The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Dead tach. Replacement gauge?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1LE

20+ Year Contributor
Aug 1, 2002
Sylvania, Ohio
'95 GSX. It appears that my tach gauge is burned out. Can that be replaced separately from the rest of the gauges, or do I have to replace the whole "pod"? Unfortunately, my factory manuals seem to be pretty weak in this area. :(

Thanks!

you should verify the source before assuming its the guage.

your manual should descript the tach signal, and that system

I did some testing already and the source is fine, the wiring up to the ECU is fine.

I had an automotive electrical specialty shop repair a bad ground strap to the starter and fix a damaged positive battery clamp. While they were doing that, I had them look into the tach issue as well. They verified impulses making it to the back of the gauge (or as close to the back of the gauge as he could reach up behind the dash without disassembly :)

The gauge died when my power transistor clip broke and the plug started working loose. The car started misfiring, the tach dropped by half, the misfire suddenly went away and the tach dropped to 0 and hasn't worked since. I think that the shorting of the power transistor plug caused something "not nice" to happen to the tach. At least it didn't happen to my ECU!

The manual covers the source and wiring for the tach signal. It also covers disassembly of the dash and removing the gauge pod. It doesn't give any useful information on the tach gauge itself (as far as testing/replacement). Oddly enough, it DOES give info on the air, fuel, and coolant gauges! Sigh. They always seem to document the stuff I don't care about and leave out the stuff I *do* care about.

mabye try a known good Power Transister.

if yours was acting wierd.

otherwise i dont know of any way to single out the tach guage.
just pickup a lowermile cluster off ebay, LOL.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back