The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2G trans filter in a 1G trans

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBoosted96GST

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 16, 2002
Avondale, Arizona
Okay, so i'm in the process of putting my 1G (w5m33) trans back together and I ordered the 2G Internal screen filter which I have already recieved. So my question is.....how excatly does it go installed to the case? I see the "dowel" spots on the case and the screen fits over them, but how is it held in place? hopefully I was clear, thanks in advance

You are supposed to take a ball peen hammer or a hammer and flat-point-surface tool and peen the dowels over the filter. Be gentle, and take your time.

It is not hard to do.

If you wanted to do it the harder way, you can use a hydraulic press and gently press the dowels flat to hold the filter while having the case supported.

The first way is much easier.

You are supposed to take a ball peen hammer or a hammer and flat-point-surface tool and peen the dowels over the filter. Be gentle, and take your time.

It is not hard to do.

If you wanted to do it the harder way, you can use a hydraulic press and gently press the dowels flat to hold the filter while having the case supported.

The first way is much easier.

Thanks!!!! worked like a charm.......for anyone doing this I recommend using a peice of metal and hammer to punch in the dowels....just be careful not to miss as you could damage/tear the filter and the whole thing would be for nothing.

You are exactly right. I usually use a roll-pin punch and hammer to gently peen them to hold the filter in place on 1G transmissions. On 2G transmissions, they already use the filter dowels, so I use a small 1/4" socket (find the smallest size socket that fits over the dowels that can evenly support the filter) and extension with a hammer to reinstall a new filter.

You do have to be careful as we both said, the filter is very easy to damage if you do it incorrectly.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back