The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

1g ECU in a 2g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

absolute_DSM

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 29, 2006
Boise, Idaho
The subject is a 97 GSX.

Humor me here. Ive seen the old school harness that was created back in the day -
Pro Street Online - #1 OEM and Aftermarket Parts Superstore!

Ok, I know that wasnt easy to create, but it cant be impossible.

Ive seen threads like this -
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/problem-diagnosis/251076-1g-ecu-2g.html

And Im not looking for that kind of answer.

I run a 2g EPROM with DSMlink, a GM MAF and MAF Translator. I could use some extra cash and sell that all if I ran a 1g ECU and Jackal. Ive seen it, watched a good friend tune his Laser with it and Im impressed. The way DSMlink is dumbed down just doesnt do it for me. I want to be different.

So has anyone tried to swap a 1g ECU into a 2g lately? I like to think Im fairly good with electronics and wiring so Im not scared. But I want some opinions. I want someone to scare me.

Anything is possible if you have the time and money... sounds like you have 90% of the parts you will need. mostly what you will just need now is the time to do it. i assume you don't have emissions where you're at?

Id like to run Jackal, I dont think Evo8 ECUs support that?

Mainly, I would wire it in, but Im pretty sure its not as easy as swapping pins to match the 1g ECU. Theres got to be some thinking behind it.

My car is still registered in IA, so Im not worried about emissions.

if you aren’t worried about emissions then the easiest way would be an EVO8 ecu there are several patches for speed density available. i recommend getting on evolutionm.com and checking around you can also get ecu based boost control, no lift to shift, launch control, and more with minimal wiring changes not to mention it is flash programmable, no chip burning.

but 1g ecu probably isn’t as hard as you would think. i don’t have a wiring diagram for both cars so i cant check right now but i don’t imagine it would be that difficult...

Id like to run Jackal, I dont think Evo8 ECUs support that?

Mainly, I would wire it in, but Im pretty sure its not as easy as swapping pins to match the 1g ECU. Theres got to be some thinking behind it.

My car is still registered in IA, so Im not worried about emissions.

It doesn't support Jackal, but it is flashable using EvoFlash and you can use EvoScan for logging. People have sample rates over 150 samples/sec.

ECUs sell for $150-200 last time I checked and the EvoScan cable and software run about $120. EvoFlash is free.

At the moment, almost nothing on the Evo8 ECU is sacred. I'm leaning towards that as my next step tuning solution, since I already have the cable and software to logging my 2g.

We're working on SD with the evo ecu in a 2g. It really shouldn't be any different than an evo but AFAIK no one has actually done it yet. I'm currently waiting on a MAT sensor and then I should be good as far as hardware goes since I finished my MAP install today. Then it is just a matter of getting the software correct.

This is the first I've heard of the Evo8 ECU swap. What are the major advantages?

It is flashable.

That is the only advantage but it is huge. It is just like having an eprom and being able to burn your own chips except that you never have to touch anything except your computer. There is immense support for it so you can edit fuel and timing maps to do whatever you want and nearly any feature that DSMlink has can be done with the evo8 ecu, it just may take a bit more work/learning.

I guess have some options here. Thanks for the link hak, thats exactly what I needed. Glad you have an honest opinion!

The wiring for the 1g ECU does not look impossible as Nick has seen. Although the EVO8 ECU would be easier, Im still leaning towards a 1G ECU. I guess I have thinking to do, but the car runs great on the 2G EPROM + DSMlink right now.

I just came across this today. Turns out I am having issues with my wiring. It can be done and has been but I must have missed something along the way. I'm posting about it on The Galant Center and in the thread linked above. Good luck whichever way you choose to go.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back