1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

1g timing belt condition

Posted by Bounty, Dec 9, 2019

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing
  1. Bounty

Bounty Probationary Member

Joined Dec 18, 2018
    Loveland, Colorado
    Hello I picked up a 91 talon n/t 2.0L. It has sat for about a year before the guy I got it from replaced the brake booster, new clutch,new oil sensors and pump, new master slave, new brakes and maybe a new timing belt fairly recent? What is your guy's opinion?

Attached Files:

270  2

1996 Eagle Talon TSi
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM
  2. silvreclips

silvreclips Proven Member

Joined Jul 19, 2005
    Greenville, South Carolina
    If you don't have proof that it was replaced. Then I wouldn't take a chance.

Autocross Build 268  1

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    1990TSIAWDTALON likes this.
  3. 1990TSIAWDTALON

1990TSIAWDTALON Moderator

Joined Nov 14, 2013
    Independence, Kansas
    ME TOO!!! Very important and isnt THAT hard of a job on both motor types, turbo or not.

Street Build 4K  27

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · automatic · 1G DSM

658  14

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

487  18

1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 695  7

1998 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 5K  11  25

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    13.620 @ 108.460 · 1G DSM
  4. Bounty

Joined Dec 18, 2018
    Loveland, Colorado
    I plan on doing it but there's a few smaller issues I'd like to take care of first, regarding the idle the guy said it's the tps but I am not convinced. I believe it could just be bad plugs, wires and dirty maf. Idles at 2.5k on cold start then idles really rough when warm but not erratic and feels like it's just lacking power you can tell it wants to go but something's holding it back. I only drive about 8 miles both ways to work so I was trying to get some opinions on the condition of the belt itself to see if I could wait a bit.

270  2

1996 Eagle Talon TSi
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM
  5. silvreclips

silvreclips Proven Member

Joined Jul 19, 2005
    Greenville, South Carolina
    Check the underside of the belt. If you don't see any cracking between the teeth you may be ok to drive it some. You have 0 warning before the belt actually fails and that's when the repair bill can get expensive

Autocross Build 268  1

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    1990TSIAWDTALON and Bounty like this.
  6. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    If your used to a turbo car then the n/t will feel like its lacking power obviously, you can check that the now 30 year old catalytic converter is not clogged though, even partially clogged will bring the power down enough to make it a slug, I would plan on a replacement belt at some point soon enough though, even if the belt wont fail, it could have a cheapo timing belt dampener or idler pulley that's ready to let go or leaking in the case of the dampener, when a person plans to sell a car they don't always use the highest quality parts when doing basic maintenance.

Drag Race Build 3K  24

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    1990TSIAWDTALON and Mech Addict like this.
  7. Mech Addict

Mech Addict Proven Member

Joined Jun 9, 2019
    Jackson, Wyoming
    Agreed on the last point. I believe I bought a fine example of that. I also am concerned about my timing belt, and ballancer belt. Factory interval is rather short. My 06 Subi was 105k change. Seems like t-belt is one of those classic “as long as you’ve got it appart” deals, when water pump, bunch of pulleys and what not are also replaced on the grounds of having done much of the work already. Starts to drive up both cost and time, though, even if it does make some sense.

Street Build 324  6

awd · manual · 1G DSM
  8. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    For the fuel mileage that the n/t will get you, it will more than pay for the replacement parts of higher quality honestly, plus it should be super reliable, mine was after 300k!

Drag Race Build 3K  24

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  9. Bounty

Joined Dec 18, 2018
    Loveland, Colorado
    Okay I'll check it out tomorrow, thanks for the advice.

270  2

1996 Eagle Talon TSi
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM
  10. Bounty

Joined Dec 18, 2018
    Loveland, Colorado
    I mean I've been daily driving a 95 n/a Volvo 850 wagon and that thing had more get up and go... which that thing was a turd I know a non turbo talon is faster than that. My Volvo kept up basically even in a 2002 dodge with the v6, the Talon cannot keep up at all.

270  2

1996 Eagle Talon TSi
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM
  11. pauleyman

pauleyman DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 19, 2011
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    Do not clean the maf. These cars do not use a wire sensor maf it's a karman vortex type sensor and they do not require cleaning

Street Build 3K  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
    Bounty likes this.
  12. Bounty

Joined Dec 18, 2018
    Loveland, Colorado
    Okay I did not clean it, I changed plugs and wires seemed to have helped the idle surge/rough idle

270  2

1996 Eagle Talon TSi
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM
  13. Mech Addict

Mech Addict Proven Member

Joined Jun 9, 2019
    Jackson, Wyoming
    How did the plugs look? Obvious problems. If it fixed it, that's great, but sometimes just a short term deal if something else is the cause, and plug fouling just a symptom.

Street Build 324  6

awd · manual · 1G DSM