The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

evo3 trans in a dsm?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbo addict

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 17, 2005
Omaha, Nebraska
What has to be done to make this happen? also what problems should I look for as the final drive is different on the evo 3 and the person that I bought it from had it in a dsm for 6 to 8 months in his daily driver and did not change anything.
thanks

Well, the front diff ring gear is different, and the output shaft pinion gear is different, and the speed sensor is different.

Essentially, you should expect a destroyed center differential or burnt out viscous coupler from someone driving this transmission with a DSM transfer case and rear end, as it would cause severe binding from the different ratios.

This transmission will likely require a rebuild considering the circumstances before it can be used on a DSM with the proper gear ratio change to make it usable.

To install it in a DSM, you would need to use a 58-tooth front differential ring gear and matching pinion gear and speed sensor for 1991-1996 DSM's, and a 57-tooth front differential ring gear and matching pinion gear for 1997-99 transfer case applications (all the DSM AWD pinion gears were the same from late 91-1999; the front diff ring gear was different for 1991-1996 vs. 1997-1999 along with the gear ratio change in the transfer cases for the years mentioned, as well as the speed sensor is different for early vs. late 2G's).

Any other questions?

There are definitely things I still need to learn, but I do keep up on transmission stuff pretty regularly.

I am now getting into automatic W4A33 transmissions also, since this is a new game for me. Reading up the rebuilding manuals currently.

This is going into a 2gb 1997talon, so I could take the parts out of my 2gb tranny (front diff with the ring gear and the pinion gear, and ve and speed sensor) then just use the 2gb transfer-case? Is the correct?

Also to make it more complicated are all of the speedo gears the same? I have a quaife that I would like to use in this set up and think that it already has a speedo gear. (got it used off of nabr)

thank you for all of your help. It is much appreciated.

Well, the front diff ring gear is different, and the output shaft pinion gear is different, and the speed sensor is different.

Essentially, you should expect a destroyed center differential or burnt out viscous coupler from someone driving this transmission with a DSM transfer case and rear end, as it would cause severe binding from the different ratios.

This transmission will likely require a rebuild considering the circumstances before it can be used on a DSM with the proper gear ratio change to make it usable.

To install it in a DSM, you would need to use a 58-tooth front differential ring gear and matching pinion gear and speed sensor for 1991-1996 DSM's, and a 57-tooth front differential ring gear and matching pinion gear for 1997-99 transfer case applications (all the DSM AWD pinion gears were the same from late 91-1999; the front diff ring gear was different for 1991-1996 vs. 1997-1999 along with the gear ratio change in the transfer cases for the years mentioned, as well as the speed sensor is different for early vs. late 2G's).

Any other questions?

Yes, after swapping in your 57-tooth front diff ring gear and matching pinion gear on the output shaft, and your 2Gb speed sensor, you can use the Quaife front differential if it is the model for 1990-1999 AWD transmissions.

Yes, after swapping in your 57-tooth front diff ring gear and matching pinion gear on the output shaft, and your 2Gb speed sensor, you can use the Quaife front differential if it is the model for 1990-1999 AWD transmissions.

great thanks, I havent messed with a awd much, just a couple fwds.

If you are going to do it yourself, get a service manual as it will make your life alot easier.

If you are going to do it yourself, get a service manual as it will make your life alot easier.

OK, we pulled the tranny apart and nothing looked messed up, the front diff had a 63tooth count & pinion was 15 does that sound like an evo3 (friend counted but should be close)?

So I am going to swap in my 2gb stuff .

Also how can you tell if the vc is bad?

thanks again.

Telling if a viscous coupler is bad is sorta a touch thing....You squeeze it to see if there is any deflection of the case due to the viscous fluid being burnt up. If it deflects quite a bit, then it is worth replacing.

As for the ring gear and output pinion gear count, it sounds about right; I will check the tooth count of a spare Evo 3 set that I have in my garage tomorrow.

Telling if a viscous coupler is bad is sorta a touch thing....You squeeze it to see if there is any deflection of the case due to the viscous fluid being burnt up. If it deflects quite a bit, then it is worth replacing.

As for the ring gear and output pinion gear count, it sounds about right; I will check the tooth count of a spare Evo 3 set that I have in my garage tomorrow.

thank you for all of your help, You have restored my faith in these forums. For quite a while most of these places have more inaccurate info and were becomming more and more of just a place to come and argue more than anything else, Thanks;-)

Any other questions?

would it have made any difference if the tcase is also an evo 3? I am sure that it doesnt but I thought I would ask as we took the tranny apart and nothing looked really messed up.
thanks again.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back