The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Resolved 2G GST Manual Transmission replacement shift cables

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadtrip_69

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 18, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
Any one have a reliable part number/part combination for a replacement shift cable. The original is snapped, and of course Mitsubishi hasn't had one in 10 years and I can't even seem to find any in any junk yards via car-parts.com (even though a couple were listed, called and they were gone) I have determined the broken cable is a 5ft cable with a 3 inch stroke. But only "universal" I can find has threaded ends, instead of eyelets like it needs.

(Also tried to check the classifieds on here but the only one was already sold about a month ago)

Has any one else produced a working replacement via a universal cable? I worry that the length will be just off or the stroke won't provide enough leeway to shift between gears. Also this is the back and forth movement, the left to right cable is still in tact and in good shape.

Most cables that have even one eyelet(and just one eyelet), I have found from B&M only have a 2.5 inch stroke..So concerned thats not enough.

Thanks!

Well in case anyone else has this same issue.. You can get by with these 2 parts...

uxcell PHSB3 Rod End Bearings 3/16-inch Bore Pre-Lubricated Bearings #10-32 Female Thread Right Hand 2pcs - $13 bucks​

TCI 850500 5 Feet Long 3 Inch Stroke Race-Duty Shifter Cable - $60 bucks​

Issues/Modifications -
1. Need to knock off about a half inch on both ends of the cable to shorten it. Over all its about 2 inches longer than stock
2. Press out the "bearings" in the Rod End Bearings. I tried to drill the holes larger...but because of the size and the amount of movement its near impossible.
3. Still ends up being about an inch or so too "long" versus the original but once mounted in the stock mounting locations, it just makes it bend a bit, doesn't seem to be a problem overall
4. Mounting is probably the hardest part - need to purchase or create new hold down/mounting clips as the originals are too wide and the cable even with the 2 nuts on each end just go through. I created a "sandwich affect" with the new clips being on both sides of the original mounting locations with the original clips on the front sides. (relative to looking at them straight on) Once those are in place just tighten everything down till it wont move.
5. Not a huge issue but once the bearings have been pushed out, now they go over the male parts on the car, but there's slop. So I just tightened things up with Electrical tape.

Took about 2 hours to modify and mount and test. Shifts better than it has in my recent memory. Almost too easily as it shifts so easy compared to the bound up and then broken original cable that it feels night and day.

Anyways just figured if anyone else runs into this issue, don't panic there's a fairly inexpensive way to get it fixed.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back