The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Resolved 1g Just put car back together went to start and it’s knocking

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breadvans

Proven Member
May 16, 2021
Harrisburg, Oregon
Old engine had crank walk so i swapped in a new 6 bolt. Just went to start and it’s knocking. Am i missing something? Pre- detonation? Or far worse?

So a new engine making knocking sounds? What kind of knocking sound and what exactly did you do? Just swapped the crank or fully rebuilt the engine, etc? Please provide us more details. Upload a video, that may help to figure out.

So a new engine making knocking sounds? What kind of knocking sound and what exactly did you do? Just swapped the crank or fully rebuilt the engine, etc? Please provide us more details. Upload a video, that may help to figure out.
I tried uploading a video with that. I’ll try again with this reply but i just straight swapped the motor. Didn’t rebuild the crank or anything just switched the head over for my 2g head
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I tried uploading a video with that. I’ll try again with this reply but i just straight swapped the motor. Didn’t rebuild the crank or anything just switched the head over for my 2g head
Did you do a compression test? Hard to hear the sound but are you sure you set the timing/balance shaft belt properly?

Did you do a compression test? Hard to hear the sound but are you sure you set the timing/balance shaft belt properly

Timing marks were dead on. I used the truck for the balance shaft to see which way it falls to get it on time. There’s just that knocking sounds and no start

Although the exhaust isn’t hooked all the way up. That’s why i mentioned predet

There’s just that knocking sounds and no start
Which knocking sounds are you exactly referring to? Hard to determine by the video but it sounds something is not right, it's cranking too slow or wrong timing? Can you upload another video maybe better under the hood while cranking?

That's not very informative.
As stated it's cranking real slow also. Related? Or is battery low. That almost sounds like something external knocking.
Lay out exactly what you did. New 6 bolt so you did tighten new flywheel down? Checked all major bolts?

i took my old my old motor out. Got a new clutch and flywheel. Put it on the the motor. Swapped old transmission over. Then changed over heads. Redid timing everything was perfectly on. Double checked after i put motor in.

Car battery was dead so tried jumping it and that’s what i heard. It’s a dead battery but i just can’t find exactly what’s knocking. Imma try and get a better video here in a bit. I had the firing order off so i fixed that so it sounds different then before but still a knocking sound

Checked all major bolts. Tighten flywheel down with red loctite. As far as i can tell i haven’t miss anything except the exhaust

It’s currently night time and i work from dawn to dusk so I’m not sure how you guys will be able to see so I’ll try and post it, and then I’m also going to try and a compression test and spark test

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like the starter is not engaging well.
Are you 100% sure you tightened the 2 starter mounting bolts? and you got the right clutch, flywheel and starter for your car?
I reused the old starter. I’ll double check the bolts again, but it's got the 6 bolt flywheel and clutch. Torqued all that down to spec

i fs got the 6 bolt flywheel and clutch.
What I asked is if you got the right one for your car, for FWD or AWD? And also double check if the transmission is mounted properly with starter plate and if the flywheel is not contacting bell housing or something.

Pull the spark plugs and turn the motor over by hand. Listen and feel. That noise sounds external. I don't think it's I side the crankcase.
You dont have a profile. Is this awd or fwd?
If awd did you get the smaller bolt through the.block to the trans from the backside?

Awd yes. And you’re talking about the one that’s a 12mm that goes to the bell housing right? Cuz i got that one. Also got fuel going to my fuel rail but no injector pulse

Glad to hear from multiple people it sounds external!

I also have fuel and spark. I haven’t checked for compression yet however and will have to do so tomorrow night after work

Are you sure crank and cams are turning together? Simple to pop top cover off and watch. Cas doesn't turn nothing happens. Any possibility you got crank plate on backwards?

Really sounds like the starter isn’t engaging all the way. You said you battery is dead and you are trying to jump it, that may be causing the starter to partially engage. Put a new battery in there and make sure you have good grounds to the engine/starter so it can operate correctly.

Are you sure crank and cams are turning together? Simple to pop top cover off and watch. Cas doesn't turn nothing happens. Any possibility you got crank plate on backwards?
Pop off valve cover? And no the crank plate wasn’t backwards. Are you wanting me to see if the bottom end and top end are spinning together?

Really sounds like the starter isn’t engaging all the way. You said you battery is dead and you are trying to jump it, that may be causing the starter to partially engage. Put a new battery in there and make sure you have good grounds to the engine/starter so it can operate correctly.
Okay I’ll get a new battery when i can and double check my grounds

Pop off valve cover? And no the crank plate wasn’t backwards. Are you wanting me to see if the bottom end and top end are spinning together?
Not valve cover. Timing cover. Yes I want you to check if they're spinning. You said timing marks are dead on. But have you checked them again since this started?

I have not. I’ll take the timing cover off after i get a new battery today and check em all

Okay I’ll get a new battery when i can and double check my grounds
Double checked my grounds. Got a new battery. Also timing is still good and top end and bottom end are spinning together. I still got the same problem and same sound

I would pull the starter, inspect the gear and bench test it. Maybe even pull off the inspection cover just to have a look. Sound like something with the starter or engagement to me as well.

Pull the plugs and turn the engine by hand to make sure it’s smooth.

It all turns over pretty well so i don’t imagine the clutch and flywheel are hitting anything but do you mean the flywheel teeth by ring gear? If not not exactly sure what you mean. I did put my starter back in after testing and it was so close to starting. It was properly cranking and started to start then nothing. Wasn’t turning over at all. So i waited a minute and tried again and i got it close to starting about 4 times in a row and now when i try to start it i just hear the starter spin

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back