The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G 1G oil cooler ideas

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troppo loungo

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 5, 2009
Toronto, GTA, ON_Canada
I am planning a new, larger oil cooler on my 1Gb from my current 90 dsm air/oil cooler that I have mounted at the drivers fog light location. Looking at a Setrab 19 row series 6 which should fit there. It is larger, thicker and more efficient. It is rated at 300hp by Setrab. I will not be running the stock water/oil sandwich cooler. I'm looking for other ideas on 1Gs that you have incorporated, particularly for road racing. I am thinking about an even larger vertical cooler in the same location with an added air scoop below the bumper cover. I may add another cooler in series at some point, perhaps with a fan. Thanks for sharing.

Mines a 2g but I used the smallest oil cooler I could find from extremepsi. Used an evo 3 ofh for the oil in and out And mounted it under the power steering container behind the front bumper. Then I used a 3d printed bumper air vent I got from a member on here to route air from the bumper through it. Mounted a very small fan as a puller on the back side and wired that to a switch. Then another air vent through the back side over the fan that routes the air through my fender liner to be directed towards my front driver side brakes.
I have the same setup on the other side split to go half to my airbox and the other half to my passenger side brakes.

I have also seen people mount an oil cooler behind the intercooler and in front of the radiator.

I used a Setrab on my 1g for road courses. Can't remember the model. I had some minor ducting to funnel air to it but wanted to improve that and add an exit route for it through the wheel well plastic.

Ducting is key with the oil cooler and also radiator/intercooler, to push air through it and have a place for it to exit efficiently so it's just stuck there, preventing air flow.

This is my trans cooler setup location on the auto car (3 1403 Haydens) but I have a single 1403 Hayden on the 90 Red Talon in the same location for oil cooling. Ducted with the stock IC duct and some custom stuff. I ran its lines across the top of my intercooler so you can't see them.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

This is my trans cooler setup location on the auto car (3 1403 Haydens) but I have a single 1403 Hayden on the 90 Red Talon in the same location for oil cooling. Ducted with the stock IC duct and some custom stuff. I ran its lines across the top of my intercooler so you can't see them.

Marty, hopefully those hoses don't rub on the holes in the sheet metal. I'm sure they'll be fine, but wouldn't hurt to make some grommets.

Yeah Chris we looked at that. The coolers tubes actually stick thru the holes and I am going to grommet them. The 2 coolers in front of the final one don't have their hoses below the inner fender.
Thanks for pointing it out! Really, the coolers don't move at all and the lines don't either but I'd rather not worry about it! :thumb:

Mines a 2g but I used the smallest oil cooler I could find from extremepsi. Used an evo 3 ofh for the oil in and out And mounted it under the power steering container behind the front bumper. Then I used a 3d printed bumper air vent I got from a member on here to route air from the bumper through it. Mounted a very small fan as a puller on the back side and wired that to a switch. Then another air vent through the back side over the fan that routes the air through my fender liner to be directed towards my front driver side brakes.
I have the same setup on the other side split to go half to my airbox and the other half to my passenger side brakes.

I have also seen people mount an oil cooler behind the intercooler and in front of the radiator.
Excellent idea
For the 6bolt 90s oil filter housing do you know where I can get the m24x1.5 hose barb fittings from?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back