The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G 1g or 2g head 700+ hp

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFlashDSM

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2010
stony brook, New_York
i now have all my bottom end parts to do my 700+ hp build there is a lot out there on 1g vs 2g head my simple question is which one do i go with to start the head build, and dont tell me to search for it because there is so much out there for each head, i need numbers people, thanks!!!

my block parts so far, machine work still needs to be done,
l19 studs
eagle crank,
howard i beam rods,
hd 1400 9.5:1 22mm pin pistions,
acl race main, rod bearings.

Curt Brown's words of wisdom

I highly recommend the 2G head for 90% of us who want a better usable powerband and a good street/strip car.
For goals of well over 800whp and 160mph in the 1/4 mile and a more strip only car a 1G head is bettter.

Love my 2g head on my 1g but if you are going to run a big compressor then the 1g will move more air. I have both but my EVOIII Intake wouldn't mate to the 1g runners so I went with my 2g head. 2g head = more velocity, 1g head = more volume.

It really depends on what kind of work is going to be put into the head. Out of the box, the 1g head flows better up top, but the 2g head can be worked to flow almost as much as a 1g head with similar work. Some people have also commented that the 2g deck is stronger and less prone to blow gaskets.

On my car I run a 1g head that is a new casting. It seals great. I probably could get a little more torque and slightly quicker spool with a 2g setup that was ported correctly.

But honestly I try to stay away from torque because our transmissions hate it. The trans lives much longer making power with airflow and rpm that it does with a torque monster setup.

im going with a bw s366 turbo im going to be using it for some street but mainly track. i know the runners on the 2g have more of a straight shot for the ports but i hear so much mixed info on this subject give me dyno numbers please both max hp on the 1g and 2g

Both will achieve 700+ but it depends on what you want, more torque or less torque. As stated 2g = velocity 1g = volume.

Honestly it's your choice on which you use. I'd say whichever you can find at the best price. If I could find a 1g that has cam caps cheaper than a 2g with cam caps then I'd do 1g, vise versa also.

Airflow and rpm > ripping gears out from a huge torque hit, personally.

Look up some of the top drag cars and see which head most of them use and base that instead of dyno numbers. Trap speed is better than dyno pulls.

awesome site, and main question again, which head should i port and polish and build to achieve my goal of 700+ 1g or 2g
Do not port either yourself, unless you are experienced, and have a flow bench. The ecu averages out the airflow over 4 cylinders. If one of them flows 10% more, it runs 10% leaner.

Either head ported by a reputable shop will easily meet your needs.

For what it's worth I've seen over 70lbs/min on a stock unported 1g casting.

Try contacting some of the site vendors with your needs. Also, this guy has been going faster than other people with the same parts for years, his heads are part of the reason. http://www.curtbrownracing.com/cylinder_heads_2.html

Do not port either yourself, unless you are experienced, and have a flow bench. The ecu averages out the airflow over 4 cylinders. If one of them flows 10% more, it runs 10% leaner.

Either head ported by a reputable shop will easily meet your needs.

For what it's worth I've seen over 70lbs/min on a stock unported 1g casting.

Try contacting some of the site vendors with your needs. Also, this guy has been going faster than other people with the same parts for years, his heads are part of the reason. http://www.curtbrownracing.com/cylinder_heads_2.html

im sending it out to get ported and flow tested LOL i would never do that my self for this kinda power,

Both will achieve 700+ but it depends on what you want, more torque or less torque. As stated 2g = velocity 1g = volume.

Honestly it's your choice on which you use. I'd say whichever you can find at the best price. If I could find a 1g that has cam caps cheaper than a 2g with cam caps then I'd do 1g, vise versa also.

Airflow and rpm > ripping gears out from a huge torque hit, personally.

Look up some of the top drag cars and see which head most of them use and base that instead of dyno numbers. Trap speed is better than dyno pulls.

yea i understand looking them up and seeing i did that allready and found too much of both worlds i need to know "hey your running an s366 go with the 1g-2g head blah blah blah" its an automatic build im doing so i dont know if i need to go with the 1g or 2g head and i have 2 2g bear heads here and 1 on my car now LOL i have 3 2g heads in my garage so should i send one out sell one to get a 1g what should i dooo????

I made 702/574 whp in STMs Mustang dyno. 38 psi on a T4 6466 on E85. I think it might have a bit more in it, and I have all the work done to my 2g head (porting, oversized valves, bowl work, etc). The 2g head will definitely make some power and is a good choice if you don't have a 6-bolt head core laying around.

Running an auto complicates things, unless you want to run nitrous.

You are going to need the head, cams, converter, and turbo to work together.

What converters are you looking at running?

The 2g head is superior in basically every way. Mostly due to its much improved intake port. Air has a much more direct path to the valve in the 2g head vs a near 90* angle in the 1g head. Which can not be corrected with porting. You can raise the port floors with epoxy sure, but thats an entirely different ball game.

When kiggly and Curt Brown say the 2g head is superior you should listen.

Running an auto complicates things, unless you want to run nitrous.

You are going to need the head, cams, converter, and turbo to work together.

What converters are you looking at running?

i was thinking of nitrous to help get the converter going, but yea i know they all have to work together i was thinking of going billet but it will be too much for the street with the hear, so im gonna go 3500-4500 stall and sling this bit*h out of the hole ahhahaha but this is why i need to know go with 1g-2g im gonna go with gsc 280 cams bw s366 turbo 9.5:1 comp http://sinisterspeed.net/mitsubishi/torque-converters

1g ports are too big. 2g heads are better design. I believe they work better for 1000hp as well but its just a belief. every post in here will be opinion with no real data on what works better.

12 years ago a local here had a 2g car with basic 16g setup. five different people drove this car during maintenance and modding. I remember him showing me the 1g head he bought. bought because bigger ports are better and 2g cars got gipped with small ports. he switched to 1g head 1g intake. everything else on car was left the same. only head with intake was swapped and neither head was ported. same cams were used. five people learned why mitsubishi switched to high velocity ports. I remember the comments very well as those who drove the car with both heads. my own impression was I had no idea at the time there would be such a big difference for such a seemingly small change. the change was pretty stark. almost like going from 264 cams back to stock cams. car was flat more fun with the 2g head.

1g ports are too big. 2g heads are better design. I believe they work better for 1000hp as well but its just a belief. every post in here will be opinion with no real data on what works better.

12 years ago a local here had a 2g car with basic 16g setup. five different people drove this car during maintenance and modding. I remember him showing me the 1g head he bought. bought because bigger ports are better and 2g cars got gipped with small ports. he switched to 1g head 1g intake. everything else on car was left the same. only head with intake was swapped and neither head was ported. same cams were used. five people learned why mitsubishi switched to high velocity ports. I remember the comments very well as those who drove the car with both heads. my own impression was I had no idea at the time there would be such a big difference for such a seemingly small change. the change was pretty stark. almost like going from 264 cams back to stock cams. car was flat more fun with the 2g head.

IMHO the only reason to use a 1g head is if you are utilizing the awesome cyclone dual runner manifold.

IMHO the only reason to use a 1g head is if you are utilizing the awesome cyclone dual runner manifold.

yea im gonna be using a magnus SMIM but all i want is for people to post how much power they made with a 2g built bottom end with a 1g head and built bottom end with a 2g head keeping in mind both heads are built

So let say I do have a 1g head and a 2g head.... are they completely just bolt on either or? Or do you have to do any modifying on a 1g block for a 2g head? or vise versa?

So let say I do have a 1g head and a 2g head.... are they completely just bolt on either or? Or do you have to do any modifying on a 1g block for a 2g head? or vise versa?

You don't need to modify the block at all, but you will need to ensure that you have the right intake manifold installed. I would NEVER put a 1g intake manifold on a 2g head.

Man I guess, but that is the way my car came to me....1g intake on a 2g head straight from the Army Mechanic that knew it all. All the airflow was like hitting a brick wall on that head so I went with the EVO3 intake and it is working very well.

Longtime 2g head advocate here - my opinion and personal findings over many motors and miles is that the 2g head is better for the midrange power band. It's also updated in design from the 1g head. Just think, did the mitsu engineers regress in their design or move it forward when they made a 2G car? In any case, as much as I love a 2g head I'm currently using a 1g head because I have a cyclone intake on my car. I have some spare cyclones on the shelf with the idea that one day I'll fill in the runners and make it compatible with the 2g intake port dimensions. I bet that will be a bad ass setup and I believe awdcoupe did it already a long time ago.

I'll tell you what helped a ton is getting rid of miles of intake piping. I never used a FMIC on my car. I went straight from a hard piped SMIC to a 350hp WAIC core. Shortening up the piping also freed up a lot of the cramped spaces that people usually have to deal with when running a j-pipe and piping across the exhuast to the driver side of the air dam.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back