The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2G 2g fwd transmission rebuilt HELP!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bo0sTeD 4G63

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 31, 2008
Miami, Florida
im trying to take apart my manual tranny on my 2g but for some reason i cant take off the trans axle casing and i have taken off every single screw but i cant get the casing to come off like if it was stuck anyone got any ideas?

how do i remove the 5th gear its inside the casing but there is 2 gears sticking out of the casing

i removed the 5th gear and the fork but the casing is stuck i have also removed all the screws so im guessing its the step after that the casing is lose i dont know why it wont come off

Last edited by a moderator:
Have fun, I used that guide when doing a tear down on my tranny not long ago. It worked well for me.

yes i did remove both gears the casing is completely loose and it shakes and wobbles its separated from the transmission but it just wont come off i dont want to pry with something hard just in case i break something or is that what im suppose to do

I have been looking for one and I haven't found it I even bought one of those how to manuals on ebay which was very helpful but I'm still having problems

Make sure you remove the shift rail detents, reverse switch, and the bolt that holds the reverse idler. To remove the midcase remove any and all sensors and bolts from it, not just the ones that connect one case to the other.

I have the whole case is loose it's basically separate from the bell housing it's just stock there aren't any more bolts I can take off

Sounds like the case itself is seperated & 5th gear removed but have you removed the 3 bolts for the selector rods? 3 bolts in a row & there will be a ball & spring behind them. With these removed the case should lift straight off, one of the gears will probably fall off but it only can go back one way & should be easy to find its location before putting it back together.

i did remove the 3 screws with the poppet balls and the 3 poppet springs but it just wont come off does the transmission have to be in a certain gear because when i shift the gears around the case will go lower or higher depending on the gear is there a step am suppose to do becuase the whole tranny is apart its like 4 inches seperate it wiggles but when i lift it gets stuck

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

try this video even though they are speaking whatever they are. they show you step by step how to break the whole tranny down from top to bottom. close up too. very helpful. I know nothing about trannys and stuff but I put a whole new gear cluster in because of this video

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back