The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

'89 Colt GT - 300+ HP & 30+ mpg commuter

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Billet 20G/SL2 is here, now I just need to figure out where to mount the wastegate actuator. Which is already proving to be a PITA. I have to drill out the spot weld on the actuator arm and reposition it about 45 degrees and make a bracket to hold the actuator.

IMG_1443_zpsb14a1a39.jpg

IMG_1445_zpsd1a9cac4.jpg

Last edited:
Like the build. Love to see different things.

IMG_6369.jpg

Also noticed the jack you are using. I have been looking at some but only seen bad things about them, but sounded like idiots using them. Have you had any problems with it.

I'm on my third harbor freight jack, they are cheap and they offer a lifetime warranty so I like that.

So you're going internal gate 20g now? I'm confused:confused:

Yep, internally gated 7cm housing. If the car was AWD and I wasn't driving it 400+ miles a week I might regret this decision but even on 15 psi the car was almost undriveable with the 3071.

I've been chasing a fuel delivery problem for a few weeks but I have been driving it with the 20G installed. Kinda frustrating driving it at what is probably less than full potential. I am thinking the pump is dying because fuel pressure just falls as boost comes up.

Last night was a good time though. We had Skrape's Nova Wagon at the shop for a shock/spring change and an alignment. Gimmie11's (Dominic) stopped by as well to go for a ride in the wagon. We seized an opportunity for a photo.

100_6643_zps2a0b6edf.jpg

Here's more info on the wagon for anyone who is interested. "Tapout" '66 Nova Wagon - Nova Tech

Technically it was "street racing" so I can't post the videos here anyway. Once I put them on the stereo here at work I could actually hear throttle application. You go out of frame about halfway through 4th gear on the first video. The other one where you're over a couple lanes is definitely a little clearer but that was the one where you missed 4th gear.

Fuel problem is solved. New Walbro 340 pump is installed and hardwired.

I also moved the battery back under the hood. I had to reroute the upper intercooler pipe but the existing battery fits. I still have to make a hold down for it though.

Next on the to do list is wheels and tires.

Last edited:
I want to see videos!! Upload them to youtube and say Mexico or put them on 4g61t :p:thumb:

Good idea on the 4G61..........Posting now :sneaky:

I've got to pick up our shop Camaro (the one pictured earlier) from Magnaflow today so I am going to have Gimmie11's (Dominic) drive my car and try and get some footage on the way back.

It's been a few weeks since an update. Long story short I spun a rod bearing in the Colt. After searching for a short or longblock for weeks I finally gave up and just picked up a complete running car for about the same price as some of the engines have been selling for.

'90 Eagle Talon FWD - It is in really nice shape mechanically and has a pretty stellar mods list. Body is in good shape but the paint is pretty badly faded.

Mods that I can confirm visually.
16G
FIC Injectors (not sure of the size)
DSMLINK V3 Lite
3" exhaust with 3" cat (unknown brand)
FMIC with 3.5" core (short route piping)
2G MAF/Dejon Tool intake pipe
Unknown boost controller
It definitely has an aftermarket clutch in it just based on feel
Fuel pump has been hardwired
AEM A/F gauge (wired into Link)
Autometer boost gauge
Blitz turbo timer
short shifter (unknown brand)
Slimline fan for the A/C
Drilled/Slotted rotors

IMAG0207_zpscaf8c937.jpg

This car drives so damn nice and with the taller tires it isn't spinning 4K rpm at 75 mph like the Colt. I am half tempted to swap the 20G and 272's from the Colt over to the Talon and just keep it instead. Although, the thought of having Link on the Colt sounds real nice too. I am also half tempted to swap the 5 lug over the Colt if I end up keeping it.

I decided to keep the Colt so I started swapping the engine, ECU, and brakes over the weekend.

IMG_2052_zps519eac48.jpg

Spun bearing engine is out
IMG_2051_zps71d92585.jpg

IMG_2050_zps82afd858.jpg

5 lug and big 2 piston calipers going in
IMG_2048_zps8513993b.jpg

I gave up on the 5 lug conversion. The front went pretty well until it came time to retaper the tie rod end hole on the hub. I have a tie rod end reamer here at work that I used. I had my doubts that it would work and those doubts were confirmed after I started reaming it. The reamer was not able to penetrate all the way down the hole without making the hole too big for the tie rod end. I wasn't about to only ream halfway down the hole and leave half the shank unsupported.

Last night though, I started fiddling with the rear brakes after reading around that others have redrilled the rear hubs. I had to see for myself so I tore apart one side of both the Colt and the Talon. The face of the hub just doesn't have enough meat to redrill them safely so I just put the car back to 4 lug. Like others have mentioned the Talon hub is too large to work on the Colt.

I drove it to work this morning and did a few logs in Link. It is running a bit lean (high 11's low 12's) around 5K rpm so it is pulling timing. In spite of this the car feels strong. I will spend some time fine tuning over the next week and I then get it on the dyno.

Well, I am still fine tuning with Link. Part throttle is still a little lean but WOT is pretty much spot on while idle is still all over the place depending on ambient temps. When it's warm out (90+) it will idle fine but in the morning on my way to work when it's in the 70's & 80's not so much. I've been reading as much as I can the ECM Tuning forums and I am starting to get a good handle on all the controls.

I also spent the week brainstorming this whole 5 lug issue. I just bit the bullet and ordered the '92 Sedan rear hubs and a Mustang II bump steer bolt kit from AFCO. We have a reamer at work specifically designed for the Mustang II Tie Rod taper so I feel a lot better about going this route. I just needed to get a couple 5/8" rod ends (also from work) and then I threaded a sleeve to couple the rod end(5/8 LH) to the inner tie rod(14mm x 1.5). So basically I ended up with a complete bump steer kit just to fix the tie rod taper issue I was having.

100_6711_zps493205be.jpg

Unfortunately, I solved one problem but created another. The new tie rod set-up is longer overall than the OEM tie rod end. So now I will have to cut the inner tie rod to get proper toe.
100_6710_zps0e466801.jpg

I have some 16x7 +40 MB wheels from the last car I had that have been collecting dust for 2 years. I can't handle chrome so I just threw some Matte black on them.

100_6712_zpsc9e3ba85.jpg

I am almost finished with the 5 lug swap up front. All I need is a tap that matches the inner tie rod threads. It is not 12mm x 1.25 as previously thought. As soon as I figure it out I can make my adapters. I also need to notch the struts a little bit more to get proper camber.

The rear will have to wait til next week.

100_6726_zps79fa4a5d.jpg

I've been wanting to put the 2G airbox back on the car because the intake air temps have been crazy high with the open filter. So I took a little time today and made it happen.

I had already made the mounts for the box a while back.
100_6718_zps708f4afb.jpg

The previous owner had already cut this rectangle opening I just modified it a little bit to fit a 4" round tube.
100_6721_zpsc364c93b.jpg

I used a 3.5" hose to make the template. (better to start with the hole too small and slowly work it to the proper size)
100_6719_zpsf3e09153.jpg

I had some 4" pipe sitting around to cut up.
100_6720_zps17503e33.jpg

Here it is riveted in place. Eventually I will weld it into place and fill in the holes.
100_6722_zpscdd8faa4.jpg

I also had a 4" 90 degree left over from another project. I just turned it forward away from the tire. In the future I could make a ram air with a funnel mounted in the blinker hole.
100_6723_zpsef6cdd9d.jpg

Bottom view
100_6724_zps9dcaa45a.jpg

Top view, looking through the now modified air box.
100_6725_zps6da8b06b.jpg

The fuse box had to be moved and I still need to make a proper battery tray but I managed to cram 10 lbs of ish in a 5 lb bag.
100_6727_zps548abd7a.jpg

I made a little pit stop by my buddy's shop on Friday as they prepared a couple 900+ HP Challengers to run the Mojave Mile. The owner of one of the Challengers also has a C6 Z06 so after a little taunting from the guys in the shop we went out and made a couple runs. I have been overly curious as to how my car would fair against a car known to trap 120+ in the 1/4. I gotta say that I was a little disappointed in the outcome.

I put the video up on 4G61 via Youtube

Been a while since an update. The car was parked for a year or so while I drove my new to me IS300/2JZGTE. However, I pulled the Lexus apart for some updates so the Colt got moved back to daily status. This car is just so damn much fun to drive. I went to set up our booth at this past weekend's NMCA event at Fontana on Friday. As I was leaving I stopped by the Autocross to hang out with my friends from Racing Byrds (they run the Autocross for Hotchkis). The course was all set up already so I made a few laps. Had a blast with the car being so tail happy with bald tires out back.

IMG_3876_zpsbxohjiod.jpg

HAHA, look at that terrible camber curve

IMG_3919_zpsir8bu1fp.jpg

Saturday night was the local DSM meet.

IMG_4161_zpso5i8eeab.jpg

IMG_4175_zpswmsm2ms2.jpg

It's been forever since an update but a week or two after my last post I killed the engine. The cars been collecting dust as I've been working on the house. Well, to my surprise I open the shop this weekend and find one of the cupboards came off the wall and fell onto the rear fender. I am honestly glad it was the Colt and not the IS but it still sucks. Especially when you find 1/4" thick bondo from a poorly fixed previous incident. I usually take these moments and turn them around into a positive so I am very seriously thinking about installing fender flares. Now that I have a proper daily I think this car is going to get a bit of a race status transformation.

20160102_173348_zps1cht2vwq.jpg

6 years later...
I am now the owner of this gem it had parts harvested, previous owner before eventually ending up in my possession, but not to worry i plan to restore it and share info and stuff here or if it is against forum rules ill make my own build thread for the car.

20211218_173856.jpg

20211224_132203.jpg

20211224_132236.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back