wire and strip off about 1/2" on both sides.
3. Take the two connections and REMOVE THE OUTER CASE. I took a pair of pliers and yanked on the male side and locked the plastic part into a vice. A pair of pliers should also work. Take care to not crimp down on the wire crimp part yet.
4. Attach the two naked connections to the wire.
5. Bend the wire as shown in the picture below.
6. Slide wire into the noise filter harness plug.
7. Make sure it's tight, if not then secure it to the plug somehow.
8. Start the car and make sure the tach works.

It took me about 10 minutes to do this, but I have a good mechanical knowledge and background. Even a complete idiot should have this done in no more than an hour.

Notes:
1. The stock noise filters resistance measure 2.3 kilo ohms.
2. The wire resistance measured .2 kilo ohms.
3. I did not need to ground the wire for this to work.
4. I did not go on an extensive test drive to test this out, but the tach DID function throughout the entire RPM range.

If any questions, give me a buzz on here. Good luck DSMers!

MODS: can you please reflect the title to show resolved or say "Fix included" Thanks! It wouldn't let me do it myself.

Pictures.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Items needed. I used house wire as it's very sturdy and fit just right. You'll see the parts to the left and assembled to the right.

My noise filter and area of the plug. Right behind the intake manifold. If your noise filter is still attached then it's only a 10mm bolt holding it on.

Fix bent to fit into the connection nice and snug.

Fix installed and working.

Now if you are wanting to be SUPER right about this, then install a 2.3 kilo ohm resistor on the line and see if that works. I didn't need to.

-Brando

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done both the wire jumper and the wire with a 2.3k 1/2 watt resistor with mixed results. They both made the tach work but I never knew or thought they were spot on accurate. I put a used noise filter on and it seems real close to beingo the money . Just my experience and every car seems different. We had two 90 models at one time and one it worked well while the other one was particular.

I have a 90 talon with a 92 ECM link ecu 92 coil pack and transistor (previously installed) I still have the 90 cas and cluster. What can I do to get my tach to work? I have no noise filter or bracket on back of my intake manifold. I found a clip coming out of the wire harness that seems to possibly be where the noise filter plugged in so I jumped it and still no tach.

I also found a mystery lone white wire running from my ecu to over by the power transistor. It was ran previously and it's currently unplugged.

Thanks for all the info so far!

I have a 90 talon with a 92 ECM link ecu 92 coil pack and transistor (previously installed) I still have the 90 cas and cluster. What can I do to get my tach to work? I have no noise filter or bracket on back of my intake manifold. I found a clip coming out of the wire harness that seems to possibly be where the noise filter plugged in so I jumped it and still no tach.

I also found a mystery lone white wire running from my ecu to over by the power transistor. It was ran previously and it's currently unplugged.

Thanks for all the info so far!
You should post your own thread asking this question and you will get alot more good info. This posting started in 2011.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back