1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

1G Eagle Rod Bolt Stretch issues

Posted by willyp42, Jul 2, 2020

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. willyp42

willyp42 Proven Member

Joined Sep 28, 2016
    Windsor, ON, Canada
    Hey Everyone,
    i got a set or Eagle H-Beams that i am trying to install however,
    instruction say to use ARP moly lube to 43 ft-lbs for 5.5-5.9" bolt stretch.
    i am using the lube supplied (arp ultra torque) smothering the threads and face as instruction say,
    43ft lbs gets me ~4 thousands stretch,
    50 ft-lbs 4.6-4.8 thou stretch.
    my torque wrench is not known to be good so i double checked it with a different torque wrench and am getting the same results.
    is it safe to go to the 55-60 ft-lbs range to get the stretch i need or am i doing something wrong?
    i am putting rod cap into rod in vise and tapping it flush before lubing and hand tightening bolts.
    i am going a little snug on each side (maybe 5 ft-lbs) before to torquing final torque value as consistant and smooth possible.
    any words to the wise?

thanks,
    -Will

2. DSMPT

DSMPT Proven Member

Joined Jun 12, 2014
    Japan / Mexico, Arizona
    Are the bolt new and you using a stretch gauge? If so, you don't need to worry much about the torque number. The stretch method is the best way to do. It's all set when the stretch numbers get within the specific range. If the bolts are used, I recommend to have them replaced with new since you are not sure how much they are already stretched.
    Just in case, if you are checking the stretch number by a caliper or something not proper equipment, then better go with the torque method.

Drag Race Build 2K  7

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 2K  4

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM
    TK's9d2TSi likes this.
  3. willyp42

willyp42 Proven Member

Joined Sep 28, 2016
    Windsor, ON, Canada
    These are brand new, my machinist torqued them down to do oil clearance.
    I bought an arp rod bolt stretch gauge just to do this. Sounds like I shouldn’t care about the torque only the stretch I am getting.
    -Will

kenuwine4g63 likes this.
  4. TK's9d2TSi

TK's9d2TSi Supporting Member

Joined Sep 11, 2017
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Think you go by the stretch since torque wrenches can vary from wrench to wrench.

522  3

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Classic
    awd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

552  4

93 Civic 4 Door -sold-
    fwd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 3K  5

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.2 @ 120 · 1G DSM
    DSMPT likes this.
  5. rabenne

rabenne Proven Member

Joined Apr 21, 2006
    Racine, Wisconsin
    I agree, and will add that bolt stretch is a much, much better indicator of clamping load than turning torque is. The important thing here is clamping load...

813  10

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM

Street Build 9K  24

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

390  7

2008 Lancer Evolution MR
    awd · automatic · Lancer Evolution
    TK's9d2TSi likes this.
  6. kenuwine4g63

kenuwine4g63 Proven Member

Joined May 26, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    Normal. I was doing this the other day and to reach the .0058-.0063 stretch mark the rod bolts needed to be around 65lb/ft. I had three that were 70lb/ft+. The stretch is more important than the torque number. What lube did you use?

kenuwine4g63

478  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    000.0 whp · 000.0 lb/ft · 2G DSM
    TK's9d2TSi and rabenne like this.
  7. willyp42

willyp42 Proven Member

Joined Sep 28, 2016
    Windsor, ON, Canada
    Hey thanks for that update, I had to go to 67 ft lbs using arp ultra torque lube, I was really worried something was wrong.
    I had 3/8” arp 2000 looking for 5.5-5.9 thou as recommended by eagle. They said target torque was 43 ft lbs using arp moly. But ultra torque was what was supplied

rabenne and TK's9d2TSi like this.