The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Power Steering Pump leak

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herblove

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 28, 2002
Danville, Virginia
I have the common power steering leak at the top of the pump. My question is did a crush washer also come with the pump. I brought a new pump and lost the original bolt and cant remember if it had crush washers on it. Anyway the new one still leaked and it come with the o-ring install on it. Does anybody know if crush washers are suppose to be on it too

Yes I read that post. I notice that it didnt include crush washers either. I dont know what wrong I got a new pump and it still leaks WTF. Just got a new alternator because the leak killed my other one. I must fix this...

Are you sure you have all of the o-rings installed? There is a lock washer that goes under the nut on top of the PS pump, but I don't know if that would actually cause the leak.

Yes. I check it when I got the the new one. I will just order a o-ring kit and reinstall them. I knew it a washer on it. Does anyone know the correct bolt and washer that suppose to be on there.

What kind of Orings can you use for this? Guy at autozone said that regular O rings aren't good fro power steering, he said he could match some up out of an AC system though. I dont want to buy the whole seal kit.

Money is tight at the moment, quick fix til I can properly repair

The entire rebuild kit is only $30 retail from a dealer, or $19 wholesale (club price) from a dealer. And that gives you all new o-rings, front seal, shaft clip ring, etc. You can't afford $30 or less for a completely rebuilt PS pump (with the proper o-rings) that will last several years?

No disrespect intended; I totally understand the tight money thing. But by the time you get done screwing around with trying to find hardware store o-rings that fit properly and last more than a few months, you could just completely rebuild the pump and not ever worry about it again. ;)

Any BUNA N70 (nitrile, 70 durometer) oring of the appropriate sizes will work for this, Ive done it a million times. I dont know if the parts store orings are nitrile, but they should be, just ask first...
And I rebuilt my pump using your guide, Calan, thanks a million for putting that up!

The problem is that you never know for sure what you are getting when you grab an o-ring from a bin at a hardware store or from a parts store. Even if it is verified as BUNA-N (nitrile) material, the durometer could be anything... not to mention the truly correct sizes in the PS pump are a bit weird.

And the parts store people around here wouldn't know a BUNA o-ring from a Flintstones vitamin. :)

None taken, I'm getting a lump sum in the next month or so (army severance pay) and I'll be ordering a rebuild kit. I'd rather not drive around with a leaking PS and risk it ruining my alternator. A couple bucks for a quick fix now, or replace an alternator later.

I'd like to just do the correct repair first but that isn't possible at the current time with my upcoming move next week.

I took a couple of injector orings and rolled them over the bolt down to the top of the hose fitting, WITHOUT taking the hose off in an on road quick fix and replaced the washer and nut. it lasted two weeks till i could get my proper oring in.
NOTE: this was a temporary fix, and don't recommend it as a perm fix. I checked it daily to make sure it wasn't leaking and only drove it to work and back.
Also make sure the bracket is engaged with the high pressure hose fitting(the one on top with the nut on it) because, that hose wants to move when you turn the steering wheel. That movement might loosen the nut and cause big problems, oil squirting onto the ex mani and ignighting.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back