The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

420A 2gNT How to delete power steering pump properly?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

langelg6

Proven Member
Nov 4, 2019
Hammond, Indiana
hello ive owned a 95 eagle talon FWD N/T for the last 4 months and for the entire ownership of the car my power steering belt has been off, I consider myself to be a pretty strong guy so I have been dailying my car with no power steering since ive bought it... Now I want to remove the pump and any unnecessary items, my main goal is to reduce weight (I know its not much but 20-40lbs off the nose of the car would be a difference) I understand I can't let the PS get dry and don't have the funds to switch to a manual rack... so my question is how do I go about tying up the lines (can I use zipties at the lines of the end of the rack ?? or do I have to kink it) and what else besides the pump would be unnessacery to remove to reduce weight

like I said I HAVE NEVER HAD PS IN MY ENTIRE OWNERSHIP OF THE CAR.. so it does not bother me not having it, to me its just 1 less thing to go wrong and at higher speeds (120mph+) the car feels so much more stable and better to handle then other cars with PS at that speed. to me its because the extra heaviness on the wheel.... being in the midwest our highways are filled with potholes and imperfections that when driving at higher speeds and hitting these holes tends to make the steering wheel go in misintended directions

Last edited:
First off, dont be driving an antique car 120mph or anywhere close to that on public highways, these cars are old and are known for ball joint failures among other things that can and will get you killed and in the process kill other people, if that car has spent even some of its life in the midwest with as you say pothole filled roads and salt in the winter I can only imagine how bad the suspension is rotted all to he11 by now, on a good day, how would you feel if you killed a family because you lost control of your car at 100mph? that stuff has no place on public roads or on anything other than a drag strip period. Looping the lines with the proper fitting is how most people delete the power steering.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back