1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G DSM or Evo CAS?

Posted by Canadian_CD9A, Jul 11, 2020

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
  1. Canadian_CD9A

Canadian_CD9A Proven Member

Joined Feb 10, 2012
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Possibly a rookie question, but stick with me.

I'm converting to the Kiggly crank trigger in my early 7-bolt car (Evo 1) and need to pick a CAS. The housing and sensor of the CAS is the same between DSM & Evo, but the bolt into the cam and the trigger cylinder are different. I don't think my camshafts are set up for the CAS, so the intake cam has to be tapped - the thread on 97-99 DSM CAS bolt is M8x1.25, while the Evo is M10x1.25. So I need to pick the bolt I'm going to use, but my question is in regards to the cylinder specifically - does it matter what CAS cylinder is used? Are the trigger patterns exactly the same? And would drilling the cam for the larger bolt affect their resale value in any way?

Evo 7-9 style (MD375814) which uses MD368730 bolt:
    s-l400.jpg

DSM & Evo 4-6 style (MD327621) which uses MF241261 bolt:
    MITS-MD327621-2.jpg

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  2. DSMPT

DSMPT Proven Member

Joined Jun 12, 2014
    Japan / Mexico, Arizona
    I could be wrong but since some people run EVO 8 cams w/ its cylinder on EVO 4-6 or EVO 8 ECU on a DSM, I think it doesn't matter what cylinder you use.
    My guess, why the bolt size is different is because of the cam structure. From EVO 7, the cams are hollow structure.
    As for the resale price, I don't think it would affect the price much but maybe you would have buyers limited.

Drag Race Build 2K  3

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 2K  4

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM
  3. Canadian_CD9A

Joined Feb 10, 2012
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    The management aspect makes a lot of sense, actually. Thank you for pointing that out. Doing some digging in some threads from the UK, people talk about people swapping the cylinder and bolt to put later cams into an earlier car. I'll go with the big bolt right off the bat on the Evo setup, they can still be found used easily.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    DSMPT likes this.
  4. bastarddsm

bastarddsm Proven Member

Joined Aug 26, 2003
    Mendota, Illinois
    What ecu are you using?

Showcar Build 6K  1

1991 Eagle Talon N/T
    9.805 @ 144.00 · 1G DSM
  5. Canadian_CD9A

Joined Feb 10, 2012
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Myself, I'll be using a Haltech - I have a PS1000 jumper harness, but I need the features of an Elite 1500, so I'll probably make the jump. I just didn't want to make the cams worth a lot less by drilling a bolt/trigger that the DSM CAS can't read.

6. DSMPT

DSMPT Proven Member

Joined Jun 12, 2014
    Japan / Mexico, Arizona
    Yeah because it's a kind of upgrade, lighter and the 8 MR cams spec is a bit more aggressive.

Drag Race Build 2K  3

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 2K  4

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM
  7. bastarddsm

bastarddsm Proven Member

Joined Aug 26, 2003
    Mendota, Illinois
    Doesn't matter what trigger you use then. Cut one tooth off, and run a 12 tooth cranks trigger. ECU will be much much happier.

Showcar Build 6K  1

1991 Eagle Talon N/T
    9.805 @ 144.00 · 1G DSM
    Canadian_CD9A likes this.
  8. Canadian_CD9A

Joined Feb 10, 2012
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Seems to be the large tooth that people remove from the cam trigger. I'll give it a go.