1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G 1g CAS with Kiggly Crank Trigger

Posted by snapz, May 16, 2011

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing
  1. snapz

snapz Probationary Member

Joined Feb 23, 2009
    Mobile, Alabama
    First off, thanks to everyone who contributes to this forum. It's helped me tremendously in my dsm projects.

I have a 97 gsx and finishing up my 6 bolt swap. It has the Kiggly crank sensor on it and a black 4wire 1g CAS. My ? is since I'm using the Kiggly CPS sensor, what's the proper way to wire the 4 wire 1g CAS to my 3 wire 2g harness plug without tapping into the CPS wires like the RRE and Magnus harnesses do? Surely I don't still wire it the same way while using the Kiggly cps, right?. I've read and read about the 1g cas in a 2g, but can't find this answer. Everything I've found is in regard to not running a CPS. Thanks in advance. TJ

2. 19Eclipse90

19Eclipse90 DSM Wiseman

Joined Sep 29, 2003
    OKC, Oklahoma
  3. snapz

Joined Feb 23, 2009
    Mobile, Alabama
    The email Kevin sent me prior to purchasing the trigger was as follows:

You can use either the 1g or 2g CAS that mounts on the far end of the head along with our crank trigger sensor.

So I chose to go the 1g route, to avoid tapping the end of the cam. Seems rewiring the 1g CAS would be faster and easier. Could I just swap the 2g cams into the 1g head?

4. 19Eclipse90

19Eclipse90 DSM Wiseman

Joined Sep 29, 2003
    OKC, Oklahoma
    If you have the 97+ intake cam and cam sensor on hand, I would use those.

5. snapz

Joined Feb 23, 2009
    Mobile, Alabama
    I'd rather use the 1gCAS for now instead of having to reset the timing, it's a pain with the 2g mount on the 6bolt. Anyway here's what I'm thinking. Looking at RRE's drawing could I just wire it as follows?
    CASwiring.gif

1gCAS wire 1 to 2gCAS Plug 2
    1gCAS wire 3 to 2gCAS Plug 1
    1gCAS wire 4 to 2gCAS Plug 3

Seems all you need is Signal, + and - so I don't see why that wouldn't work. Just ignore the CPS wiring. I've been considering this but wanted some advice on the wiring first. Anybody see a problem with this wiring?

6. 19Eclipse90

19Eclipse90 DSM Wiseman

Joined Sep 29, 2003
    OKC, Oklahoma
    In that case, I don't see any problems with it even though it isn't my personal preference. Have at it and let us know how it turns out. :thumb:

7. Frskrgps

Frskrgps Proven Member

Joined Aug 11, 2007
    statesville, North Carolina
    Snapz any word on how this worked out? I am have the same problem with my car on the same set up.

8. snapz

Joined Feb 23, 2009
    Mobile, Alabama
    Oops guess i should have updated this. It worked perfectly like I suggested. never had an issue out of it.

9. hisandherturbo

hisandherturbo Proven Member

Joined Jul 27, 2005
    colorado springs, Colorado
    Just wondering if you ever ran your car without the kiggly if you noticed a difference

10. DECODER22

DECODER22 Supporting VIP

Joined Jul 20, 2004
    Janesville, Wisconsin

did u get any random misfire using the kiggly crank sensor with the 1g cas??

DECODER22

570  0

1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 1G DSM
  11. snapz

Joined Feb 23, 2009
    Mobile, Alabama
    I only got to run the motor for a month or so before tranny went out. I can't say for sure how it will turn out for the long haul but for the time I was driving it it worked fine with no issues. Tranny will be rebuilt this summer so I'll know more about the sensor after then.

12. ceedawg

ceedawg Supporting Member

Joined Jun 2, 2004
    laurelton, New York
    Snapz any updates on this? How does the car feel like hisandherturbo says?

ceedawg

2K  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  13. NHerron

NHerron Proven Member

Joined Nov 5, 2011
    Missoula, Montana
    I'm in the middle of the Kiggly install and for future reference, I choose to keep the 1g CAS. Reason being, if the Kiggly sensor fails, all I'd have to do is cut the blue wire and hook it back up to the 1g CAS crank output and be on my way. Secondly, for those who use adjustable cam gears it would end up changing (injector or spark cant remember) timing if adjusting the intake cam, so being adjustable is pretty important.

If I remember I'll update this thread in a few weeks to how the sensor works out.

1K  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    11.230 @ 127.000 · 2G DSM
  14. spawn87

spawn87 Proven Member

Joined Dec 6, 2007
    sacramento, California
    im not trying to revive a dead thread. but this can be very helpfull to many me included.

any update on this set up?

689  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    14.468 @ 101.474 · 2G DSM
  15. bpk1337

bpk1337 Proven Member

Joined Oct 28, 2008
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Sorry to revive a dead thread. I am about to do this exact set up. 1g CAS + Kiggly's 6-bolt crank sensor. I also should mention that I plan on installing an Evo 8 ECU, and that I already have my timing belt installed. My question is, would I still need to set up base ignition timing with a timing light? Or is this redundant?

16. lasthope05

lasthope05 Proven Member

Joined Mar 31, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    When using the kiggly unit, if mechanical timing is correct base timing stays static so there is no adjustment.

bpk1337 likes this.
  17. bpk1337

bpk1337 Proven Member

Joined Oct 28, 2008
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Thank you!

18. NHerron

NHerron Proven Member

Joined Nov 5, 2011
    Missoula, Montana
    IIRC, crank is spark timing, cam is injector timing.

Actually you bring up a good point- if using the Kiggly and 1g CAS (which is adjustable) I believe you would have to first set timing with the 1g (use 1g crank + cam signals) once you're set, then hookup your Kiggly.

Reason being is, yes the mechanical timing is correct and the crank signal is not adjustable, but where would you set the cam adjustment? A bad adjustment would lead to injector timing being off, I would think.

1K  0

19. bpk1337

bpk1337 Proven Member

Joined Oct 28, 2008
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I was not sure of this either. Can anyone else chime in to confirm or explain this for us? Wisemen?

20. NHerron

NHerron Proven Member

Joined Nov 5, 2011
    Missoula, Montana
    If you can, try this. Watching a timing light, adjust your 1g CAS and see if timing changes. If it don't change but the engine sounds different, then there's confirmation.

I would but my project is not done. Makes me sick to see my last post from a million years ago, knowing I haven't done much to it since.

1K  0

21. bastarddsm

bastarddsm Proven Member

Joined Aug 26, 2003
    Mendota, Illinois
    FYI guys all the timing events are based off the crank angle sensor pulses. The cam sensor signal only tells it what cylinder is firing. Basically summed up, The ecu has a window it listens for the cam sensor to go high, if it does it says #1 is on firing stroke.

When you run a 1g cas on a 2g, that cam sensor signal isn't exactly right, so sometimes it doesn't go high when the ecu is expecting it, and you get the random missfire code.

If you are running the kiggly, I'd run the 2g cam sensor for sure.

Showcar Build 5K  1

1991 Eagle Talon N/T
    9.805 @ 144.00 · 1G DSM
  22. bpk1337

bpk1337 Proven Member

Joined Oct 28, 2008
    Phoenix, Arizona
    bastarddsm, can you give an example or explain why the 1g cam signal would be inaccurate a 2g? Switching to a 2g cam sensor would be a lot of work for me at this point, but I will if I have to..

23. bastarddsm

bastarddsm Proven Member

Joined Aug 26, 2003
    Mendota, Illinois

Showcar Build 5K  1

1991 Eagle Talon N/T
    9.805 @ 144.00 · 1G DSM
  24. bpk1337

bpk1337 Proven Member

Joined Oct 28, 2008
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Interesting... Looking at the first graph, it seems like the cam signal should sequence up with the injector #1 trigger signal each time unless you have a 95-96 Eclipse. If that is the case, then the signal would be reversed? I could be wrong.. But then that kind of leads me back to my original question.

Will injector and spark timing from pin 1 be affected by the rotation of the 1g cas even if I don't use the yellow wire from pin 2?

25. bastarddsm

bastarddsm Proven Member

Joined Aug 26, 2003
    Mendota, Illinois
    No. The ecu will get confused occasionally and not know what cylinder it's on.

Showcar Build 5K  1

1991 Eagle Talon N/T
    9.805 @ 144.00 · 1G DSM