The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

1st twin scroll 20g on DSM !!! (EVO 10 turbo)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

94awdcoupe

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 6, 2004
tampa, Florida
I believe I am the first to convert EVO 10 for use on my EVO 1. The results are amazing. Here is quick over view.

I spent an enormous amount of time mounting a 3071 . Never really happy with the low end response I had been kicking myself that I wish I had made a custom manifold to mount a factory evo8/9 turbo. Then when the evo X came out with standard rotation twin scroll turbo I got excited. I new one would eventually end up on my car. You can mount evo8/9 turbo without too much trouble but the PS and alt has to go since the turbo inlet would sit right there in their place. That conversion was done once and car the made 355hp on pump gas and when low 11,s at 120 to back it up. Of course for me PS and A/C are a must so a seriously custom exhaust manifold and 02 would have been needed to make evo8/9 turbo work. The evo X turbo on the other hand is configured correctly for a much smoother conversion for DSM use. its still a big project but a fun one. original turbo is a 15g. upgraded turbo is a 20g/TD06L2 (e-bay-KAMAK) I will let pics do he talking. all in all spent a full work week getting it done but the spool and power is amazing. I am very pleased. I have the ultimate street turbo on this car. 4th gear stab at 2500 starts pulling hard at 3200. full 2.0 bar at 3700rpm. The spool figures dont tell the whole story the torque from 2500-3500 is making the 2.0 feel almost like a 2.3. Its that good.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

i live in New Zealand (if you dont know where it is then google it, it is a different country to australia)

i have a 1994 mitsubishi lancer evolution 2 RS with the standard 4g63 engine

2 things ive noticed is your motor and intake manifold are quite different to mine, obviously the american version or whatever version you have is different to the japanese imports we have in nz, ive never seen them before, whats the difference??

ive been thinking of fitting an evo 8 turbo with a custom tubular manifold but now that ive seen this i have a few questions, first up is the evo x turbo an exact mirror image of the td05hra 16g 9.8t on the evo 8/9 and secondly what boost were you running when you bent that rod? was it standard boost on the internal actuator or did you raise it?

if you could answer those for me it will no doubt save me some money haha

heres some pics of my car when i bought it, it now has full evo 3 bodykit and wing
http://img41.imageshack.us/i/1000510o.jpg/
http://img185.imageshack.us/i/1000508j.jpg/

i live in New Zealand (if you dont know where it is then google it, it is a different country to australia)

i have a 1994 mitsubishi lancer evolution 2 RS with the standard 4g63 engine

2 things ive noticed is your motor and intake manifold are quite different to mine, obviously the american version or whatever version you have is different to the japanese imports we have in nz, ive never seen them before, whats the difference??

ive been thinking of fitting an evo 8 turbo with a custom tubular manifold but now that ive seen this i have a few questions, first up is the evo x turbo an exact mirror image of the td05hra 16g 9.8t on the evo 8/9 and secondly what boost were you running when you bent that rod? was it standard boost on the internal actuator or did you raise it?

if you could answer those for me it will no doubt save me some money haha

heres some pics of my car when i bought it, it now has full evo 3 bodykit and wing
Imageshack - 1000510o.jpg
Imageshack - 1000508j.jpg

The engines are the same. My intake manifolds are just shaved for cleaner look. The 8/9 turbos are difficult to fit. the evo 10 is mirror image for most part and fit in much better. I was running the turbo at 29psi falling to 23psi. The actuator was from evo 8/9 modded to fit. I would sell the 20g turbo I made in this thread if you are interested PM me.

just checking in. setup has worked flawlessly tamper free for over two years now.

for the doubters who thought the welding wouldnt hold. I think its safe to say you were wrong.

The 20g form this thread is still here. if anyone wants to try copying this. You would have to make your own manifolds and downpipe. well worth the effort if you ask me. this has been one of the more worth while projects I have tackled.

lovin my twin scroll evo 1 !!!!

^^Very nice. I hope to see anything else you do. Did you ever write up how to fill in the runners on a cyclone manifold?

This setup looks so badass. I might have to try something like this later on down the road if I find a decently priced evox turbo. I have welded some cast and it has held up pretty well, so hopefully I'd have no problems with the manifold. It would be nice to have spoolup a little sooner thats for sure.

ive looked at these pics atleast 20 times already and cant believe how clean that came out! i was trying to figure out what it would take for me to do this to my car ### i like the idea of a twin scroll turbo. if anyone knows of anyone that could/would make this manifold for me please let me know.

time flies while having fun. cant believe this was built five years ago. to those in doubt the welds are still holding fine. first ran a 20g. then an hta green for three years. now trying out fp red ball bearing. heres the latest shot of engine compartment before maiden voyage.. just saved 100 pounds in the engine compartment during complete strip down/ repaint / retweek.. curb weight is below 2500 now. pretty stoked.

custom front brake setup**. 26 lbs.
a/c bracket chopped to tripod. 2 lbs
2G PS pump, chopped bracket, alloy pulley** 3 lbs
K1 crank 4 lbs**
from 2.4 to evo 8 balance shafts 1.5 lbs **
BMW alloy brake booster 3 lbs
plasma cut trans side mount 1lb.
Expo alloy engine mount 2 lbs
chopped engine side mount 1 lb
Saab hydro throw out bearing 1lb
Hyundai plastic fuel rail .5 lbs.
Skunk2 pro cam gears 1 lb. **
plasma cut swiss cheese front sub frame 7 lbs
plastic timing idler pulleys 1 lb.**
custom jerry rigged roll stop setup ~ 9.5 lbs
1/2 radiator 1/2 condenser ~12 lbs (+ unknown water weight)
PS cooler and lines swapped to alloy ~1 lb.
Honda PS reservoir .4 lbs
A/C BMW plastic tensioner pulley ~1 lb. **
drilled WP pulley .5 lb **
trim wire harness of extra anti-lock wires 4.5 lbs
gm alternator swap .5 lbs ** (lighter rotor~30% easier to turn by hand)
hacked timing belt cover 1 lb.
evo 4 TB swap .7 lbs.
Shorai battery 10 lbs
battery bracket 1 lb.
alloy head tcase swap 7lbs.
alloy hood prop .5 lbs
~100 lbs shaved
** rotating savings

Ok I now have a new favorite evo, 2500lbs and awesome steering response plus that much useable power. Love the build man props, interested to hear new numbers with the bb red sic spool and top end I'm guessing.

That's some nice area under the curve power there. I am now convinced I need to go twin scroll for my street build. Sucks I bought a nice fp race for a steal but that power band is just what I'm looking for thanks for posting all this info!

Im curious on what type of process you used to weld the manifold. Did you tig weld it? Arc weld (stick weld)? What rod or filler did you use? If you dont mind sharing with us. 5 years of no cracking has made me a believer .

Damn! I'll bet that turbo has some nice street power, the response has got to be better too.

How much money do you have tied into the setup, I might consider getting my hands on an evo 10 turbo...
And that reminds me, what model evo 10 turbo is the best one to get, or are they all pretty much the same?

This is totally badass, I can't believe more people haven't done it or a company hasn't made these yet.

Im curious on what type of process you used to weld the manifold. Did you tig weld it? Arc weld (stick weld)? What rod or filler did you use? If you dont mind sharing with us. 5 years of no cracking has made me a believer .

nothing special. just mig welded. on a cheap welder too.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back