The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2G 2GA Trans in a 2GB

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulb1320

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 9, 2011
Calgary, AB_Canada
I am replacing the trans in my 97 Talon 5spd TSI with a trans from a 95 5spd AWD, I am also changing the T Case with the 95 one. Is there anything else I need to do to make it fit?

I read that some people have issues with the jack shaft on the drivers side not lining up while others say everything fits proper. I am just looking for clarification.

Thanks in advance.

Are you sure? I run an auto wrecking yard and my interchange software says the only criteria that would effect the rear end is whether or not it is locking, the year should make no difference.
Though the system has been wrong before.

Cool thanks for the info.
I just wished I asked earlier before I bought the T-Case

Actually you have to match the tranny with the t-case, i'll say wait for twiks69 he makes racing transmissions and he is the one that told us that on a post that i cant find. If i remember correctly there is one more teeth on the tranny that have to be matched with the t-case or the front wheels would be 2mph difference from the rear ones and burn your viscous rear end.

Be careful with the misleading information of this thread, i couldn't use my 95 t-case with my 98 tranny.

Edit: Found it here is a link you should check out.

2G a/b AWD drivetrain differences - Page 2 - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

Actually you have to match the tranny with the t-case, i'll say wait for twiks69 he makes racing transmissions and he is the one that told us that on a post that i cant find. If i remember correctly there is one more teeth on the tranny that have to be matched with the t-case or the front wheels would be 2mph difference from the rear ones and burn your viscous rear end.

Be careful with the misleading information of this thread, i couldn't use my 95 t-case with my 98 tranny.

Edit: Found it here is a link you should check out.

2G a/b AWD drivetrain differences - Page 2 - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

Thats what I read before, also I saw this video by jacks transmission.
‪2G DSM Transmission Differences‬‏ - YouTube

Well I got the car all buttoned up and it works perfectly.

Thanks for all the replies

**BUMP**

I'm putting a 2GA trans and transfer case in my 2GB Talon this weekend. Do I need to swap the Intermediate Shaft from the 2ga as well?

Tagging @twicks69 he should know :D
The only thing you should really need to make sure of, is the intermediate shaft bracket that bolts to the A/C bracket. If you don't use the one that fits right, you'll have 1 bolt holding the bracket up for that shaft.

**BUMP**

I'm putting a 2GA trans and transfer case in my 2GB Talon this weekend. Do I need to swap the Intermediate Shaft from the 2ga as well?

Tagging @twicks69 he should know :D
No. Use what you have. I have a 2ga trans although I used a 2gb transfer case. I swapped in the 2gb final drive in the trans so essentially internally I have a 2gb trans. The intermediate doesn't bolt to the trans. Axle into the trans itself is the same 2ga or 2gb. Or 1g for that matter.

What speed sensor do I use? The 2GA and 2GB sensors are different.
https://www.rtmracing.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17931

MD756606 (1st choice in drop-down) fits:
  • 1995-96 AWD (M/T & A/T)
  • 1995-99 FWD (M/T & A/T)
MD749149 (2nd choice in drop-down) fits:
  • 1997-99 AWD with M/T
MD760149 (3rd choice in drop-down) fits:
  • 1997-99 AWD with A/T

The speed sensor is based on the transmission gear you are using.

If you are using a 2ga transmission, you should be using a 2ga speed sensor, if you use a 2gbtrany then a 2gb speed sensor should be use.

The speed sensor should match the transmission gear and not the car.

The speed sensor is based on the transmission gear you are using.

If you are using a 2ga transmission, you should be using a 2ga speed sensor, if you use a 2gbtrany then a 2gb speed sensor should be use.

The speed sensor should match the transmission gear and not the car.
Thanks!!!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back