The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G GST: From nothing, To chasing dreams FWD DRAG BUILD!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95DsManiac

Proven Member
Dec 5, 2012
Bay Point, California
Hey guys and gals,

My name is Anthony B. and I finally decided to start this build journal. I must say when I first got the car I had no idea what I was doing and didnt really have a plan at all. I just got out of prison 02-06-2012 prior to getting the car and also got married right before getting it. My wife let me get it LOL and I had no job and only means of income was tatooing here and there when I can find time out of the JC I was going to. I would also like to mention that I never really worked on cars as far as modifying goes and this car has taught me everything I know today. This is my story/build from the day I got it to present day today. It has been an uphill battle since day one and my goals have gone from a little to a lot. I hope you all enjoy this as much as I did living it and dont talk down to some of the mistakes I made when I first got the car. Like I said it has been a speachless journey this car, and it has become part of my everyday life and a part of my family.

08-24-2012 The day I got my First DSM!!!!

The car was purchased on this date for me by my wife and help from her mothers boyfriend. I was searching for months for one and wanted a gsX badly, but couldn't afford the many ones that were for sale around here at the time. I was juiced to go and get it. We had to drive to south San Francisco to get it. The ad was for a 95 GST with 124k on the clock for $2,000. I ended up getting it for $1,800 and I drove it home. Oh and by the way, it is a manual transmission and was BONE stock. I didnt even know how to drive a stick, but I learned by the time I got home LOL. I fell in love with this car on the drive home and was hooked on the boost. I wanted to go faster, but I dont have a job and I just got out of prison a few months prior to this after 44 months in prison its hard to get back on your feet. I do however tattoo and some auto repair stuff on the side and start saving to start modifying the car.

How it looked the day I got it;
image_zps4e9b890b.jpg

09-1-2012 First time I touched the car.

I did the first modification, nothing big, but it was something to me at the time. I purchased an injen intake pipe and slapped it on the day I got it. Honestly speaking now, it felt like it made the car slower, but I left it on because I already purchased it. The same day I went back on the laptop and ordered a ebay cat back exhaust, MBC, and a glowshift boost gauge with narrow band in one.
image_zpsacdbf7f2.jpg

09-06-2012

Me and a friend drive over to his house to install the cat back, mbc, and gauge. I was so excited to have an exhaust at the time and couldnt wait to get it on the car. I would like to point out that when I purchased this car all my friends and brothers had hondas and acuras and I didnt know one bit about working on cars, let alone a turboed car, so bear with me. I wanted the car to be loud like everyone elses. My friends would say my car sounded "bootsie" so I was even more excited to get the cat back on. I had to go and get some tools fro my dad before we went to his house to put it on. We get there and jack the car up and start to get to work.

We could not get the dam bolts loose even after spraying it with a can of PB Blaster. I was pissed and thought, why does stuff like this always happen to me. I drove home and asked my dad for help. Which I hate doing. We get the car up and start working. Long story short, we ended cutting the old one out to get the new one in. The install went pretty good. I jumped in the car with it still on the ramps and started it. I wasnt too pleased with the sound, but I made the best of it. I did notice better response though. I would also like to note that we didnt put the gauge on yet.

Afew weeks later I ordred a 3" downpipe and a high flow cat. I also went purchased everything to do some maintanence on the car. I ended up getting a fel pro timing belt, balance shaft belt, spark plugs, valve cover gasket kit, and stuff for an oil change.
image_zps8b202c58.jpg

09-28-2012

Me and my dad went to install the downpipe and high flow cat. Everything went smoothly getting everything off and all. I slid under the car to put the cat on, then went to install the downpipe. The downpipe was too long and wouldnt line up with the cat. I was starting to worry and thought I orderd the wrong items. I did a quick search and come to find out I ordered a downpipe that deleted the cat altogether. Feeling a little better I went back down stairs to the garage and finished putting it all on. At this time I also put in the boost gauge I purchased when I purchased the cat back. I started the car and liked the new sound of my car. It had a deep toan to it and didnt sound like all my friends hondas, I loved it. I went and took it for a test spin and I felt like the car was faster, like it was breathing better. I also noticed my boost was spiking to 17psi and thought my gauge was messing up, but it wasnt. I did a quick search and it said that may happen after deleting the cat.

10-1-2012 Dissaster happens

I decided to do the maintenance today and got my dad and brother to help me. We started taking everything apart and I was excited to get my hands dirty. I loved to work on my car and especially enjoyed it when it was something new that I havent done before. We were almost to the point to put the belt on when we hit a snag. My brother thought we had to take off the crank sprocke to get to the BS belt. So we sit there for a while to let the Pb blaster sit in because we could not get the darn sprocket off. Well when we were waiting I did more research and found out I didn't have to take it off. My brother and dad not believing me, I just went outside and did it myself. I ended up getting it off and sliding it behind the sprocket and put the new one on. I get them to come back out there and help me get the timing components on. I didn't have the tools to hold the sprocket still to tighten the pulley, so we emphasized. I used two Allen keys and duct taped them to a 3/8 extension. I also tried to use the battery hold down like showed in the v FAQ and the did not work. At the time I didn't know about having to have it at a certain tightness (t belt), and having to be able to stick something back in the tensioner hole after releasing the pin and letting it settle in. We finish everything and it all lines up. I start the car and it didn't want to start. I tried again and it did, but I here a loud noise and the car starts running like crap. Long story short, timing was wrong and I bent some valves.

The next day 10-02-2012 me and my dad went to work and ripped the head out. Took us about 4 hours and thats when we seen all the damage. We a few bent valves, but a couple days later the machine shop called and comfirmed it was 7 valves that were bent and the price just kept going up for this rebuild. I didnt have the money as it was and now I had to buy the valves. It ended up being $380.00 for the machine work and valves. I didnt have that much, so I borrowed the money from my wifes moms boyfriend and hated that I had too. I get a call the next day and now they tell me some springs are out of spec and I couldnt believe stuff just keeps happening. I didnt have any money to get them. I called a shop called FFTech in Hayward CA and they had some used ones lying around. They gave me 4 for free and I went and got them on the spot.

10-5-2012

I finally get the head back and me and my dad put it on the car. I ordered a ebay gasket set a few days prior and that is what we used for the head gasket and all the other gaskets. It was a mizzumo for the ones that are wondering. I also re used the stock head studs which I found out later it was a mistake. We set the timing right and got everything ready to start the car. It starts right up and I was pretty happy. Then ab0ut 1sec later I hear a snap and the car shuts off. My heart sank, what now. It ended up being a spark plug wire getting ripped in half by getting caught in the timing gear. My cousin drove me to autozone to get some new ones, and I barely had enough to get them. Got home and it started right back up. I was pretty excited to hear the car roar again. I was even more excited because the head was rebuilt and I don't know why, but I kind of felt cool about that haha. It felt like the car was a totally different car. I also put on a blitz BOV too.

10-14-2012-10-30-2012

Me and my wife get kicked out of my parents home. We live out of the car for a while and we finally get to sleep in the living room of her moms boyfriends house.
I wanted more for the car but couldn't come up with money for any parts. I had this plan to make it a reliable 12 sec car and it hurt that I couldn't do anything at all that I wanted. My wife was suppose to be getting me dsmlink v2 off some guy on Craigslist for my birthday. Well 10-30 (my birthday) comes and it's time to go and get it. I call the guy and and doesn't pick up. He texted me a few minutes later saying he sold it. We agreed a couple days prior that I was going to get it, but I always trust and believe the wrong people. We ended up going bowling that night with the money instead for my 22nd birthday.
image_zps1db36a19.jpg

image_zpsd9a15e34.jpg

image_zpsee62467b.jpg

11-2-2012

The car kept dying and I didn't really know what to look for. I ended up changing the alternator and the next day it died again. At this time me and my wife had somewhere to live with her grandmother up north about a hour where we were at, but I couldn't get the car to stay running. My wife was at work and I was driving around trying to put everything together so we could make the trip north, the car died about 6 times on the freeway and it took me about 3 hours to make a 30min drive back to her moms house. I didn't know what to do. The car was letting me down yet again. I was almost home about two blocks when it died again, her mom ended up walking to me with a battery jumper box and I drove home with the hood popped and the box connected to the battery. I decided to look around the alternator and see what I could find. I found that the main wire going to the alternator was exposed about two inches. It must have been arcing I thought. Excited I went to work and got the wire heat shrinked and the car was staying on. I called my wife and told her to go ahead and drive up north. I must admit I was excited to drive to the car for a hour.

11-16-2012

After settling in at her grandmothers house I decided it was time to order away and get my car where I wanted it. I will like to note that at this time I thought this was a lot. In a two week time period I ordered the following:

Small 16g mhi
880cc injectors
Dsmlink v3 lite
Dnp exhaust manifold
Walbro 255
Ebay afpr
Aem wideband
Ngk bpr6es
Was told Megan o2 housing, but don't know for sure
Was told at the time it was a greddy cored custom Fmic and piping, no couplers or clamps.
image_zps504aa8fe.jpg

image_zpse5c7b666.jpg

image_zps300e71ef.jpg

image_zpsf226042c.jpg

image_zpsd160939f.jpg

image_zps58178a04.jpg[/URL

POST #2

12-1-2012 Began the "miny build"

I started to tear everything's part to get the things installed that I purchased. It took me a couple days to actually get the manifold, turbo, downpipe, and smic and piping out. Everything was going pretty darn good. The next couple of days I got the rest of the stuff out and had to go and get a dremmel to gut the bumper with. I finally finish that and I go to test fit the Fmic and the dang thing won't fit. I can't get it to bolt anywhere for mounting. I had to drill holes on the support. I then went to test fit the piping that came with it and none of it would line up for me. I tried everything possible to get the pipe installed and it would not fit. Come to find out it was not a greddy custom Fmic and piping. It was a ebay 1g universal Fmic and some piping thrown in to make it a kit. The guy strait ripped me off and I couldn't get him to reply so I chalked up my lost. I found a guy in San Jose that had a greddy 18v with all the piping for $200.00 so I jumped n it and me and my wife drove down there to get it. Took us all day to drive there and back from Santa Rosa. I also decided to get some paint and try to make things look nice.
image_zps941b2e6e.jpg

image_zps175dce3c.jpg

I also decided the s16g wouldn't be enough for me and I found a hahn super 20g on craigslist as well. He wanted $250.00 and I went to meet the guy. On the phone he told me it was a genuine hahn and when I get there the dam thing said turbocharger on it. I told him I was told to stay away from stuff like that and he told me the housing was put on there and the center section was real hahn piece. I ended up buying it like a retard.
image_zps4001f945.jpg

image_zpsbca28937.jpg

image_zps36705656.jpg

12-10-2012

I found a shop around where I live called ZiggyBuilt performance and I decided to check it out. They did it all, but for Hondas. Anyhow, I ended up have them socket my ecu for the dsmlink. I also needed to get my manifold fabbed up for a wastegate since the s20g was an externally gated turbo. He ended up doing that for me and I went home to test fit the turbo. The darn thing would not fit for some reason. It was hitting the block and the water pipe. Frustrated with this and not getting any further after denting the water pipe I gave up this turbo. I ended up ordering a genuine mhi 20g rebuilt recently by jus and it came with a o2 housing. I paid $500.00 for it and I was excited to get it.

12-15-2012

The turbo arrives. I open it up and was excited to see the real deal. No shaft play and it was beautiful. The o2 housing come to find out was a JMFab vband 44mm flanged o2 housing. I was even more excited, but I was in a tight spot. Remember how I just paid to get the manifold fabbed up, well now I have this o2 housing and didn't know what to do. I ended having the shop ZiggyBuilt cut the flange off and weld it shut on the o2 housing. I also purchased it a 38mm wastegate when I was there. He told me it would be enough for me and of course he would because he wanted to sale something. It was a tial look alike. I also grabbed a genuine greddy RS BOV too.
image_zps4183fff4.jpg

This is after I painted it. It looked nice, but I just wanted to paint it.
image_zps79d155a7.jpg

image_zpsfbffff02.jpg

image_zps1f5dd282.jpg

12-16-2012 to 01-10-2013

I ordered some tokico hp struts and springs. And then I got to work to get the car up and running. I had to gut the bumper even more for the greddy Fmic. Which isn't any fun when you have people telling you to be quite haha. I finally get that done and call it a night. The next few days I work on getting the fuel pump, injectors, wideband, and afpr installed. The fuel pump was a breeze fore me as well was the injectors. The afpr gave me a run for my money because I didn't know where to mount it at. I ended up zip tying it to a line that was by the brake fluid resavior. The wideband was also a challenge because I never did any real wiring before and I have OCD, so I checked the wires a million times before calling it a night. The next day I decided to try to make things look nice and I painted some things with some autozone spray paint. I think it came out "ok".
image_zps521adb3e.jpg

image_zpscd4fd5cb.jpg

image_zps7a77951b.jpg

image_zpsb2beb46d.jpg

image_zpsd5d31526.jpg

image_zps7d9c3a33.jpg

I then worked on the turbo and exhaust set up next. This was fun because I ended up denting the water pipe to bad it bent the part the o ring was on. Luckily there were 7 eclipses at the local pick n pull down the road from me and I found a 2g water pipe. I properly dented it this time and was very careful, but the turbo still wasn't fitting. Come to find out it was hitting the darn water bolt on the block. So I got my dremmel out and went to town on that bolt and almost took half of it off before the turbo would fit. I also re used the stock oil drain and I had to customize my own water lines. As for the oil feed I purchased a -4AN mhi oil fee line kit and tapped it in the oil filter housing.
image_zpsb4bf2040.jpg

image_zps1f5dd282.jpg

image_zps3801ffb2.jpg

And the last piece of the puzzle was the ecu. I had to wire in the orange wire and then I plugged it in. I had countless late nights reading on the dsmlink forums on how to tune and read all of the wiki as well. I thought I was ready to get the car started and then I remembered, I don't even have a dang laptop. I jumped on the classifieds and found a MacBook Pro for really cheap just 45mina way from me. I dropped my wife off at work the next day in her little turbo beetle I got her for Xmas and I went to the guy. The ad didn't mention anything about the battery's being crap. I told the guy nevermind and went outside to smoke a cigarette before I went home. He came out just as I was leavings and said he found a battery that would hold a charge, I purchased it and went home.
image_zps53fa93ac.jpg

image_zpse6822183.jpg

The next day I double checked everything made sure all bolts and nuts were tightened and wires secured. I also decided to delete some things while I waited for my wife to get home. I wanted her to be there to see me start the car. I had nobody else that was there to appreciate anything I did to the car and she was always there to support me and listen to me talk for hours about my car. I ended up deleting all the vacuum lines, fpr solenoid, egr, and all emissions.
image_zpsd1a08655.jpg

image_zps8e47599a.jpg

image_zps371e8f09.jpg

image_zps1e0a4722.jpg

That night I went to fire the car up. I dialed in the injectors and checked to see if the fuel pump worked. It did, and I couldn't believe how loud it was. I then turned the key over to prime the car. I took the main engine fuse out before I did this. I primed it like I was told to and then I went to start the car. The car started right up. I was soooo excited to here the car start after a couple months of working on it. The car wasn't running right but it was running. I didn't really know what I was looking at on the logs even thought I read for so long the previous days. The car was like sputtering and wanting to die. I did the TPS adjust and that helped some. I would like to note how different It is to tune with Apple. I played around with the rev limiter and set it to 3500 and tested it out. I was so juiced that my car had the two step and I tuned it a little more before her grandmother told her to tell me I needed to turn it off. She said I was making to much noise and I needed to stop. I turned it off and went strait to my room to look over the logs and read more on how to tune it.

Yea I'm trying to catch up to the current stage which is only 10 more months but I have done a lot and spent a small fortune on this car in that period of time. The MacBook Pro batts did suck, I'm glad, in a way, that I lost it LOL. It's hard for me to keep updates because my wife was I think 34 weeks prego or idk, when I started the build thread, and now I'm in the room with my wife and new son. I haven't slept in two days because my wife's labor lasted 15hrs before the baby's heart wanted stop cooperating with us and they rushed my wife to a room for emergency C section and I was down the street at Starbucks, imagine how fast I go there haha dang ml350 corners like crazy LOL. Anyhow all went good and we have a healthy 8.12lb baby boy and since I can't sleep I decided to catch up on the thread.

Thank goodness for kaiser wifi haha.

Anthony B.

UPDATE: 01-22-2013 to 01-31-2013

I've been having trouble getting the car to run good at all. I took a few nights to get it running good enough to drive it. I also purchased a 2gb front bumper and painted it black. I also picked up a set of 2GB headlights from pick-n-pull, which I had to buff out pretty badly to get them like they are.

I end up taking it for a spin and I couldn't believe how hard the car would pull. I was only brave enough to take it up and down the street where I lived which was about 1/3 mile and then turn around and come back. Only because I was scared it would die on me and I didn't want to be away to where I couldn't push it home. I did about 10 minutes of driving to get some logs and I called it a night. I felt like the car was running quite well, but I think only because I went from a stock car with a t25 to a mhi with all supporting mods at 18-20psi and I felt like it was a lot more than before. According to my logs though, everything was everywhere. My fuel trims were all off by more than 10%+-. My AFRs were 10.5:1-9.9:1 and some times it would dip lean to 13.x:1. I also noticed I couldn't get it to go into closed loop. This was bugging me because I couldn't get it to run in closed loop for the life of me. I finally figured it out because the next day I was reviewing a log and the afr from the gauge and the log was off and I knew it shouldn't be. And plus the o2 was oscillating either. So I checked the dsmlink forums for the answer and found it. The aem analog wideband I was using was the better one where it had its own signal ground (brown wire) that went to the ecu. I connected that and everything was working now. I was getting it to run in closed loop and now things were even more messed up. The car would die and if I got it to stay on it would stumble and put.

Before 2gb bumper and headlights
image_zps812a011f.jpg

2GB bumper and headlights installed
image_zps09215f77.jpg

I did some quick adjustments to the deadtime and it seemed to work. I ended up with the deadtime around 800 or so and that's the only thing I could do to make it work. I drove to the local autozone which was about 1 mile away to get some antifreeze and some more oil to do a change. On the way there it was running real strong. I get there and it starts messing up. Well I shop and and get back in the car to go home. There's this little strait away about 1/4 mile long and I did a quick pull to 60 and the car made a loud ass pop/bang noise and then died. I was about a little less than 1/2 mile from the house and was going to push it but my wife called AAA. I started to look into the car to try and figure it out, but it was hard because it was dark. I ended up finding the problem and I couldn't believe it. I popped the elbow coupler connecting to the turbo. The hole was the size of 2 golf balls. I didn't have a extra one with me, but I did have duct tape. I taped it up and started the car, it worked. I drove home very carefully and called to cancel AAA, but I still got charged for one of my tows.

Come to find out, I also had popped a couple other couplers and that was why I couldn't get the car to run right. I was stuck in between ordering new couplers or just buying a new Fmic set up.

Last edited:
Nice build bro!! Get all your ic pipes welded up to eliminate the chance of them coming apart again! This is why I always recommend to do a boost leak test after any type of intake track work, it's also good to do as a regular pm!! :) keep up the good work bro, post some logs and I'm sure there are peps that can help you smooth things out!

UPDATE: 02-01-2013

I ordered a punishment racing 2g FMIC kit along with forced performance 255lph hp fuel pump with STM re wire kit. I started immediately to take the things off I was replacing. Upon further inspection when I got the greddy Intercooler off I found A slight tear in every coupler on the car. I was pretty pissed about this , but more pissed at myself for not noticing it when I took the 4+ hour round trip to San Jose to get the dang thing. Also when taking the fuel pump out and running the numbers on the pump it was a 190lph instead of the 255lph someone sold me off the forums. Two upsets in one day. I was getting really irritated about this and thought maybe I shouldn't buy off the forums anymore. I got scammed too many times and I didn't have money to throw away. That night I also made a deal on a trade for my super 20g without the hot side, for a meth kit. I was pretty excited about this. The next day I get the turbo packaged up and get it shipped. I also met up with a fellow dsm'er locally to me and I traded him my greddy Fmic kit for a gm Maf, dsmlink cable, and some akita 5 rims.
image_zps23b4fb5f.jpg

02-05-2013

PACKAGES!!!! I get two packages today. One huge one and one smaller one. The huge one was the punishment racing FMIC kit, Forced Performance 255HP fuel pump and STM ReWire kit. The other was the meth kit. The kit included a AEM progressive controller snow performance 1GAL tank, snow performance 220psi pump, and a AEM low level indicator. I had to get some nozzles, nozzle holders, check valve, hose, and boost juice.
image_zps3354afa8.jpg

image_zps5a328cba.jpg

image_zps828ef77c.jpg

image_zpscd54e6b1.jpg

image_zps590eddc5.jpg

That day I got to work. I started off taking the bumper off to switch it out for the 2gb. I prepped it and painted it gloss black. While that was drying I decided to clean off the rims I just got. They cleaned up OK, only because some of the chrome was peeling. I get one more coat in and while it was drying I swapped the forced Performance 255 in the fuel tank hanger and tackled the STM ReWire too. It felt good knowing what fuel pump was for sure going into the tank. The install was a breeze and the re wire kit was an easy install as well even for a complete novice to electrical. I then decide to tackle the Fmic.
image_zps01b9be63.jpg

image_zpsa5093900.jpg

image_zpse1531439.jpg

This kit was new to me and so was the new 45 degree couplers. I was having a little trouble with getting them all lined up to where the piping would fit without stress on the other pipes. Honestly it took me longer than it should've. The mounting bar that was included was also weird to me. I didn't know if it had a certain way to mount it, so I bolted it up, thought it was good, and left it that way. I re install the greddy BOV and step back to admire the new addition to the Dsm. If I remember correctly I also decided to change the color scheme of the engine bay this day as well. I decided to make it as close to the red color of the exterior as I could without making it look "too much". I really liked the outcome and didn't think I over did it at all.
image_zps56de39b5.jpg

Already did 12s LOL. These updates are from last year. I think I dated them but I'll double check. Right now the car is fully built top to bottom with a hx40 and a big diet. And I just ordered rci2200, a1000 10an pump, 10an lines, custom jaz cell, 10an afpr, 10an filter, Magnus rail, gt42 t4 TS, dnp t4 TS, dynatek arc-2 and harness, cop set up, autometer egt, gizzmo ms-ibc, 50 psi autometer gauge, tial BOV, custom 4" Fmic 3" and 2.5" hot pipe, and a shep stage 2 tranny with wavetrac lsd that's stuck in 3rd for real cheap. I'm making this car an all out drag car and keeping it fwd. I'm just starting this build from the beginning to share with you all how it all started and the uphill battle I have had with this car over the past year and a half.

I hope you all enjoy my story and the struggle it has and continues to be. Remember I am young (23, 22 when I got the car) and continue to learn things everyday about dsm's. I love these cars and am going to keep this car fwd and go after the record. I know it's going to be hard and if I have to do it alone (without sponsors) I will. I should be updating it once every week or so, all I have to do is keep digging up pictures and find time to type.

Anthony B.

Thanks,

I finally got to hear her heart beat yesterday. I'll have to get in it with updating this thread so I can post some videos. I don't want it to get tangled up. I'm trying my best to make it from the beginning to present day.

Thanks again Kauai for everything, I'm glad to have a new and such a good friend. You've been a big help and I can't wait to start playing with the gizmo.

Anthony B.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

NEWTODSM: Which set up are you referring too?

APRODUCTIONS: Thanks bro, I honestly started off when I got the car back in aug of 2012 with a ebay intake and cat back. Then learned its not always good to save money and buy cheap just to get more. It is a must to buy right and do right when it comes to building a DSM. I hate seeing so many people going about things the wrong way and then blame everyone and there mother for there car being crap and then try to give the DSM platform a bad rep. These cars are like any other, they need to be maintained and if you take care of it, it will take care of you.

Updates coming soon. Im trying to get on it I swear, but I just found out today that ma and my wife got the condo. Im so happy we get to move out of this hell hole and live in such a nice place and raise our new son in a better community and environment. I also am going to have to hold back for maybe a month or so on buying more parts for the build because I have to chunk out 1350 for rent, 1350 for last months rent, and the deposit, and that's not including the u haul and a dam trailer for my car. I might just buy one who knows.

Anthony B.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

NEWTODSM: Which set up are you referring too?

APRODUCTIONS: Thanks bro, I honestly started off when I got the car back in aug of 2012 with a ebay intake and cat back. Then learned its not always good to save money and buy cheap just to get more. It is a must to buy right and do right when it comes to building a DSM. I hate seeing so many people going about things the wrong way and then blame everyone and there mother for there car being crap and then try to give the DSM platform a bad rep. These cars are like any other, they need to be maintained and if you take care of it, it will take care of you.

Updates coming soon. Im trying to get on it I swear, but I just found out today that ma and my wife got the condo. Im so happy we get to move out of this hell hole and live in such a nice place and raise our new son in a better community and environment. I also am going to have to hold back for maybe a month or so on buying more parts for the build because I have to chunk out 1350 for rent, 1350 for last months rent, and the deposit, and that's not including the u haul and a dam trailer for my car. I might just buy one who knows.

Anthony B.

i'm on the market of getting a new down pipe, coz currently bought a PR O2 recirc with EWG and the flange doesn't line up on my old DP. also want to install a hi flowing cat. I got a quote from exhaust shop/welding to fix my old DP and they charging me $220 for putting a bung for wide band, re-weld the flange to line up with my O2 and weld my hi-flow cat. with that money I might aswell get a new one coz the flex on my dp is already messed up.

Pm sent 97gst.

Ok, so we decided to get the u haul truck two days, pack, then go to the new condo on the next day (yesterday). I only had my LOL bro for help but we did the dam thing. We even pushed roxy (gst) on the trailer and she's a big bisch. We only hurried things up because my old landlord kinda like threatened me to be and I quote"dirty if I wanted to". Anyhow the move went good, roxy got a couple dings to the frame while I was pushing it off the trailer with my new neighbor of course that has a 1gb gsx, she goes and then stops, I run around the side and she is touching the trailer. She ended the night with a little bruise but got a new big garage.so hopefully once I finish unpacking I can update.

Finally you post in. Y build thread haha, your car has been a big inspiration. My profile isn't up to date and I'm going to run my other turbo (gt42r) when I want to make bigger power than the Holset. I'm just going to play around with the Holset and use it for a month or so then switch to the 42r. One day I want to go for the fwd record, but I didn't make that my build thread name because I'm tired of people trying to bash someone for wanting or going for something so high. I know it's going to be very very very very hard, but I can and will be patient and try my best to achieve it. Kevin has called me and we have talked about his car and he has been such a great help with letting me in on what I need to do for hubs, axles, and little stuff here and there that will take me far in my 60' and ET. I think my biggest thing is going to be my 60' of course and weight. I'm digging into the car already for big weight savings and I'm not even half done with what I'm taking off. I think I can get it low, but I'm not sure if low as Kevin's car.

But hey, if I don't make it, I bet you I will come close. I'm always a student and continue to learn things everyday about my car. I'm young (23) and have my whole life with my car to make it happen. I know one day someone will get the record, but I will be happy to run in the 8s. The car is coming along very well and I'm hoping to get this build up to date so you all can see what I have been doing for the last 7 months.

Anthony B.

Finally you post in. Y build thread haha, your car has been a big inspiration. My profile isn't up to date and I'm going to run my other turbo (gt42r) when I want to make bigger power than the Holset. I'm just going to play around with the Holset and use it for a month or so then switch to the 42r. One day I want to go for the fwd record, but I didn't make that my build thread name because I'm tired of people trying to bash someone for wanting or going for something so high. I know it's going to be very very very very hard, but I can and will be patient and try my best to achieve it. Kevin has called me and we have talked about his car and he has been such a great help with letting me in on what I need to do for hubs, axles, and little stuff here and there that will take me far in my 60' and ET. I think my biggest thing is going to be my 60' of course and weight. I'm digging into the car already for big weight savings and I'm not even half done with what I'm taking off. I think I can get it low, but I'm not sure if low as Kevin's car.

But hey, if I don't make it, I bet you I will come close. I'm always a student and continue to learn things everyday about my car. I'm young (23) and have my whole life with my car to make it happen. I know one day someone will get the record, but I will be happy to run in the 8s. The car is coming along very well and I'm hoping to get this build up to date so you all can see what I have been doing for the last 7 months.

Anthony B.

Awesome it should be a fun trip to that goal! Being able to put as much power down as possible without spinning is key. When I had the 5speed setup I had to limit power through the 1/8 killing my et. Good luck I'll be following. 8's is pretty serious with a FWD but definitely doable.

Pip: sorry I dint see your post asking if I was going to any cmi events. The answer is yes. I just need to finish the car and I am almost done. I've been writing my ass off for the last three days trying to get this build up to date. I am about to post a lot right now. Hope you all enjoy.

Anthony B.

02-08-2013 to 03-08-2013

I street tuned the car after installing these things and was really quite pleased with the outcome of my first little build and attempt at tuning the car. I would go to this long long, very long country road that I don't even think exists on amap and I would do pulls. I would do it from a dig to 5th gear and I would do it basically in every gear to wherever I needed to take it to touch up on the spots I thought needed it. I left the car how it was for a couple weeks, yea a couple weeks LOL, then I decided I wanted to finish getting the things needed for the meth kit and get that installed in the car.

So I ordered a devils own check valve, #5 nozzle, and 90degree nozzle holder from devils own. I then ordered a weld on bung from RTMracing I think that's the name out of canada. Don't ask, I forgot why I ordered it from out there. I also found a local shop that carried snow performance boost juice and they also had the line so it was a plus. It took a couple days to arrive and in those few days of me waiting to get my package my car started acting up.

It would sound like it was putting, I don't know how else to explain it. The car would stumble at idle and make a loud putt noise when it would free rev. Long, long story short it happen to be the exhaust manifold. Somehow it had a long crack along the weld of the flange I had the shop "ZiggyBuilt" put on. I was kinda pissed, I knew they were a new shop and all, but dude told me he was the sh!t. Go figure. Anyhow, I take it off and take it to him the same day I find it and he told me he don't know how that could have happened. He even went so far to say it is cracked just on the outside of the weld, not the weld itself because he welded it good and it's the first time anything like this has happened. Typical Honda based young owned performance shop. He welded it up for free and I was on my way home.
image_zps4f0dcdd1.jpg

I put it back on and it is fine now. I get my packages I've been waiting for and I'm kinda excited to get this meth kit installed. I just need to find a place to weld on the bung and I'm ready to start playing with it. I found a good reputation at this old school molar shop and decided to go with them to weld my bung on. But before I got to do this the dang manifold cracked again and this time the car is down for more upgrades while I'm at it. I talked with the owner at ZiggyBuilt and we came to an agreement I would get my car to his shop and he would do the work for me since I can't work on my car where I live anymore. I couldn't afford to get it towed there so I had to just drive it over there with the cracked manifold, it was 12 miles and I hated to have to that.
image_zps932cd18b.jpg

image_zps2aca2ac2.jpg

Plans and things to do while it was there:
*Order a speed density kit from ecmtuning. Mitsu style omni 4 bar and gm IAT with pig tail. Have them install it.
* Get 264/272 cams and have them installed.
* ordered MHI 10AN oil drain kit from JNZTuning for them to install.
* re weld the manifold.
* fab and Weld up a dump tube for the external wastegate because it was melting stuff.
* I also decided I might as well get the down pipe fabbed up to make it fit right because I had to kind of force it on to bolt it down.
* get the meth kit installed. ( this ended up not being done and I just did it myself.)
image_zpsfe75f6ed.jpg

image_zpsa891f4e7.jpg

I think that's it, not sure it was almost a year ago. Anyhow, while I was waiting patiently for them to finish I spent my spare time on here and ecmlink reading and cramming things into my brain so I can learn more about the platform and the car and tuning in general. I have grown a passion for the Dsm platform and I now eat, sleep, dream Dsm. I am starting to annoy my wife LOL.

I get a call from ziggy built saying I need to get a new timing tensioner, so I do and to find out way later, I didn't even need to, they just are money hungry. Well, I buy an oem one from the dealer and have edit delivered to them. They also called to ask if I wanted to upgrade anything else in the head while he was in there. I told him I might want to put 3G lifters in there because he said I needed a couple new ones anyway. Well funny story, I go to the junk yard and find a "3G" eclipse. I take a few hours tearing it apart and getting all the lifters. I thought, he these sure do look small and nothing like mine. Well I take them to him and he said those won't fit, I research some and find out that they are just called "3G" lifters and are not actually 3rd fen eclipse lifters ROFL. I felt like a total dumby. Good thing I grabbed some lifters out a vr4 galant and I went with those instead haha. Lesson learned, don't always think literal.
image_zps613e6d73.jpg

It's been a few days and I'm getting so anxious to drive my car. I go to the shop everyday to just hang with them, only two people in this shop and the oldest is 25. There cool and all, just not the best at what they do. They sale a lot of knock off junk and are a honda shop. I do admit though he has a bad ass integra, wide body dc2000 RWD that's tight. Anyhow, they call and tell me I can come in tomorrow so I can start it. We got into a little argument because they were suppose to put a quick tune on it with the SD and do the breaking in of the cams, and now they call me and ask me how to break in the cams and how to tune the car when they are already billing me for that.

03-08-2013

Me and my wife get dropped of at the shop to pick up my car, yaaaaaaaayyyyy I'm so excited. We get there and he starts telling me everything they did as we walk back to my car. He gets in the drivers seat and I in the passenger seat and we plug in the lap top. I change the settings for link and we try to start, nothing, it won't start. I go over everything and I forgot to change the maf sliders page to SD. He cranks, he starts, yaaaay. I told him to hold it at 2500 RPMs for ten minutes to break in the cams and then we can go from there. We get the cams broke in and he turns off the car, he told me he was going in the shop real quick and I can play with it if I wanted. So I start the car and start to try and out the idle tune on it as I'm new to SD so I started small, the idle. I get it to idle ok and then I'm out there for about 20 minutes before he comes back. Now he wants me to follow him so we can talk about the price. Well the price he somehow came up with was $1,450.00. How, I have no freakin idea, we talked about the price before and it wasn't even half that. Before it got out of hand and him being best up I just paid like 1200 or something like that I forget and I got in my car and I left.
image_zps00be5b8b.jpg

image_zpsd8400fc6.jpg

I leave the parking lot and I like the new feel of the car. The cams are new to me and I like the little lope they make. I didn't think they made that much noise, but when people keep looking and asking what that noise is I guess it is loud. I needed to get a filter for the valve cover for a breather filter so i stop at smoothers which is about 1/2 to 1 miles tops down the street from the shop. I go in, get the filter and come out to install it real quick. Get in the car and it won't freakin start. Long story short, it was the crank position sensor and I got it towed right back to the shop 4hrs later after waiting and waiting for the truck to get there. He tried to say it was a freak of nature type of thing, but no, it was crushed and he put the timing belt on last so they must have forgotten to tighten it or loop the lines from the sensor back right or something, but it was crushed.
image_zps8991624d.jpg

image_zps81b32bd7.jpg

image_zps95e102e9.jpg

The next day I take him a 1G green top cas to install instead and take care of the two sensors situation and now just have to worry about only one sensor. All gets done and the car starts after I switch the wires and invert the signal. Drive home and all was good. Next day I try to tune some more and only get so far because the car keeps dying. Come to find out when I didn't have a dump tube for the wastegate it melted my dang alternator plug. So I had to fix that.
image_zps03e2c49e.jpg

03-13-2013 to 04-13-2013

The car stays pretty much the same between this months or so period of time. I get the tune on the car and all is running good. Just little mishaps here and there like the water pipe o ring needed changing. I purchased some 2gb fogs and a clear timing cover. I get them and the dam clear cover is broken. Other then that nothing much really goes. I found oil being sprayed all over my engine bay and I tracked it down and fixed it. Like I mentioned, nothing excited for this month or so of time. I did however change out to a hafe exhaust manifold though. I like this manifold very much.
image_zps8db79ef2.jpg

image_zps61a30491.jpg

image_zpsac0cbbb9.jpg

04-19-2013

I order some more parts now that I saved up a little extra money. Some are used purchased off the classifieds here and some were purchased new. I ordered the following:
Exedy stage 2 clutch kit
Hallman MBC
Digital aem wideband kit
And I picked up a set of used drag radials.

April 22nd I receive everything and to my surprise I get ripped off yet again. The exedy clutch kit was not the 3 puk one, but instead the oe replacement and the disc was a cheap knock off, just the pressure plate was exedy. I install the wideband and MBC and I can't get the car to run right at all and can't really figure out why. I read up ecmlink forums that the analog wideband I had in before in fact has a signal wire to ground I can hook up to the ecu to make everything easier. I take the digital one out I ordered and put my old analog one back in and put the brown wire from the harness to the ecu ground and viola, everything works like a charm. I decided to sale the digital one I just got and just rock the analog one. To those wondering, I believe it works very well and is very easy to set up with link.
image_zps1abe62fc.jpg

image_zps5275ef2f.jpg

image_zps268cce6e.jpg

Come to find out the drag radials were actually auto cross radials too. They are BFGoodrich R1 DOT radials. They look just like drag radials but have hard side walls. I wasn't too upset when I found out because I read up on tuners here that they are better then street tires but not as good as actual drag radials. They're for my set of 17" rims, they'll have to do for now.

That night (04-22-2013) I ordered a used exedy 3 puk clutch kit to replace the one I ordered and can't get my money back for because stupid me sent as gift and the guy will not give me a refund. I also went to a local car meet that night. I shouldn't have, but I ran a few runs. All went good and I felt pretty good how the car performed. Ran against a G6, nova, and a "supposedly 10sec Honda"....yea right. Anyhow we did from a 40 and I won for what's it worth. I don't do stuff like that anymore but I did so I thought I'd mention it.

04-30-2013

I got my clutch today. I went to the local auto parts store called Jordan imports to buy an oem TOB. I met a new friend at the car meet that drove a Wrx that was all into my car and he said he has a bunch of friends that are willing to help me do the clutch and I can do it in his driveway since I can't work on the car at my wife's grandmothers. I take them up in it and I meet them there that night around 5pm. We start digging into the car and all is going pretty good, besides them stopping every thirty minutes to smoke weed, or drink beer, I don't do either so I keep working. I read on tuners it should be about 2-4hrs removal and same install so I'm hoping to work my butt off. Well we call it a night after we get the axles and everything out besides the trans.
image_zpsdde6bb5f.jpg

image_zps7dccf38c.jpg

image_zps562c49df.jpg

image_zps93593206.jpg

image_zpsca928e1f.jpg

I go back the next day and we start on it again. We hit a snag because the passenger axle got stuck in the dang trans. No matter what we did I could not get the dam thing out. We even had a 300plus pound guy down there trying and couldn't get it. Me and one of the guys went to his friends autozone and get some pickle forks. We get back and finally get it off after I want to say a couple hours. We decided to call it a night and would finish it the next day. We ended the night with everything off. We got the trans out, old clutch off (which was toast) and the flywheel off after busting a few knuckles. I get home and I notice I don't have my wallet. I call the guy and tell him I might have dropped it at his house and told him I was on my way back to look in my car and around the garage. I get there and can't find it and I am beyond pissed off. I have 2100 in my wallet along with my D.L., social security card, debit card, receipts to my wedding rings etc etc. It was all gone. Someone there took it because I had it when I was there and it must have dropped out my shorts when I was under the car or something. I went home and told my wife, she was not as ad as I was and I think she just wanted me to calm down because she knew I was pissed and knew if I did anything I would go back to prison for fighting and violating parole. I love my wife because she did calm me down. Didn't sleep to good that night.
image_zps5e0a7d54.jpg

image_zps6b422bb0.jpg

The next day I get up and go take my flywheel to get resurfaced. I then went home to take my wife to the doctors because she wasn't feeling well. I wait in the waiting room reading on the forums and she comes out crying, my heart drops, then she smiles and says I'm pregnant. I was so happy, I couldn't believe it. I dropped her off at home and went to Jordan imports to get some oem axles and clutch tool because I didn't have one. I had to go to a different store for that, went to smoothers and got it. It was $40 bucks because it was a universal type one and I HAD to get it so I did. I also got some redline mt90 and MTL fluid while I was there as well. I pick up the flywheel and go to the guys house and wait for them to get there. While I wait I deleted the cruise control box looking thing and I installed my 2gb fog lights. They get there and we get to work and you could feel the tension in the air because everyone knew I lost my wallet. I kinda had a feeling who did it. This guy just got a 1g tsi and wanted all these things but had no money and guess what, he happened to order a turbo and other things a few days later. Anyhow, we finish installing the clutch and take forever to torque the flywheel bolts down. I believe we did them to 98ft/lbs. the flywheel bolts were torqued to spec as well. We then muscle the trans up and bolt it in. Next we did the axles and then we installed the cross drilled and slotted rotors as well.
image_zps41347c96.jpg

image_zps66f3d4ab.jpg

image_zps6a5a921d.jpg

As we were finishing my wife calls, she tells me her and her grandmother got into a fight and she told us we had to leave. Man I have the worst luck. I had to get home. We slap the last things together and start the car to test it out. I drive around the block and the clutch it very weird feeling. Making noise as well. I drive back to his house and try to adjust it best I can, but it's 2AM and I have to get my wife and find a hotel. I say F it and grab my stuff and drive to my wife. She already packed some of our stuff as much as she can fit in her beetle and I grab a little more and we leave. We drive about 85 miles to a hotel near my moms house and we stay there. The clutch felt weird the whole way. One night at a hotel it got so bad the noise coming from the trans was so loud everyone would notice. It was mostly in first and reverse. I park it in the hotel parking lot and I look under the car.

I notice there is a gap in between the trans a block. I get underneath the car and find a bigger gap. I count two bolts holding the trans to the block. I couldn't freaking believe this. The guy that bolted the bolts down only put two bolts on and they were not torqued properly and backed out or were never even tightened down. I should've checked, but with all the stuff going on it never crossed my mined too. That day I was stressed out and called a good friend, like a brother and he said we can stay they as long as we needed. It was 120 miles away though, my car was broke, so we call AAA. hours go by, dude gets there, tells me my car is too low and I got to wait for someone else to come. Said it was for sure I was going to be able to get towed. I did though, got the car to Pittsburg ca and I fix it while we stay there. I had to change out the driver axle too. I also pick up a bare 6 bolt block with everything crank, starter, act 6bolt fwd flywheel, starter plates, etc etc just no pistons and rods. I ordered wiseco pistons and eagle rods used the next day.
image_zps0c8ffbba.jpg

image_zpsbb55fed0.jpg

image_zps764ef133.jpg

image_zps0eea5649.jpg

image_zps7608c5bc.jpg

image_zps11893f87.jpg

Weeks go by and we finally get a place of our own with a garage and it's all we need. My wife's mother used to live there and knows the owner so he doesn't care im self employed as long as he gets paid. We paid him 3 months up front and no deposit to clean up. Big mistake because the place was trashed, holes in the walls, 14 30gal bags of garbage, ripped carpet. We put new carpet, painted the house, and cleaned it to move in ASAP. We moved in 05-29-2013.

06-01-2013

Got my poly mounts and ARP head studs today. I decided to install the mounts, but wait to do the head studs. The mounts were really solid and I went strait to the machine shop to get them pressed. First shop couldn't do it, so I go to the next. They take them and will finish them in 1hr. I get them and get home in time to install them before the sun goes down. I start the car and like the new feel of the car. They aren't as bad as everyone says they are, but you can notice the difference. Can't wait to see the actual differences at the track.
image_zps6ea9149b.jpg

image_zps434c335b.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back