The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

420A 420a ignition coil

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christopher Meade

Probationary Member
Nov 8, 2018
Lexington, Kentucky
So I have a 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse rs 420a 2.0L naturally aspirated. I need to replace my ignition coil. But all of the ignition coils for that year have flat blade terminals and the ones in my car are round pin terminals like in the 95-96 models. Why are mine round pin terminals when they’re suppose to be flat blade terminals? I looked at the connector and it doesn’t look like anyone has changed it out or anything so I’m confused.

What makes you think you need to replace it?

Because I know it’s bad. I just want to know why my terminals are round pin terminals and they’re suppose to be flat blade terminals. Any aftermarket oem ignition coil for a 1998 have flat blade terminals. So why does my ignition coil have round pin terminals?

Because I know it’s bad. I just want to know why my terminals are round pin terminals and they’re suppose to be flat blade terminals. Any aftermarket oem ignition coil for a 1998 have flat blade terminals. So why does my ignition coil have round pin terminals?

I have a 1998. Give me 5 minutes an I'll tell you whether mine are flat or round.

Which part exactly are you referring to when you say "terminals"

Last edited by a moderator:
Which part exactly are you referring to when you say "terminals"

The terminals on the ignition coil where you plug the connector into the coil. My terminals on my 98 are round. But all the aftermarket oem ignition coils have flat blade terminals.

The terminals on the ignition coil where you plug the connector into the coil. My terminals on my 98 are round. But all the aftermarket oem ignition coils have flat blade terminals.
Mine are round too. Also I just found a bunch that also have round ones. I'm not sure why you can't find the right part, and also not sure why you think it's bad.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-1997-1...CC+122Cu.+In.+l4+GAS+DOHC+Naturally+Aspirated
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MSD-8239-M...CC+122Cu.+In.+l4+GAS+DOHC+Naturally+Aspirated

I’m not talking about where the spark plug boots connect to the coil pack. I’m talking about where the wiring harness connector plugs into the coil pack. The terminals in my coil pack are round. I’ve looked at autozone, advanced auto, oreilly’s, and numerous online stores. And every coil pack for a 1998 have flat blade terminals.

Mine look like this. But every aftermarket ignition coil I have found for a 98 have flat blade terminals. This is a picture of a 96 model ignition coil. The 98 models have flat blade terminals. But mine are round like in this picture where I circled in red.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Mine look like this. But every aftermarket ignition coil I have found for a 98 have flat blade terminals. This is a picture of a 96 model ignition coil. The 98 models have flat blade terminals. But mine are round like in this picture where I circled in red.
My guess is that somebody put an earlier connector on. You should be able to trace the wire down and see where the spliced it on. In that case, just got with the 95-96 one. Simple.

My guess is that somebody put an earlier connector on. You should be able to trace the wire down and see where the spliced it on. In that case, just got with the 95-96 one. Simple.

That’s my point exactly though. I have traced the wire and see NO trace of where anyone has spliced the wire whatsoever. That’s why I’m so confused.

Have you searched your VIN? There is a slight chance you could have a 95-96 with a 2gb conversion. I highly doubt it but since you are "sure"...

yes I have ran my vin before and it is a 98. This is the first and only issue I have come across when searching for parts. That’s why I’m so confused.

So I have a 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse rs 420a 2.0L naturally aspirated. I need to replace my ignition coil. But all of the ignition coils for that year have flat blade terminals and the ones in my car are round pin terminals like in the 95-96 models. Why are mine round pin terminals when they’re suppose to be flat blade terminals? I looked at the connector and it doesn’t look like anyone has changed it out or anything so I’m confused.
Sorry to bring this back but does the after market flat pin ignition coil fit in the stock wiring that plugs into the ignition coil?

all of the replacement coil packs have flat pins. after they switched to flat pins all the replacements require the connector on the harness of 95-96 cars be cut off and replaced with a new one that accepts the flat pins. Alot of the replacement coils packs come with the connector.

Ethenp23

you will need to unplug yours and check to see what pins yours have. Its possible that the coil pack has already been replaced at some point and is already wired with the correct connector for flat pins.

Last edited:
I have a 1995 Eagle Talon 420A and also replaced my stock coil. The stock coil had round connectors, the replacement coil has blade connectors (see photos). I believe they changed mid-production run at some point and this is true for various connectors such as the Crank and Cam Position sensors. It was no problem installing this, Rock Auto sells the Ignition Coil Connector, Auto Parts Stores sell other supplies that might be needed. I chose to solder each splice connection and protect each of the three wires with with shrink wrap, electrical tape, and a single protective plastic conduit to protect all three wires. I suppose the wires could be spliced with crimp connectors but I chose a positive connection using solder with each splice staggered in a different location along the wire pigtail. I have had no problems. I hope this helps.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back