The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Shops for EVO3 Trans Conversions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlpacaLps

Probationary Member
Mar 3, 2020
Hamilton, New_Jersey
Hey Everyone,

Long story short, my GSX's transmission had a bearing fail back in 2010 and I'm now looking at a full rebuild of the car. I know 11 years ago, there was a few shops that did DSM rebuilds with EVO gear conversions. I believe Jack's is the only place left but their website suggests they might be getting out of the DSM game due to reduced part availability. Are there any other options out there any more? My power goal is a modest 375HP but I wanted the EVO gearing due to the taller gears. Located in NJ.

Thank you in advance!

Most shops (TMZ, Jack's, TRE) discontinued their staged builds because parts aren't available anymore to build Evo transmissions. You might find some of the parts new still, but you'll struggle to find a new input shaft, 1st gear and 2nd gear, 5th gear, and the 1/2 and 3/4 hub and sliders. You'll have to buy used parts by yourself if you want to pursue this route, and gear clusters are going $1,000+.

Most shops (TMZ, Jack's, TRE) discontinued their staged builds because parts aren't available anymore to build Evo transmissions. You might find some of the parts new still, but you'll struggle to find a new input shaft, 1st gear and 2nd gear, 5th gear, and the 1/2 and 3/4 hub and sliders. You'll have to buy used parts by yourself if you want to pursue this route, and gear clusters are going $1,000+.
Yea that's what I was saying in my post, seems like all the main shops have shut down doing them, but I didn't know if there were any local shops that may do them. Jack's still lists the gears and input shaft but the hub sliders would have to be reused according to their website. Personally I don't have a budget for the transmission, I'll pay for the parts that I want, even if they're more money than 10 years ago. Heck I'm planning to put an EVOIII turbo and that's tripled in price since I first put my build list together 10 years ago.

Call them up and ask...
I just had a rebuild done on a 1990 dsm 5sp by TRE, so they haven’t given up on these. Not sure about your specific project, but not having a budget or time constraint will help you.

Call them up and ask...
I just had a rebuild done on a 1990 dsm 5sp by TRE, so they haven’t given up on these. Not sure about your specific project, but not having a budget or time constraint will help you.
I emailed Jack's already, just waiting for a reply, but I'll try TRE as well. I know they're the two main shops but I think only Jack's does/did the EVOIII conversion.

I sort of stumbled upon TRE when I found someone selling a 1990 5 speed that also happened to be in Michigan. I’ve had some good, long conversations with Jon, the owner, who can talk your ear off about most things dsm. It may be the case the TRE website doesn’t list this build, but I bet he knows exactly what it is, and will do it on request (assuming the parts situation can be figured). I think these folks who specialize in this platform have secret parts sources they keep secret.

You'll be pretty much out of luck finding Evo gears these days. That being said, pretty much any year transmission will handle your power goals.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back